MYO Rice Krispies Cereal

So, I was researching how rice krispies were made and now I want to see if I can actually make my own! Rice Krispies are an example of a puffed grain cereal, and the three puffed grains that you commonly see in the cereal aisle are rice, wheat and corn. There are also a lot of puffed dough cereals

homemade cereal, myo rice krispys, rice, cereal, kernel, krispies, moisture, puffed, inside, popcorn, steam, make, condition, shell, starch, regular, pressure, store, bought, missing, hard, oven-pop, snap, wondering, water, process, ideas, added, milk, oven-popped, oil-pop, makes, crackle, aisle, commonly, grains, wheat, corn, grain, made, researching, dough, cereals, industry, breakfast, common, case, krispy, popped, similar

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MYO Rice Krispies Cereal

So, I was researching how rice krispies were made and now I want to see if I can actually make my own!
    Rice Krispies are an example of a puffed grain cereal, and the three puffed grains that you commonly see in the cereal aisle are rice, wheat and corn. There are also a lot of puffed dough cereals -- in the United States, you see Trix, Kix, Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs and so on. Puffing is very common in the breakfast cereal industry!

In the case of a Rice Krispy, you pop the rice similar to popcorn is popped. Popcorn needs three things to make popcorn: Moisture inside the kernel, starch inside the kernel and a hard shell to contain the pressure.
    Regular store bought rice is missing the moisture, but if you condition it with steam to get enough moisture inside the kernel, you can either oven-pop rice or oil-pop it.

. Rice Krispies are actually oven-popped, which is what makes them "snap! crackle! pop!" when milk is added.

I'm just wondering.. how much water should I add in the steam process to get moisture into the kernel... any ideas?
    ~* B101 Sistah *~

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MYO Rice Krispies Cereal

I think it would be especially exciting to make my own Rice Krispy Cereal. I wish I knew for sure....but I don't. It seems like when you steam rice, that certainly gets moisture in it. Maybe if we steam it, and then put it in a paperbag into the microwave that might work...like popcorn! OR, perhaps if we steam it part way and try popping it like popcorn in oil in a saucepan on the stove? I think I'll give it a try both ways...they may neither work, but hey what have I lost?

Downloads
    Uploads

P. S. It seems like just popping it in the oven (unless we did it in a covered pot) the rice crispies would go everywhere! Gonna give the pot in the oven a try too. I think I will partially steam the rice for all three ways and see what happens. I'll post what happens!

Downloads
    Uploads

When I did my experiment, I tried steaming my rice with a 1-1 ratio, instead of the regular 1-2 ration with the water, figuring it would not fully cook the rice, but would perhaps give it some if not all of the moisture it needed to pop. Wrong. It just burned. It turns out that it pops better without being soaked or steamed. I found a few sites that were interesting...and probably one of them is the one you found. Anyway, this one is one that had some success, that you may want to take a gander at. I liked it...so might you!

Make your own Rice Krispies! | The Undaunted Kitchen