making jelly- General Recipes

I have been given some Original Pectin from Ball. the suggested use on the back says to use a cup and a third of crushed fruit to make something similar to a jam. I was wondering, can I use fruit juice to make a jelly? will I follow the same recipe? I am amazed, this little packet says it makes

Fruits, fruit, jars, pint, make, jelly, dishes, butter, plan, dozen, work, freeze, storing, shelf, makes, pectin, similar, crushed, suggested, ball, wondering, amazed, packet, recipe, original, juice, making, follow, back

Thread: making jelly

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default making jelly

I have been given some Original Pectin from Ball. the suggested use on the back says to use a cup and a third of crushed fruit to make something similar to a jam. I was wondering, can I use fruit juice to make a jelly? will I follow the same recipe? I am amazed, this little packet says it makes like a dozen pint jars. I have no pint jars, so can I use old butter dishes? I plan on using this right away and not storing on the shelf. I may try to freeze it but not sure how that will work.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: making jelly

Quote Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
    I have been given some Original Pectin from Ball. the suggested use on the back says to use a cup and a third of crushed fruit to make something similar to a jam. I was wondering, can I use fruit juice to make a jelly? will I follow the same recipe? I am amazed, this little packet says it makes like a dozen pint jars. I have no pint jars, so can I use old butter dishes? I plan on using this right away and not storing on the shelf. I may try to freeze it but not sure how that will work.
    Liquid Pectin or Dry Pectin?
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

it is dry. on the front of the label it says classic pectin. the other stuff I have is instant fruit pectin. the recipe on the back is for jam also and it calls for 4 cups of crushed fruit.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
    it is dry. on the front of the label it says classic pectin. the other stuff I have is instant fruit pectin. the recipe on the back is for jam also and it calls for 4 cups of crushed fruit.
    a little less than 1/2 cup of dry pectin equals 1 pouch of liquid pectin. Dry pecton makes great jam & jellies- here's the website for surejell brand, most of their recipes are pretty good:

http://www.kraftbrands.com/surejell/products.aspx
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm learning a lot from this thread.. Great tips!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I LOVE making jams, preserves, marmalades, and jellies! I usually make either low or no sugar varieties so I have to use the low sugar pectin packets.
    I've even made no sugar added apple jelly, using 100% apple juice, (no added sugar), and low sugar sure jell....It's good stuff.
    Thinking about making grape jelly the same way.
    The possibilities are endless...