Thread: pet vitamins??

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default pet vitamins??

Does anyone know of a good brand to get or even to make for my kitty? She is eating without a problem...her food changes as the sales pop up...but she has been losing weight. Aria is only 4 years old...I think...but she looks more like an older cat with how skinny she is. She is playful and loving. She has been bathed for fleas but is pulling out her fur around her tummy and her tail is looking scraggly. I am probably going to see about bringing her in to a vet but want to know if I should truly be worried about it. Except for her skinniness and thinning fur she seems fine.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: pet vitamins??

Quote Originally Posted by lmitchell View Post
    Does anyone know of a good brand to get or even to make for my kitty? She is eating without a problem...her food changes as the sales pop up...but she has been losing weight. Aria is only 4 years old...I think...but she looks more like an older cat with how skinny she is. She is playful and loving. She has been bathed for fleas but is pulling out her fur around her tummy and her tail is looking scraggly. I am probably going to see about bringing her in to a vet but want to know if I should truly be worried about it. Except for her skinniness and thinning fur she seems fine.
    it actually sounds as though she may have an allergy to whatever it is she is eating. Cats pull hair for lots of reasons, fleas, allergies, bacterial or skin infections, immune disorders, shedding/natural grooming, and psychological/stress issues. I would add the contents of half a vitamin E capsule to her food daily to see if that helps. Does she have any other signs of allergies? Runny eyes, sneezing?

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

No. And now she is enjoying some quiet time sleeping in her litter box. She does that every once in a while. Never figured out what was up with that. I guess I will just have to start going back to the Purina Naturals she was eating before. She never had a problem with them before. We started putting her on a leash back in February and letting her explore outside (with supervision and a bowl of water). We gave a flea dip since it seemed that she had fleas. That didn't seem to work too well. Am probably going to get some food grade diatomatious (i know that is spelled wrong) earth to rub on her. its said to kill fleas.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had cats all my life, 65 plus years. It sounds like this is really a time for a vet visit. I try to do home remedies when possible, but weight loss can be a sign of some serious problems. Hope she is okay.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Paw Re: pet vitamins??

Quote Originally Posted by Poki48 View Post
    I have had cats all my life, 65 plus years. It sounds like this is really a time for a vet visit. I try to do home remedies when possible, but weight loss can be a sign of some serious problems. Hope she is okay.
    I'm thinking the same thing. Sounds like allergies (the fur pulling) and if you have an animal with food allergy issues usually anything you can find in a grocery store is going to exacerbate them. The weight loss is troubling, also. Google top 10 worst pet foods and you'll find at least 7 are made by Purina. I hope the kitty is okay!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Aria seems to be getting better. She has stopped pulling her fur and her appetite is better. I am still waiting for her to become a normal cat and start going after our food, but she might be weird like her cousin, Tipper.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Google top 10 worst pet foods and you'll find at least 7 are made by Purina.
    Really?! Thats the brand she usually prefers. I am looking into the more organic pet foods, but the sample I had, she wouldn't touch. What brands would you recommend, if you have a cat.