Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge- Christmas-Yule-hanukkah-Kwanzaa-Winter Solstice

I challenge each of you to post your favorite frugal Holiday Gift Ideas! I thought it would be nice to share some ideas for various ages, occupations, etc. ~Liss http://www.Budget101.com http://www.KitchenMixGifts.com

ages, budget, budget101, challenge, favorite, frugal, gif, gift, gift idea, gift ideas, holiday, ice, idea, ideas, nice, post, share, thought, url, http://www.kitchenmixgifts.com, http://www.budget101.com, ~liss, occupations

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

I challenge each of you to post your favorite frugal Holiday Gift Ideas! I thought it would be nice to share some ideas for various ages, occupations, etc.

~Liss
    http://www.Budget101.com

http://www.KitchenMixGifts.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

It seems like no matter what I gave my mother for Christmas she never liked it. So one year I got so fed up I bought her a cheap pretty 99 cent bowl and wrapped it in an expensive looking box and she loved it. It looked like I paid tons of money for it, because I wrapped the gift in white tissue paper before putting it into the box, then wrapped the box in gold foil paper and bought one of those pretty big decorative bows to put on top. The whole gift cost me about $5.00.

Since that worked out so well, the next year I bought cheap pretty Christmas tree balls, wrapped each ball in tissue paper and put them into a decorative tin and she thought those where great too. So I found it doesn't matter how much you spend on a gift, just make the wrapping look expensive.
    Laurie

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

It seems like no matter what I gave my mother for Christmas she never liked it. So one year I got so fed up I bought her a cheap pretty 99 cent bowl and wrapped it in an expensive looking box and she loved it. It looked like I paid tons of money for it, because I wrapped the gift in white tissue paper before putting it into the box, then wrapped the box in gold foil paper and bought one of those pretty big decorative bows to put on top. The whole gift cost me about $5.00.

Since that worked out so well, the next year I bought cheap pretty Christmas tree balls, wrapped each ball in tissue paper and put them into a decorative tin and she thought those where great too. So I found it doesn't matter how much you spend on a gift, just make the wrapping look expensive.
    Laurie

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

so true. I have given fudge before and my mother in law has loved it so much, that now she asks for it yearly.

Connie

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

My budget is about $1/person or $5/family. I like to make personalized ornaments. Sometimes I buy the wooden or plaster ones and paint them or sometimes I buy the clear balls that you can put stuff in. One year I put fake red hibiscus flowers in them and said Merry Christmas from Hawaii. You can get bundles of flowers in the flower section of a craft store for pretty cheap. Make sure they will fit in through the hole in the top of the ornament but still fill out inside. Invest in one good metallic paint pen ($4) and then figure out how many people you will have to buy for (usually 40 in our case) so I get 4-dozen of the ornaments ($2/dozen on sale) and then something to put inside or cover the outside with tissue paper or fabric scraps ($5 at most) So for less than $20 bucks I can usually get everyone a little something. Of course we send a family newsletter with photos inserted into them. (You can email them to most people FREE) Mail or deliver them to grandparents and others who don't have email. Plus if at the last moment you forget someone it isn't hard to put together a special gift for them. Just make sure that each year is a little different so that everyone knows you are going to give an ornament but each year it is a surprise what it is going to be. We have a theme each Christmas, this year its PEACE so everything is blue and white. Painted snowflake ornaments with a photo of our daughter inside for Grandparents and baby jars decoupaged w/ tissue paper and painted lids with little votive candles inside the jar and photos of our daughter inside the lid. Its still an ornament(lid) and a candle holder(jar) (The lid has a piece of ribbon hot glued around the edge that ties into a little bow. If you untie it, tie it into a knot, it makes the holder for the ornament.) Forty of these make the rest of my gifts.
    For neighbors and good friends and close family I sometime throw in a dozen cookies or brownies to make it one gift for the whole family. So they get one family ornament, the newsletter from our family, and a plate of deserts. (Easy way to get around getting gifts for your neighbors and coworkers kids) -Jessica

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just picked up a photo calender for $2.00. I plan on filling it up with pictures of my kids so they can give to Grandma and Grandpa for Christmas. I also picked 2 more up for my brothers who live out of state and we don't get to see each other very often. $6.00 for Grandma, Grandpa 2 Uncles and 2 Aunts...thought that was pretty good

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I crochet each female in my family either dishcloths or toppers of kitchen towels.
    I also make christmas kitchen angels.
    I also give earring to the ones with periced ears that I pick up at sales or onebay

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I crochet each female in my family either dishcloths or toppers of kitchen towels.
    I also give earring to the ones with periced ears that I pick up at sales or onebay

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm curious as to what a Kitchen Angel is, and how it's made.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

My sister is taking XXX size white t-shirts and painting palm tree/beach scene for beach coverups...We live in Florida..

Sherry Lou

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

One of my favorite things to make is a lighted pinecone basket...You can find a pretty basket in a resale shop or yard slae, go hunting for pine cones, in the woods, at walmart( they have scented pinecone that smell WONDERFUL) and pretty white or colored lights...small strand 25? Wind string of lights in and around the pine cones, wind the plug through the bottom of the basket...make a small hole if nessessary, add a few silver or gold ornaments and plug in the lights...VERY pretty..nice night lite for bathroom or hallway.

Christine
    Tustin Michigan

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here are some things I have done:

I buy clearance Christmas items after Christmas and keep for the next year. Some stores will discount items by as much as 90%!!! I have bought placemats for 19 cents each, tablecloths for 50 cents, Christmas cooky jars for $2, and cooky cutters for 5 cents each! I also have stocked up on Christmas serving dishes, candles, individual ornaments and ribbon and gift wrap at exceptional savings.

Last year I gave cooky jars and instead of filling them with cookies, I gave a bag of flour and a bag of sugar with them. I wrapped them and instead of a bow, I tied on several Christmas cooky cutters.

I haven't baked too much in the past few years, but a cheese ball on a pretty holiday serving dish with a couple of boxes of crackers makes a nice gift, and I have added holiday spreaders too.

A few years ago I bought bottles of spices at Big Lots for two for a dollar. I lined a "recycled" basket with a holiday dish towel and arranged the bottles in the basket with a string of dried red chili peppers and 5 or 6 bulbs of garlic. I added a holiday candle and wrapped it in all up in cellophane and added a bow. The spices cost me $4 for 8. The peppers and garlic came from the garden free ! The dish towel and candle were clearance sale Christmas items. The whole thing cost me less than $5 and was really nice. This was a gift for someone who had recently moved out on her own and she loved it.

I took a class several years ago, and I learned how to make beautiful bows, but often I skip the bow and tie on an ornament instead with curling ribbon to "dress up" the package. Ribbon can be expensive, even when it is discounted, and the bow will more times than not end up in the trash.

My son saves the Sunday Comics section and uses it to wrap his gifts.

I will think again tonight and see if I can think of any more..............................

Peggy in Ohio

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re:Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

My favorite gifts to give are:

1 Take a plastic or glass jar with a lid and fill with either person's
    favorite candy, chocolates, different types of herbal teas or mini spa
    things (all can be found at the dollar store). Write the person's
    name or initials on the outside of the jar with a Sharpie (if plastic)
    or paint pen if glass (you must let this set). Add hang tag.

2 Winter scarf, gloves ($1 ones from Walmart), hand lotion, and
    plastic coffe mug with lid place with in a cute basket or bag and
    write "Winter survival kit" on tag or bag.

I try not spend more than $10 per person, but I dont buy many gifts
    outside of my kids, DH, mom, dad, and siblings.

I usually send cards with our family photos, bookmark, or small
    trinket.

Cam

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Budget101 Holiday Gift Idea Challenge

Buget gifts Ive given.

This year I made my whole family grinch cristmass tree ornaments from blown eggs. They were easy!

Last year I made them all hand made soaps from scratch. orange blossome for the wemon and shaveing soaps for the guys.

I also made a friend a scrapbook set. Easy to get cheap suplies from the Dollar Tree.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast