Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Salvaging a tomato plant

One of our tomato plants fell today. It was in a homemade upside down planter. Somehow the bolt became loose and it fell down. The stem at the base of the plant near the planter opening snapped. Is there anything we can do to save the plant?

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Salvaging a tomato plant

The plant may send up new growth from the roots, depending on how much damage was done and how old the plant is.

The top of the plant can be encouraged to grow roots by taking a cutting putting it in water in a vase (or the bottom 2/3 of a quart milk jug) - cover at least one lower leaf and then put it where it will get some sunshine. You should have roots and be ready to plant within about 2 weeks. Just a note: I am not encouraging you to create more plants; that would be illegal because tomato varieties are often patented. However when you bought one plant you bought the right to raise and enjoy fruit from one plant, and this is just one plant.

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
    The plant may send up new growth from the roots, depending on how much damage was done and how old the plant is.

The top of the plant can be encouraged to grow roots by taking a cutting putting it in water in a vase (or the bottom 2/3 of a quart milk jug) - cover at least one lower leaf and then put it where it will get some sunshine. You should have roots and be ready to plant within about 2 weeks. Just a note: I am not encouraging you to create more plants; that would be illegal because tomato varieties are often patented. However when you bought one plant you bought the right to raise and enjoy fruit from one plant, and this is just one plant.
    I don't know which is more sad to me... the fact that she worked so hard to grow a beautiful plant and it crashed and broke and she's trying to save it... or the fact that jrodgers had to add a legal disclaimer to her post because some corporation out there Patented Vegetable Seeds!!!

The level of depravity in this world just keeps increasing by the day!
    ~ Lioness~

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

No one follows those seed disclaimers. And sadly, the plant did not make it. We are going to see what we can do to get another plant to grow, but we are not sure. At least this was a planter with only one plant in it. If it was my double or triple, I would cry.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lmitchell View Post
    No one follows those seed disclaimers. And sadly, the plant did not make it. We are going to see what we can do to get another plant to grow, but we are not sure. At least this was a planter with only one plant in it. If it was my double or triple, I would cry.
    I know how you feel, our (store-bought) Tipsy Turvy planter did the same thing and it split my tomato plant in half. Earlier in the summer we were going camping and I needed someone to water my homemade upside down planters daily and brought them to a friend, she loved them so much, I felt like a jerk for taking them back. Now I kinda wish I had!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is a late reply to this, but just for future information to anyone else who might see this. If you have a tomato plant break off, the bottom part most likely won't produce anything. BUT, if you plant the TOP part that broke off in the ground it will grow and create its own roots. (In the beginning you need to water it daily) One of mine broke off in a storm this year and I thought it was lost. I asked an expert gardener and they told me to plant the top part in the ground immediately and thank goodness I did. I now have a full grown very productive plant. There are tomatoes galore.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also dip the broken end in rooting hormone powder before planting it and use some of those "jelly" jewels from the floral department at the dollar store to help keep the root moist when you plant it. That way if you forget to water it, it wont die.
    Rolling with the Punches, folks, nothing to see here...