How to Fix Oxidized Kitchen Utensils- vBCms Comments

Did you wash your kitchenaid mixer attachments in the dishwasher and now they leave nasty black streaks on everything they touch? Here's a simple remedy to remove the oxidized mess on your favorite utensils Read More: Article: How to Fix Oxidized Kitchen Utensils

utensils, oxidized, article, kitchen, simple, touch, favorite, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=4128-how-to-fix-oxidized-kitchen-utensils, read, mess, remove, remedy, kitchenaid, mixer, wash, attachments, nasty, black, leave, dishwasher, streaks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: How to Fix Oxidized Kitchen Utensils

Did you wash your kitchenaid mixer attachments in the dishwasher and now they leave nasty black streaks on everything they touch? Here's a simple remedy to remove the oxidized mess on your favorite utensils

Read More: Article: How to Fix Oxidized Kitchen Utensils
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Unregistered

Thanks. The dough hook on my mixer had oxydized. Your suggestion fixed it. Cheers, John M, Golden Co.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have this Problem, I am going to do this asap. So silly I didn't think to do this before I use vinegar for everything!!!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for sharing this!! I have several things I need to do this to! Trying this today!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm going to try this on our ice cream scoop, I did get gray fingers and gray ice cream eww.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Going to try this, but does anyone know how long it lasts?

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am glad this was posted but it makes me wonder why a company would make something that oxidizes in the dishwasher... everyone uses a dishwasher... i had a similar experience with an ice cream scoop.. threw it out and bought stainless steel...

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am so disappointed with Kitchenaid and this problem with attachments losing finish in dishwater. It stinks of cost cutting at the expense of the customer. You can buy the attachments that are dishwasher safe. I think I would rather buy new mixer from Breville and put Kitchenaid in the trash.

Stephani

I tried this today with mom's Kitchenaid whisk attachment and our old ice cream scoop. The whisk came out wonderfully, but I think the ice cream scoop is a lost cause. On the side it says not to boil it, which I only remembered when pulling it out after 25 minutes.

Unregistered

I made a cake this morning but realized afterwards the the paddle had oxidized. I am worried that I will poison someone. Is it possible to poison someone if the oxidation was in the cake batter? Please advise.

Unregistered

Default Re: How to Fix Oxidized Kitchen Utensils

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I made a cake this morning but realized afterwards the the paddle had oxidized. I am worried that I will poison someone. Is it possible to poison someone if the oxidation was in the cake batter? Please advise.
    That is my question as well!! when I couldn't find a response here or ANYWHERE on line, I simply trashed the cake....don't want to chance it! Additionally, was it my imagination or did I actually detect a metal taste in the cake? Too risky!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is my question as well!! when I couldn't find a response here or ANYWHERE on line, I simply trashed the cake....don't want to chance it! Additionally, was it my imagination or did I actually detect a metal taste in the cake? Too risky!
    From Kitchenaid when we contacted them about the beaters: The Burnished Aluminum Beaters are not dishwasher safe, as per the use and care manual. Placing them in the dishwasher causes them to oxidize. You may wish to try using a citrus cleaner to try and remove the oxidization.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact our KitchenAid Customer Satisfaction Center at 800-541-6390. Our hours are 8am to 8pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 5pm(ET) on Saturday.
    If you're seriously worried about it, call them and ask. It's just a little bit of oxidation, it's no big deal.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Random Lady!

Default Re: Oxidized Kitchen Utensils

If your ice scream scoop is like mine, there's anti-freeze type stuff inside, and has a plastic-ish cap to keep it in there. Supposedly makes for easier scooping. I'm thinking the boiling may have allowed the escape of the afore-mentioned stuff when the two materials expanded at different rates.
    I bet the dishwashers water gets hot enough to cause leaking, too.

You'd probably still have a fine scooper without the antifreeze in there, I sure have no evidence of mine having anything remaining --its well over 30 years old-- (I think we should hear some liquid rattling around when it is shaken.) I usually heat mine up with hottest tap water before scooping, it helps a little; you can also just let the ice cream thaw for 10 min before serving.

We probably should be hand washing anything made of aluminum, including the aluminum whisk to our kitchenaid! I'm fortunate to have a stainless steel whisk to my 1970s vintage Kitchenaid, which i often wash in the DW, and no problems. I may have to try the vinegar trick on my ice cream scoop, but sans boiling in case there is still antifreeze stuff in there.

Now I'm going to go check If it says "do not boil" on it!

Thanks for the info!

Random Lady!

I don't think I'd eat a cake that got black stuff in it, just cos lt looks awful. However there is probably not much danger in consuming one or two servings. I think they say it's the cumulative intake that poses a problem in the body (and keep in mind not definitively proven that aluminum causes Alzheimer's, but why chance it, right?) Martha Stewart avoids any contact of food to aluminum, to the point that she put parchment inside the foil she was cooking fish n veg in one time that I saw! I still say hand washing is worth the extra trouble, and when you think about it, how much bad stuff is washing over all the other dishes in DW along with the aluminum?

Unregistered

Iíve been boiling my whisk attachment for over an hour; still giving off black stuff.