Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Stephanie Dark

Default dry milk vs liquid again

I just bought both at the stores I shop at and looked at my bills for

these. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, FYI.

A container of dry milk that makes 8 quarts (or 2 gallons) is $8.28

(grocery store brand). That's a cost of $4.14/gallon using dry milk.

A half-gallon of liquid milk is $2.49 or a cost of $4.98/gallon for

liquid milk (we use the paper containers from Trader Joe's; if gallon

containers came in anything besides plastic we'd get those to save on

the price of milk).

So, I would save 84-cents per gallon by using exclusively dried

instead of liquid milk. Since my kids know the difference in taste

when I give them the powdered vs. liquid (and they don't like the

taste), what I am doing is using the dry when cooking and the liquid

for drinking; I hope we can save some pennies this way.

Just another milk comparison for everyone to see.

Stephanie

J Diane Northcutt

In this part of the country the 20 quart ( 5 gallon) box of powdered milk is a much better buy than the 8 quartbox. You get a much cheaper price per gallon that way.
    Diane
    [quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 7:09 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : dry milk vs liquid again

I just bought both at the stores I shop at and looked at my bills for
    these. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, FYI.

A container of dry milk that makes 8 quarts (or 2 gallons) is $8.28
    (grocery store brand). That's a cost of $4.14/gallon using dry milk.
    A half-gallon of liquid milk is $2.49 or a cost of $4.98/gallon for
    liquid milk (we use the paper containers from Trader Joe's; if gallon
    containers came in anything besides plastic we'd get those to save on
    the price of milk).

So, I would save 84-cents per gallon by using exclusively dried
    instead of liquid milk. Since my kids know the difference in taste
    when I give them the powdered vs. liquid (and they don't like the
    taste), what I am doing is using the dry when cooking and the liquid
    for drinking; I hope we can save some pennies this way.

Just another milk comparison for everyone to see.
    Stephanie

J Diane Northcutt

Am I the only person that is finding it more expensive to make my own laundry detergent. There are a couple of brands of laundry detergent at Walmart that only end up costing only 4 cent per ounce. The cheapest Washing Soda I can find is9 cent per ounce and Borax is 3 cent per ounce which makes a final product of 6 cent per ounce ,but wait, we have not added the bar soap yet.That will increase the cost srtill more.
    When you guys say thathomemade is cheaper, do you mean cheaper than name brand?

Diane
    [quote]

<DIV id="ygrp-msg">

Pj

I don't think you're including the ounces of your water.
    I just made a batch this morning and this is my cost breakdown (I live in the SW)
    Borax - 42 cents per half cup
    Washing Soda - 25 cents per half cup
    1/2 c. grated soap (I make my own soap, so I just use my leftover ends)
    1/2 c. Purex color bleach (this is an extra, approx 30 cents)
    I end up with about 4 gallons of soap.
    My cost for 4 gallons of soap is LESS than $1 !!

<font color="#347d7e" face="Comic Sans MS" size="3">Insane Mom to J, J, N, L, B, H, N, N, N, B, B, K, K, T, S, R <font color="#347d7e" face="Comic Sans MS" size="3">ages 29y - 14mo <font color="#347d7e" face="Comic Sans MS" size="3">(but only 10+ kids at home now)

--- On Mon, 7/7/08, J
    Diane Northcutt <jdnorthcutt@ftc-i.net>
    wrote:
    <blockquote style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(16, 16, 255);">From: J Diane Northcutt <jdnorthcutt@ftc-i.net>
    Subject: Budget101.com : the cost of homemade laundry detergent
    Date: Monday, July 7, 2008, 4:27 AM

<div id="yiv1563074779">

<font face="Arial" size="2">Am I the only person that is finding it more expensive to make my own laundry detergent. There are a couple of brands of laundry detergent at Walmart that only end up costing only 4 cent per ounce. The cheapest Washing Soda I can find is9 cent per ounce and Borax is 3 cent per ounce which makes a final product of 6 cent per ounce ,but wait, we have not added the bar soap yet.That will increase the cost srtill more.
    <font face="Arial" size="2">When you guys say thathomemade is cheaper, do you mean cheaper than name brand?
    <font face="Arial" size="2">
    <font face="Arial" size="2">Diane
    <blockquote style="border-left: 2px solid rgb(0, 0, 0);">
    <div style="font-family: arial;font-style: normal;font-variant: normal;font-weight: normal;font-size: 10pt;font-size-adjust: none;font-stretch: normal;">

<font face="Arial">

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Laura Sharp

I worked up the figures for homemade laundry soap a few years back, just to check, here&#39;s what I came up with...
    Borax, 76oz box... 1/2 cup=3oz... 25.3 1/2 cups per box (rounded to 25) pd 2.29 for the box equals .0916 cents per 1/2 cup.
    Washing soda 55oz box... 1/2 cup=4oz... 13.75 1/2 cups per box (rounded to 14) pd 1.99 for box equals .142 cents per 1/2 cup.
    Fels Napths soap, use 1/3 bar, paid 1.09 for bar comes to .36... added together...
    36+ 9&#43;14= 59 cents per batch... I get 60 uses per batch... I use the liquid or gel homemade recipe...

I don&#39;t pay for water, and as for the energy to use the stove, I usually am cooking something else when doing the soap anyway, so don&#39;t bother to add it in... wouldn&#39;t know how to to deduce all that energy stuff anyway...lol.

Now, with a front loader, I use even less per load, so I&#39;m paying less than a penny per load.

Laura
    swOhio
    zone 5-6

On 7/7/08, J Diane Northcutt[/b] <jdnorthcutt@ftc-i.net> wrote:

<div style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff;" bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <font face="Arial" size="2">Am I the only person that is finding it more expensive to make my own laundry detergent. There are a couple of brands of laundry detergent at Walmart that only end up costing only 4 cent per ounce. The cheapest Washing Soda I can find is9 cent per ounce and Borax is 3 cent per ounce which makes a final product of 6 cent per ounce ,but wait, we have not added the bar soap yet.That will increase the cost srtill more. <font face="Arial" size="2">When you guys say thathomemade is cheaper, do you mean cheaper than name brand?
    <font face="Arial" size="2">
    <blockquote style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid;">
    <div style="FONT: 10pt arial;">

<font face="Arial">

[/quote]

--
    Laura
    sw Ohio
    Zone 5-6

Michelle Belt

I just made anither batch teh last batch I made was about 6 months ago. So I do not hvae to buy laundry soap every month like I used to do. So this is where i save money

My recipe is : I box Borax 1 Box Washing Soda 2 bars of Ivory Soap : So for 2.99 + 2.79 + 1.00 = $6.78 for about 6 to 8 months of Laundry Soap

OLD way of doing wash : Approx : 4.00 for 20 loads So say I do 100 per month ( which used to happen...lol ) that is $ 20.00 per month for Laundry Soap So take 20.00 x 6 = $ 120.00 per 6 months for laundry soap. This is where i see the savings.

ALso I have emailed all websites and got mnf cpns which also help.

HTH

Michelle
    On 7/7/08, J Diane Northcutt[/b] <jdnorthcutt@ftc-i.net> wrote:

<font face="Arial" size="2">Am I the only person that is finding it more expensive to make my own laundry detergent. There are a couple of brands of laundry detergent at Walmart that only end up costing only 4 cent per ounce. The cheapest Washing Soda I can find is9 cent per ounce and Borax is 3 cent per ounce which makes a final product of 6 cent per ounce ,but wait, we have not added the bar soap yet.That will increase the cost srtill more.
    <font face="Arial" size="2">When you guys say thathomemade is cheaper, do you mean cheaper than name brand?

<blockquote style="border-left:#000000 2px solid;">
    <div style="font:10pt arial;">

[/quote]

[/quote]

--
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don&#39;t matter and those who matter don&#39;t mind !
    Michelle and Stephen in PA

katrina schumann

you use 1/2 c of borax; & 1/2 c of washing soda; 1 grated bar of fels naptha equals 2 1/2 cups; you use 1 cup for the powdered recipe that I make; you use 1 T for reqular loads, & 2 T for heavily soiled; doesn't suds much nor will any homemade laundry detergent cuz it is chemicals which are harmful which make store bought suds; & they are full of fillers usually ground up dried corn cobs & other things to make it APPEAR that you get far more than you do & that is the reason you use so much more when using bought laundry soap; so 1 bar of Fels naptha made using my recipe will last me 6 months; & I still have lots of washing soda & borax to use in cleaning supplies.

--- On Mon, 7/7/08, J Diane Northcutt <jdnorthcutt@ftc-i.net> wrote:

Subject: Budget101.com : the cost of homemade laundry detergent
    Date: Monday, July 7, 2008, 5:27 AM

<DIV id="yiv1256401110">

Am I the only person that is finding it more expensive to make my own laundry detergent. There are a couple of brands of laundry detergent at Walmart that only end up costing only 4 cent per ounce. The cheapest Washing Soda I can find is9 cent per ounce and Borax is 3 cent per ounce which makes a final product of 6 cent per ounce ,but wait, we have not added the bar soap yet.That will increase the cost srtill more. When you guys say thathomemade is cheaper, do you mean cheaper than name brand?

Diane
    [quote]

<DIV id="ygrp-msg">

Sally Vanwinkle

O.K. I just read your post,if you have that many kids then you must be a serious

saver or your just crazy rich lol. How do you do it? Can you give me some

pointers on what you do?

Thanks,

Sally

----- Original Message ----

Insane Mom to J, J, N, L, B, H, N, N, N, B, B, K, K, T, S, R

ages 29y - 14mo (but only 10+ kids at home now)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast