Help with lice!

my kids are 9, almost 3 and twin girls that are almost 2. the girls will sit for me but the 3 year old won't under any circumstances. it takes two people to cut his hair so sitting and picking thru is not an option. i am planning on having his head just about shaved as that will make it easier.

advance, advice, days, eve, great, hair, hat, head, hot, ideas, kids, options, plan, planning, shampoo, things, wash, win, world, year, girls, lice, gaurenteed, bugs, nits, daughter, nicholas, katrina, natural, alexandria, couple, welcomed, austin, greatly, excema, brandy, careful, takes, circumstances, people, sitting, picking, twin, option, find, pretty, shaved, make, easier, linens

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help with lice!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help with lice!

my kids are 9, almost 3 and twin girls that are almost 2. the girls
    will sit for me but the 3 year old won't under any circumstances. it
    takes two people to cut his hair so sitting and picking thru is not an
    option. i am planning on having his head just about shaved as that
    will make it easier. i dont want to cut my girls hair because it is
    just so pretty that i am trying to find other options. so far i have
    used the lice shampoo, and hot wash for the linens. are there any
    natural things that i can do over and over for a couple of days or
    something gaurenteed to get the bugs and nits out? my one daughter has
    excema so i have to be so careful what i use on her. any ideas even if
    out of this world would be greatly welcomed.

thanks for all the advice in advance,
    brandy,
    austin, nicholas katrina and alexandria
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is what worked for me. Do all the cleaning things. Use the lice shampoo (Nix is what my dr recommended) and get some metal lice combs. I double bagged the pillows and washed the sheets/pillowcases every day for a few days. Boil all combs and brushes. Think about anything that your kids head touches (car seat, back of couch, etc) and cover it with a towel that you change out daily (to prevent re-infestation) and for about 2 or 3 days sit down with the kids and comb their hair out with the metal combs. What I did was get a pot of boiling water and put the combs in it. I?d run the comb once through the hair and drop it in the boiling water pot, then pick up the other comb and use it. The key for me was to keep the combs hot! My ?theory? is that the heat made the comb swell which got the nits out also the heat ?fried? the nits so they?d be easier to remove. That was done on my 6yo who would sit still. My 2 yo, I just doused her head in oil/mayo/vinegar and then after a few hours I chased her around the house for a few hrs trying to comb her hair out. She has real thin hair so the lice weren?t too interested, they much preferred my 6yo. She came home from visiting my mom and the lice were literally falling out of her hair?it was gross! After one shampoo and 2 days of using my ?hot comb? techinique (twice a day) her head was clean. That was about 2 months ago and they even had a ?lice? scare at VBS where several of her classmates came down with lice but thankfully she missed that episode?.

Good luck, Let me know if you try the hot comb, I?d like to know if it works for anyone else.

Carol

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

RE: Budget101.com : Help with lice!

Thanks, I never thought of using hot water on the combs. I will give it a try. I hate lice. Thanks again. brandy

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

try a hair dryer they dont like heat wash everthing and use a dryer

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

try vinger in the hair; may wrap in plastic bag 2 hr(some said vasaline or Pbutter but it Har d to get out) was everthing in borax and but on floors use a hair dryer and dry everthing in a drayer they do not like heat

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Help with lice!

I have used mayonaisse and baby oil....you have to use dawn liquid
    dish soap along with shampoo to wash it out but it gets the nits out
    pretty easliy...

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would definitely recommend getting your son's head shaved!! That will rid you
    of his for sure And their hair grows back so fast.

The only thing guaranteed to get them all is to pick all the eggs out of the
    hair. I know how tedious this is - my daughter got lice in kindergarten and it
    took me 5 days of searching and picking eggs out for her to be lice free. She
    has extremely thick and curly hair so it would take me 6-8 hours to go through
    her entire head (literally!). I did MUCH research online and there are numerous
    advocates of using the chemicals vs. not using them. But the biggest helpful
    thing I learned is to look for the eggs. Most people (our school included) uses
    a no nit policy. Nits are the empty egg sacs left on the hair shaft from
    emerging live lice. It is harder to see the eggs as they are translucent with a
    brown center. You can see them much better outside in the sunlight - the light
    will help reflect them. I tried using the lice combs but they pulled her hair
    so I opted to use tweezers and hairclips to keep the sections seperated. At
    night I would sit her directly under a lamp while she laid in my lap and pick
    them out then, too. Not as effective as sunlight but she could at least watch
    TV and not think about what I was doing.

You also need to make sure you've gotten rid of them in their bedding, brushes
    and clothing. Don't forget to treat the car if they've been in there while
    infected.

Good luck -
    Yolonda

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a product called LiceFree, but didn't use it. I bought it only for the comb that came with it. Doing my own hair, it took less than an hour. I washed my hair with Nix, not Rid, because I read somewhere that lice are becoming resistant to Rid.

Remember to bag up the stuffed animals and any jackets/bedding that cannot be washed for at least three weeks. (Preferably four). The LiceFree is supposed to be awesome, I got it cheap at Wal-mart

I used a cheap Balsam and Protein conditioner, fully saturated my hair and used the comb, now easier to get it through. That should work for your girls.

As for the boy, shaving his head close shouldn't look bad, my husband keeps his nearly shaved all the time. And hair grows really fast. Once you shave it, you'll be able to see absolutely everything.

If your kids are itching bad, and can take it, Benedryl can help alleviate the itching.

Good luck!

~Jenn

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast