Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: 12 Unusual Ways to Beat the Heat

12 unusual, yet Practical ways to cool off in the summer heat when you don't have any air conditioning

Read More: Article: 12 Unusual Ways to Beat the Heat
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

thank you for these ideas. We have not had central air for over 25 years. A little window air conditioner in the kitchen helps in there so I can use the oven. We turn the fan on from the central heat (turn the heat off). It brings the cool air up from the basement and circulates the air very well. An outside entrance from the basement is opened at night to bring in cooler air again and keeps our home at a comfortable temp. Also, don't run the air conditioner in the car for short trips. Once you get that cool, it doesn't matter how cool the house is, it won't be cool enough.
    Thank you for all the great adivice you provide. I always find great tips and ideas here. http://www.budget101.com/images/smilies/loveshower.gif

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

When my a/c went out a few months ago, I put damp washcloths in the freezer. When they were frozen (which doesn't take very long) we would put them on our necks or forehead to cool off.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

An old South City trick to help reduce the rising temperature of your dwelling. Put shiny side of aluminum foil in your windows facing outside. It works just like an auto window cover. It may only reduce your temperature by a couple of degrees, but it works.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

We do have central heat/air but want to save on our energy bills. Instead of aluminum foil on the windows, we buy the emergency blankets that are sold in the sporting goods/camping section of stores like Walmart. For less than $3 you get a very large piece of reflective material that really stops the sun from entering through the windows. Easy to put up with a little tape and easy to take down for winter.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Re: 12 Unusual Ways to Beat the Heat

Quote Originally Posted by katpet View Post
    We do have central heat/air but want to save on our energy bills. Instead of aluminum foil on the windows, we buy the emergency blankets that are sold in the sporting goods/camping section of stores like Walmart. For less than $3 you get a very large piece of reflective material that really stops the sun from entering through the windows. Easy to put up with a little tape and easy to take down for winter.
    Love this idea . I am going to the Walmart to get some !!!!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I made a swamp cooler and it works really good and like the rice idea didn't know that one

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

What great ideas, I can't wait to try some out!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast