Frugal/budget "dabbler"- Budget101 Discussion List

I must admit..I only "dabble" in being frugal or budgeting. I set up great goals I would like to reach and start really gung ho then slowly fizzle out. I grew up poor and now have a hard time not buying stuff for my daughter since I can afford them. I am not teaching her anything as she has no

budget, budgeting, check, daughter, frugal, great, hard, kinda, mind, money, place, set, source, spend, star, stay, stuff, teaching, time, world, admit, medium, dabbler, happy, find, message, http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=eml_wlh_talkathon_betterplace, talkathon, making, motivated, tressa, fizzle, slowly, grew, poor, goals, reach, gung, start, dabble, frugal/budget, afford, buying, concept

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Tressa Watts

Default Frugal/budget "dabbler"

I must admit..I only "dabble" in being frugal or budgeting. I set up great goals I would like to reach and start really gung ho then slowly fizzle out. I grew up poor and now have a hard time not buying stuff for my daughter since I can afford them. I am not teaching her anything as she has no concept of money. I also admit I am a all or nothing kinda gal. I cannot seem to find a happy medium. I want to do it all the way or not at all.

How do I get in the right mind set...and stay motivated to spend less??

Thanx Tressa

<hr>Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i'm Talkathon.

Joi Sinclair

<div style="font-family:tahoma, new york, times, serif;font-size:14pt;">I have to admit that I only dabble myself, I am much like you, but I have a hard time denying myself as well as my family. One way I have found to help is to do my cooking from scratch. It sounds like it takes too much time but once I got into the habit I am able to save by not buying "convenience" foods. You can save anywhere for $.15 to $2.00 by just making from scratch. I also have the ability to control some of the chemicals that my family ingests by using whole, fresh ingredients. We aren't short money yet, but the company my husband works for isstruggling for jobs and hisincomemaybe cut but we are unsure of how much and how often. So I am trying to get used to a smaller budget now and if/when his checks start fluctuating we will be prepared. Hope this helps.

<DIV id="RTEContent">

<FONT face="comic sans ms" color="#9d7292" size="5">Joi
    <FONT face="verdana" color="#6000bf" size="3"><FONT face="tahoma, new york, times, serif" color="#54466f" size="4">'The will of God will never take you
    where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, new york, times, serif;">

----- Original Message ----
    To: budgetgroup <budget101_@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 3:35:29 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Frugal/budget "dabbler"

I must admit..I only "dabble" in being frugal or budgeting. I set up great goals I would like to reach and start really gung ho then slowly fizzle out. I grew up poor and now have a hard time not buying stuff for my daughter since I can afford them. I am not teaching her anything as she has no concept of money. I also admit I am a all or nothing kinda gal. I cannot seem to find a happy medium. I want to do it all the way or not at all.
    Thanx Tressa

Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i'm Talkathon.

J Diane Northcutt

Read all three Tightwad Gazette books or read the combined version The Complete Tightwad. These are available at most libraries although I highly recommend having your own copy.
    These books will get youinto a frugal mindset. They taught me to look at each purchase in whole new way.

Diane

[quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: budgetgroup
    Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:35 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Frugal/budget "dabbler"

Thanx Tressa

Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i'm Talkathon.

Ita Abrahamson

What do you make from scratch? how long does it take?

On 7/15/08, Joi Sinclair <joi_sinclair@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>

> You can save anywhere for $.15 to $2.00 by just making

> from scratch.

Liss

<SPAN class="890274114-16072008"><SPAN class="796544714-16072008">>>What do you make from scratch? how long does it take?<<
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008"><SPAN class="796544714-16072008">
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008"><SPAN class="796544714-16072008">To answer your questions, EVERYTHING. I make muffin mixes, soup mixes, cake mixes, brownie mixes, cookie mixes, gourmet popcorn blends (because lets face it, regular popcorn is boring & you can feed a pack of hungry kids a huge bowl of popcorn for less than than 1/2 the cost of a bag of chips.) Seasoning mixes, side dishes, mug mixes, pudding mixes, even basic groceries like baking powser, tortillas, syrup, etc.
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">Basically, if you can buy it in the store, you can make it at home. The key is (unless your a nut like me) not to try to do it ALL. Find a few things that you can change/alter from your grocery list and you are more likely to stick with it in the long haul.
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">For example, if you buy Cake mixes, mix up a few cake mixes and keep them in your pantry/cupboard to have on hand.
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">Here are a messload of mix recipes (about 1,500 or so)in various categories:
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">http://www.budget101.com/convenience_mixes.htm
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">& More MYO recipes:
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008">http://www.budget101.com/myo02.htm<SPAN class="796544714-16072008">
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008"><SPAN class="796544714-16072008">As for how long it takes, depends on how many you make, but I usually spend about an hour a week whipping up a messloadof mixes, truth be told, it's not because I need more mixes in the pantry, it's because my mom calls and I can't answer emails while I'm on the phone, but making mixes is so mindless that I can do that. lol

~Enjoy !~
    Liss
    Creator/Designer
    of www.Budget101.com

Joi Sinclair

<div style="font-family:tahoma, new york, times, serif;font-size:14pt;">
    Just yesterday I madesaltine crackers and graham crackersusing budget 101 recipe, it took me no more than 10 minutes to mix androll out. It took 40 minutes to cook it all. They both turned out great. I also mix up the cream of "anything" soups which only take about 10 minutes, I also make a white sauce for my recipes calling forcream soup. It doesn't really take much time at all. I also like www.kraftfoods.com they have a lot of simple recipes that take only minutes. I combine what I have learned from budget 101 with these simple recipes. Their is also several cheap cooking websites with easy budget friendly recipes. Hope this helps.

<DIV id="RTEContent">

<FONT face="comic sans ms" color="#9d7292" size="5">Joi
    <FONT face="verdana" color="#6000bf" size="3"><FONT face="tahoma, new york, times, serif" color="#54466f" size="4">'The will of God will never take you
    where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: tahoma, new york, times, serif;">

----- Original Message ----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 8:36:15 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Frugal/budget "dabbler"

What do you make from scratch? how long does it take?

On 7/15/08, Joi Sinclair <joi_sinclair@ sbcglobal. net> wrote:
    >
    > You can save anywhere for $.15 to $2.00 by just making
    > from scratch.

Ita Abrahamson

do all of you who do this work full time?

On 7/16/08, Joi Sinclair <joi_sinclair@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>

> Just yesterday I made saltine crackers and graham crackers using

> budget 101 recipe, it took me no more than 10 minutes to mix and roll out.

Fairlee Corkran

Can you send the reciepe for homemade gatorade please? Thanks have a great day

and God bless-Fairlee

--- On Wed, 7/16/08, mem68 <mildreda@lcs.net> wrote:

thanks, Liss. I learned to mk gatorade for my 10 yo and he loves it.

mem68

thanks, Liss. I learned to mk gatorade for my 10 yo and he loves it.
    I am doing cake mixes w/ things that I have on hand to get rid of-coconut flakes, rasins,prunes,nuts (that I cracked out a yr ago and had frozen)dehydrated fruit from Wallgreens for $1 that I did not know what to do w/.More like a fruit cake but delicious!!
    Trying to use from the pantry,buyon sale,loss leaders,coupons,rebates,items for my son's lunches when school starts (found large bottles of flavored water for $.50 ea-then I will put home made gatorade in them freeze 1/2 of the liquid-then the morning of I add the rest of the liquid.
    Found lunch boxes ,plastic w/ drinking bottle that fits in the box and another insulated lunch carrier at Goodwill.I am using a disposable ice bag from the hospital for his lunch boxes.
    [quote]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 7:50 AM
    Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Frugal/budget "dabbler"

<SPAN class="890274114-16072008"><SPAN class="796544714-16072008">>>What do you make from scratch? how long does it take?<<
    <SPAN class="890274114-16072008"><SPAN class="796544714-16072008">To answer your questions, EVERYTHING. I make muffin mixes, soup mixes, cake mixes, brownie

Jessica

<DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri;">I am a single mom of 2 teenagers and work outside the home full time.
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri;">We are on the go all the time (as neither one drives yet-so I still play mom taxi) and I still manage to find time to do a lot of these things.
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Calibri;">The one thing I am finding a bit challenging is I now have a clothesline and still trying to figure out a system.

-------Original Message-------

Date: 7/16/2008 1:17:18 PM

>

Liss

<SPAN class="749153718-16072008">>>do all of you who do this work full time?<<
    <SPAN class="749153718-16072008">
    <SPAN class="749153718-16072008">I cant speak for anyone else, but I work an average of 60+ hours a week.
    <SPAN class="749153718-16072008">
    <SPAN class="749153718-16072008">~Liss

Nikki

my saltine crackers NEVER turn out
    how do you guys make them turn out right
    nikki
    [quote]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:26 PM

>

J Diane Northcutt

No , I don't work outside the home. I homeschool my children.

Diane
    [quote]
    Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 12:26 PM

>

Jennifer

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

<!doctype HTML>
    10.0pt;font-family:
    Arial;color:navy;">Hi:

I thought I’d jump in here and add
    my “method”. I have found that I am slowly adding more and
    more to my list of things that I make. To your specific question as to
    employment; I am off for the summer since I work at an elementary school but
    otherwise I am paid for 30 hours but by the time I “wrap things up”
    and collect my children from middle and high school I get home around 4:00 (so
    a shorter day than many but still out of the house more than not).

My initial motivation in making my own of
    things was based on my trying to not go to the store. I try to do a big
    shopping about every 6 weeks and then just run in to get fresh foods as needed
    (dairy, produce). So I started by making sloppy jo sauce since I wanted
    some and didn’t have any. It was a hit and so easy and I don’t
    think I’ve bought any in the last few years. Then I found a recipe
    in a magazine for Creamy Garlic Salad Dressing. It sounded good so I
    tried it and we really liked it. I was just making that as something
    different to go with other dressing I bought but then I started making the
    copycat version of Kraft Catalina Dressing and recently started making a ranch
    dip/dressing recipe. I VERY recently made the MYO Cream Of Soup recipe to
    use in a recipe and it was so easy so I think I’ll probably continue
    that. I’ve also just discovered MYO rubs for meat.

I also make focaccia bread which is well
    seasoned with several herbs. My trick for this to make it an even easier
    and quicker dinner addition (one of the advantages to focaccia is that it has
    one short rise time and then you bake) is to measure out into a small container
    the seasoning for a second batch as I make one. So the seasoning for the
    loaf I am making goes into my mixer with the other ingredients such as flour
    and yeast and then I just put another batches worth in a little container and
    label it so I can just add the few other things. This is just quicker due
    to the number of herbs involved and getting those all out. I also do this
    with my Ranch Dressing mix of herbs, make a batch and measure out another batch
    for next time. I really need to find more little containers so I can
    expand on it a little but even this little step can really be that little bit
    that makes it so much easier.

When I made the Cream of Chicken soup the
    recipe called for Poultry Seasoning of which I had none so I made some of that
    to put in. I guess I just don’t find it is really that big a deal
    and it makes it possible to have “basics” and make many kinds of
    mixtures. I buy the big bottles of spices from Gordon Foods and Sam’s
    Club. I also buy big containers of mayonnaise and ketchup.

I’ve come to really like the idea of
    having fewer “unknowns” in my food and really my family likes my
    versions better now than the pre-made of like the dressing and such.

Today I made dog biscuits for the first
    time and they passed the test with my dog Lizzie.

So I guess it does take a bit more time
    and thought to put some of the things together but it isn’t as
    overwhelming as it may initially seem. Start with a couple things here
    and there and it will seem less so. There are also ways to make it easier
    and more practical, as has been mentioned by measuring out for more than one
    mixture at a time if you have the space and storage containers for doing
    so.

Hope that gave you some ideas.

Jennifer

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
    Of
    Liss

Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008
    2:38 PM

Subject: RE: Budget101.com :
    Frugal/budget "dabbler"

<font size="3" face="Trebuchet MS">12.0pt;font-family:"Trebuchet MS";">>>do
    all of you who do this work full time?<<

<div id="ygrp-mkp">
    <div id="ads">

<font size="1" color="white" face="Times New Roman">1.0pt;color:.

12.0pt;color:

<FONT SIZE="2" FACE="Arial">No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

Version: 8.0.138 / Virus Database: 270.5.0/1555 - Release Date: 7/16/2008 6:43 AM

Nikki

lol --that reminds me I had friends staying with me for a while and between them and me we had MANY children -- their's mine' and cousins and friends No one wanted to help with chores and they kept using the clothesline (full of clothes) to "drive" their bikes under -- tired of being ignored and rewashing clean clothes my friend came up with a fantastic idea we wrote down the daily chores and the person assigned to a particular chore/chores (chores rotated daily)-- if by lunchtime the job was not done the offender was assigned one or more clothespins -- already prelabled with their name on it -- the #number depended on the job importance and number of assigned duties
    the next day that child had to hang up that many pieces of clothing using their clothes pin (remember their name is on those pins--for all to see)(in addition to how many else they needed) soon chores got done without being told more than once and clothes stop being bridges
    nikki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast