Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    nauticalnana

Default allowance question

<FONT face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">
    times are really hard here and i can no longer afford to give my children their small allowance. we have been giving them each .71 per day, if chores were not done they lost that days allowance. i need some ideas on how to reward them for their jobs well done. btw, they dont get paid for everything they do, they know that most jobs are to help the family live comfortably. they get allowance for their personal chores like keeping their room clean, putting their laundry away, etc. they are boys ages 13 and 10. video games, tv, and computer time wont really work i think, because they are limited on time to do these things.
    <FONT face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">Sher
    "Faith is not developed by miracles. Miracles are a result of great faith!"

Christine Bergeron

I know what you mean about money being tight I have 5 kids 5, 6, 8, 10 & 11 we can't give them any money so no allowance what so ever and we had to tell them this year no summer vacations or Christmas So how do you explain Santa can't afford to give them gifts but their friends and cousins will be getting gifts......

--- On Thu, 7/3/08, nauticalnana <nauticalnana@comcast.net> wrote:

Subject: Budget101.com : allowance question
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 4:19 PM

<DIV id="yiv2026730717">

<FONT face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">times are really hard here and i can no longer afford to give my children their small allowance. we have been giving them each .71 per day, if chores were not done they lost that days allowance. i need some ideas on how to reward them for their jobs well done. btw, they dont get paid for everything they do, they know that most jobs are to help the family live comfortably. they get allowance for their personal chores like keeping their room clean, putting their laundry away, etc. they are boys ages 13 and 10. video games, tv, and computer time wont really work i think, because they are limited on time to do these things.

Sally Vanwinkle

Hi,if you have a local community park you can take them swimming it's free here in Tulsa,OK..We also have a free skate park where you can inline,skateboard or ride bikes.Play tennis, basketball or any sports that they might be interested in,spending quality time with your son's. They can also rent movies at the library,check for for free coupons,google free things to do in your howntown.They can visit a special friend they haven't seen in a while.Be a freecycle member and post a wanted message for recreational items for free.I hope this helps or give you some ideas at least.

SallyVW

----- Original Message ----
    Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:19:55 PM

<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">times are really hard here and i can no longer afford to give my children their small allowance. we have been giving them each .71 per day, if chores were not done they lost that days allowance. i need some ideas on how to reward them for their jobs well done. btw, they dont get paid for everything they do, they know that most jobs are to help the family live comfortably. they get allowance for their personal chores like keeping their room clean, putting their laundry away, etc. they are boys ages 13 and 10. video games, tv, and computer time wont really work i think, because they are limited on time to do these things.<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">Sher
    "Faith is not developed by miracles. Miracles are a result of great faith!"<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">

Lucy Anderson

I can&#39;t afford allowances either... but here was something I heard that looked kinda neat.

Take the household&#39;s profit (amount from your paychecks after you have paid the necessaries) and give them each 1%. This way, it is like running a business. Your job is to bring home the check - their job is to do well in school and help the household economize by doing their jobs (clean rooms and well done laundry saves money). What they do directly affects what they get. If my kids leave the lights on downstairs all night I say "hey - there is less money because I had to pay the electricity bill." If they tear their clothes, "Hey - I had to replace your jeans again, so less money."

I have 5 kids at home, so 5% was a bit daunting, but I might be able to do it now.... hmmm......

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 1:19 PM, nauticalnana <nauticalnana@comcast.net> wrote:

<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">times are really hard here and i can no longer afford to give my children their small allowance. we have been giving them each .71 per day, if chores were not done they lost that days allowance. i need some ideas on how to reward them for their jobs well done. btw, they dont get paid for everything they do, they know that most jobs are to help the family live comfortably. they get allowance for their personal chores like keeping their room clean, putting their laundry away, etc. they are boys ages 13 and 10. video games, tv, and computer time wont really work i think, because they are limited on time to do these things.
    <font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">Sher

<font color="#000000" face="Arial" size="2">

[/quote]

--
    http://www..com

Matthew 22:37 - Love the Lord your God with all
    John 13:34 - Love one another

Matthew 28:19 - Go and make disciples

Char

<FONT color="#008080">For later....
    <FONT color="#008080">When school starts again, I give my son an allowance equal to what it costs him to buy his lunches at school. Then he can either choose to buy his lunch or make it and save his $$$(and I have sandwich fixings at home). He generally chooses to buy lunches, and doesn't always spen his $$$. And in the past he has given his friends some $$$, and learned the hard way, it won't get replaced when he does that <grin>.
    <FONT color="#008080">
    <FONT color="#008080">As far as now is concerned, can you post amounts per job on a whiteboard on your fridge and whichever kid does the job, gets 'paid'. They get paid less for a job not well done.
    <FONT color="#008080">
    ----- Original Message ----- <DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4;">From: nauticalnana
    Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 3:19 PM

times are really hard here and i can no longer afford to give my children their small allowance.

Donna Cosey

<FONT face="comic sans ms" color="#a040ff">Donna Cosey
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#a040ff">NICE~n~COSEY Candles
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#a040ff">Hand poured 100%SOY Candles
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#a040ff">
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#a040ff">

--- On Thu, 7/3/08, Sally Vanwinkle <jaggpegg@yahoo.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: Budget101.com : allowance question
    Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 2:51 PM

<DIV id="yiv1688303717">

<DIV id="ygrp-msg">

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;">
    <DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;">My kids there are 4 of them including my niecewho isn't a child but acts like one most of the time and myself who do the household chores. I have a white board calendar up with five chores and they rotate each day, we have told them that we would give them allowance if they did the rooms (right the first time) and their daily chores if we didn't have to remind them. I also put up a chart in all areas of how I expected things to be done. So they have a choice they can do it without being told (and they have no excuses to say they didn't know) or they can wait to be told. I think the most in a year that we have given in allowances is $20.00, because the choose to be lazy and play the games and stuff before they do their chores. So until they get wise and do stuff on their own, they have to go find spending money somewhere else, cause I
    don't get spending money for me and I do my chores everyday.

<DIV style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;BORDER-LEFT: rgb(16,16,255) 2px solid;FONT-FAMILY: times new roman, new york, times, serif;">----- Original Message ----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogro ups.com
    Sent: Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:19:55 PM

<FONT face="Arial" color="#000000" size="2">times are really hard here and i can no longer afford to give my children their small allowance. we have been giving them each .71 per day, if chores were not done they lost that days allowance. i need some ideas on how to reward them for their jobs well done. btw, they dont get paid for everything they do, they know that most jobs are to help the family live comfortably. they get allowance for their personal chores like keeping their room clean, putting their laundry away, etc. they are boys ages 13 and 10. video games, tv, and computer time wont really work i think, because they are limited on time to do these things.

copacobana5424

We sometimes give our children coupons as rewards when we can't afford

money. There is even a free website where you can print them ( I

think it was DLTK or something like that) We have come up with

many "different" ideas such as "Day off from chores (they love that

one), Extra hours up at night, Picking a special treat when we do

grocery shopping, 5 min. Back rub, making favorite meal (they pick as

long as it isn't Lobster, LOL!, spending time playing a board game with

Mom & Dad, Extra hour of video games, bike rides with Mom & Dad, wild

coupon is they get to pick which coupon they want, etc." It's funny

because I often see that what they pick is time with Mom or Dad (even

sometimes now that they are older they still like it, just not in front

of the "friends" LoL!) It is harder when they get older because a lot

of their friends will have cash on them and when they see that it will

be hard. I would just explain it as best as you can to them and tell

them it is temporary.

mem68

Christine, your children are so young. Couldn't you do Christmas w/ a meal that everyone had helped to make, let each one tell what Christmas means to me, maybe eat by candles that you already have, let each do a craft w/ paper,crayons,etc for each other. Christmas should not be about money for all of us. Use your imagination and this will be the best Christmas you have ever had.
    Use praise for the chores instead of an allowance. Prayers coming your way.
    [quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 2:39 PM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : allowance question

<TABLE cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="0" border="0">

<TD vAlign="top">I know what you mean about money being tight I have 5 kids 5, 6, 8, 10 & 11 we can't give them any money so no allowance what so ever and we had to tell them this year no summer vacations or Christmas So how do you explain Santa can't afford to give them gifts but their friends and cousins will be getting gifts......

--- On Thu, 7/3/08, nauticalnana <nauticalnana@comcast.net> wrote:

Date: Thursday, July 3, 2008, 4:19 PM

<DIV id="yiv2026730717">

<FONT color="#ffffff">

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast