Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Question about homemade laundry detergent

My husband and I are using cloth diapers for our daughter. However, the homemade laundry detergent doesn't take the urine smell out of it and it is rank!! Normally, we use bleach when we wash them along side with the detergent, but since we have run out we have discovered the lack of odor-fighting strength in the detergent. Does anyone have a suggestion to freshen up by daughter's diapers....and anything else that gets tossed into the mix?

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question about homemade laundry detergent

Which homemade laundry recipe are you using?
    Have you tried the Mom`s laundry sauce Liss posted a bit back?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lmitchell View Post
    My husband and I are using cloth diapers for our daughter. However, the homemade laundry detergent doesn't take the urine smell out of it and it is rank!! Normally, we use bleach when we wash them along side with the detergent, but since we have run out we have discovered the lack of odor-fighting strength in the detergent. Does anyone have a suggestion to freshen up by daughter's diapers....and anything else that gets tossed into the mix?
    It depends on which recipe you're following- are you using the Laundry Sauce recipe?

Regardless, you're best bet is to presoak diapers in a bucket of white vinegar to break down the uric acid Prior to washing. Even commercial detergents won't get dried soaked urine out completely without presoaking the diapers. They should be soaked and wrung out prior to washing.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use the laundry sauce posted. My first wash is always a short, cold rinse with vinegar, spin. Then wash on warm with a regular amount of sause, 2 rinses (I have a 2 rinse button on my washer) with vinegar in the softener dispenser. If you've noticed it's gotten rather bad you might not be rinsing enough of the detergent out. Try stripping them and then rinsing at least twice, maybe more.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

My generational almost all started off with cloth diapers. It was an accepted practise to rinse the diapers first. Hanging them out to dry in the sun would help as well.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try putting apple cider vinegar in the rinse water it softens as well as as getting rid of odors.