Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

I challenge each of you to post your favorite frugal Holiday Gift Ideas! I thought it would be nice to share some ideas for various ages, occupations, etc.

~Liss
    http://www.Budget101.com
    http://www.KitchenMixGifts.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

It seems like no matter what I gave my mother for Christmas she never liked it. So one year I got so fed up I bought her a cheap pretty 99 cent bowl and wrapped it in an expensive looking box and she loved it. It looked like I paid tons of money for it, because I wrapped the gift in white tissue paper before putting it into the box, then wrapped the box in gold foil paper and bought one of those pretty big decorative bows to put on top. The whole gift cost me about $5.00.

Since that worked out so well, the next year I bought cheap pretty Christmas tree balls, wrapped each ball in tissue paper and put them into a decorative tin and she thought those where great too. So I found it doesn't matter how much you spend on a gift, just make the wrapping look expensive.
    Laurie

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

It seems like no matter what I gave my mother for Christmas she never liked it. So one year I got so fed up I bought her a cheap pretty 99 cent bowl and wrapped it in an expensive looking box and she loved it. It looked like I paid tons of money for it, because I wrapped the gift in white tissue paper before putting it into the box, then wrapped the box in gold foil paper and bought one of those pretty big decorative bows to put on top. The whole gift cost me about $5.00.

Since that worked out so well, the next year I bought cheap pretty Christmas tree balls, wrapped each ball in tissue paper and put them into a decorative tin and she thought those where great too. So I found it doesn't matter how much you spend on a gift, just make the wrapping look expensive.
    Laurie

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

so true. I have given fudge before and my mother in law has loved it so much, that now she asks for it yearly.
    Connie

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

My budget is about $1/person or $5/family. I like to make personalized ornaments. Sometimes I buy the wooden or plaster ones and paint them or sometimes I buy the clear balls that you can put stuff in. One year I put fake red hibiscus flowers in them and said Merry Christmas from Hawaii. You can get bundles of flowers in the flower section of a craft store for pretty cheap. Make sure they will fit in through the hole in the top of the ornament but still fill out inside. Invest in one good metallic paint pen ($4) and then figure out how many people you will have to buy for (usually 40 in our case) so I get 4-dozen of the ornaments ($2/dozen on sale) and then something to put inside or cover the outside with tissue paper or fabric scraps ($5 at most) So for less than $20 bucks I can usually get everyone a little something. Of course we send a family newsletter with photos inserted into them. (You can email them to most people FREE) Mail or deliver them to grandparents and others who don't have email. Plus if at the last moment you forget someone it isn't hard to put together a special gift for them. Just make sure that each year is a little different so that everyone knows you are going to give an ornament but each year it is a surprise what it is going to be. We have a theme each Christmas, this year its PEACE so everything is blue and white. Painted snowflake ornaments with a photo of our daughter inside for Grandparents and baby jars decoupaged w/ tissue paper and painted lids with little votive candles inside the jar and photos of our daughter inside the lid. Its still an ornament(lid) and a candle holder(jar) (The lid has a piece of ribbon hot glued around the edge that ties into a little bow. If you untie it, tie it into a knot, it makes the holder for the ornament.) Forty of these make the rest of my gifts.
    For neighbors and good friends and close family I sometime throw in a dozen cookies or brownies to make it one gift for the whole family. So they get one family ornament, the newsletter from our family, and a plate of deserts. (Easy way to get around getting gifts for your neighbors and coworkers kids) -Jessica

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just picked up a photo calender for $2.00. I plan on filling it up with pictures of my kids so they can give to Grandma and Grandpa for Christmas. I also picked 2 more up for my brothers who live out of state and we don't get to see each other very often. $6.00 for Grandma, Grandpa 2 Uncles and 2 Aunts...thought that was pretty good

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I crochet each female in my family either dishcloths or toppers of kitchen towels.
    I also make christmas kitchen angels.
    I also give earring to the ones with periced ears that I pick up at sales or onebay

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I crochet each female in my family either dishcloths or toppers of kitchen towels.
    I also make christmas kitchen angels.
    I also give earring to the ones with periced ears that I pick up at sales or onebay

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast