Big Decision/bankruptcy

I did 'it' over 10 years ago and my attorneys first bit of advice was take the credit cards and finishing maxing them out with groceries, lots of dry goods, paper products, can goods ect.....then toiletries, and finally clothes. We did and some items lasted a year.

advice, bankruptcy, big, bit, cards, clothes, decision, dry, ect, finally, finishing, goods, groceries, items, las, lots, produc, products, teresa, years, paper, lasted, year, toiletries, maxing, attorneys, decision/bankruptcy, credit

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    purplebunnyfoofoo

Default Big Decision/bankruptcy

I did 'it' over 10 years ago and my attorneys first bit of advice was take the

credit cards and finishing maxing them out with groceries, lots of dry goods,

paper products, can goods ect.....then toiletries, and finally clothes. We did

and some items lasted a year.

*~*Teresa Lavey*~*

angies_groups

Teresa,

I doubt your lawyer would want you to tell
    people about that because he has counseled you to commit credit card fraud. I
    don’t recommend that anyone do anything like that just prior to filing. I’m
    not sure why you think that ripping off the credit card companies (buying
    things you know you are never going to pay for) is okay. This is part of the
    reason that fees are so high. And is that really the lessons we want our
    children to learn?

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of purplebunnyfoofoo

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:20
    PM

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : Re:Big
    Decision/bankruptcy

I did 'it' over 10 years ago and my attorneys first
    bit of advice was take the credit cards and finishing maxing them out with
    groceries, lots of dry goods, paper products, can goods ect.....then
    toiletries, and finally clothes. We did and some items lasted a year.

*~*Teresa Lavey*~*

J Diane Northcutt

We just filed bankruptcy this past February. I can assure you that the bankruptcy laws have changed in the last 10 years. You cannot go out and run the cards up just before filing. Our lawyer told us that the courts do not want to see any new credit charges in the four months prior to your filing. If you do fraudulently run them up knowing that you are about to file, the creditors have a right to challenge your discharge.

Diane
    [quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 8:20 AM
    Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Re:Big Decision/bankruptcy

<DIV class="Section1">
    Teresa,

I doubt your lawyer would want you to tell people about that because he has counseled you to commit credit card fraud. I dont recommend that anyone do anything like that just prior to filing. Im not sure why you think that ripping off the credit card companies (buying things you know you are never going to pay for) is okay. This is part of the reason that fees are so high. And is that really the lessons we want our children to learn?

From: <ST1>Budget101_@yahoogroups.com</ST1> [mailto:<ST1>Budget101_@yahoogroups.com</ST1>] On Behalf Of purplebunnyfoofoo
    Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:20 PM
    To: <ST1>Budget101_@yahoogroups.com</ST1>
    Subject: Budget101.com : Re:Big Decision/bankruptcy

<DIV id="ygrp-msg">

I did 'it' over 10 years ago and my attorneys first bit of advice was take the credit cards and finishing maxing them out with groceries, lots of dry goods, paper products, can goods ect.....then toiletries, and finally clothes. We did and some items lasted a year.

*~*Teresa Lavey*~*

Liss

>>I did 'it' over 10 years ago and my attorneys first bit of advice was take the credit cards and finishing maxing them out with groceries,<<

WHOA, Back the Train Up... DO NOT DO THIS. While this may have been the norm 10 years ago, Bush changed all of that when he approved a major overhaul on how bankruptcies are handled. Bankruptcy code section Section 523(a)(2) makes this Illegal and Fraudulent.

A few things, if you owe Sears any money,realize that no matter what youWILL have to Pay them. They WILL send someone to court to collect& fight no matter how meager the amount.I know of someone whose Eyeglasses were repossessed in Bankruptcy court (as that was the item charged on the sears Card).

Here are 7 Bankruptcy tips:

<H3 class="post-title">Seven Mistakes To Avoid Prior to Filing Bankruptcy </H3>
    <DIV class="post-body">

The actions an individual takes leading up to filing bankruptcy can drastically affect his ability to get a "fresh start." By avoiding these seven mistakes, one can travel successfully through the bankruptcy process without losing a pound of flesh.

1. THE CREDIT CARD RUN-UP MISTAKE: Don't use your credit cards once you have made your decision to file bankruptcy. Charges for luxury goods and services owed to a single creditor, totaling to more than $500.00 within 90 days of filing, are presumed nondischargeable and may be found to be due and owing. Cash advances totaling to more than $750.00 for all creditors within 70 days of filing are also presumed nondischargeable and may be found to be due and owing. Don't jeopardize your "fresh start" by running up your credit cards.

2. THE REPAY A FAMILY MEMBER MISTAKE: You cannot treat your family member any better than you would an ordinary creditor with regard to repaying debts. In fact, a bankruptcy trustee can reclaim any amount repaid to a family member within one year of filing bankruptcy, although amounts under $2,000 are generally too small to bother with.

3. THE LIQUIDATE YOUR RETIREMENT ACCOUNT MISTAKE: Retirement accounts are generally protected. You can eliminate your debt and usually keep whatever you have in a retirement account, free and clear. Many individuals drain their retirement accounts in a futile attempt to pay down credit card debt.

4. THE TRANSFER PROPERTY OUT OF YOUR NAME MISTAKE: A bankruptcy trustee can undo a transfer of property that previously belonged to you. This can occur if the transfer was made within four years of the filing of the bankruptcy with the intent to hinder, delay or defraud a creditor, or simply if a fair price was not received.

5. THE LINE OF CREDIT/SECOND MORTGAGE TO PAY DEBT MISTAKE: Don't take a loan against your real estate in an effort to reduce the equity. You can often file bankruptcy and not lose this valuable asset. If you take out a second mortgage to pay credit card debt, you may be putting your house at risk.

6. THE FAILURE TO APPEAR AT COURT PROCEEDINGS MISTAKE: Do not assume that you can avoid a lawsuit simply because you've decided to file bankruptcy. A collection case continues until your bankruptcy case is actually filed, which occurs only after all the fees are paid, you have met with us and provided all the necessary information for preparing the 40 pages of bankruptcy forms, you have reviewed, signed, and returned the forms to us for filing with the Bankruptcy Court, and you have completed the required debt counseling program (by telephone or Internet) which we coordinate for you.

7. THE FAILURE TO TELL YOUR ATTORNEY THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH MISTAKE: An attorney can only provide advice based upon information provided by the client. Failure to notify your attorney about your assets can lead to the loss of those assets, denial of your bankruptcy case, fines, imprisonment, or all of the above.

About the Author: Jed Berliner has been an attorney since 1976. He began focusing almost exclusively in bankruptcy law in 1982 to make sure his clients could obtain cost-effective bankruptcy advice and services of the highest quality. Mr. Berliner has served as the Chair of the Hampden County Bankruptcy Bench-Bar Committee and studied at Cornell University and the University of Kansas.

http://www.chs-law.com/2008/04/seven...to-filing.html

Lucy Anderson

That is totally immoral and dishonest. That attorney needs to go the way of all bad attorneys.

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 11:19 AM, purplebunnyfoofoo <purplebunnyfoofoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

I did &#39;it&#39; over 10 years ago and my attorneys first bit of advice was take the credit cards and finishing maxing them out with groceries, lots of dry goods, paper products, can goods ect.....then toiletries, and finally clothes. We did and some items lasted a year.

*~*Teresa Lavey*~*

[/quote]
    --
    http://www..com

Matthew 22:37 - Love the Lord your God with all
    John 13:34 - Love one another
    Matthew 28:19 - Go and make disciples

Allison Planthaber

you're right. but some people don't think of the consequences of their scams...

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, angies_groups wrote:

Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Re:Big Decision/bankruptcy
    Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:20 AM

<DIV id="yiv1632562700">

<DIV class="Section1">
    Teresa,

I doubt your lawyer would want you to tell people about that because he has counseled you to commit credit card fraud. I dont recommend that anyone do anything like that just prior to filing. Im not sure why you think that ripping off the credit card companies (buying things you know you are never going to pay for) is okay. This is part of the reason that fees are so high. And is that really the lessons we want our children to learn?

From: Budget101_@yahoogro ups.com [mailto: Budget101_@yahoogro ups.com ] On Behalf Of purplebunnyfoofoo
    Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:20 PM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogro ups.com

<DIV id="ygrp-msg">

*~*Teresa Lavey*~*

Ellen

I hate to burst your bubble but you are both wrong. Yes the laws

changed in 2005 to reduce the amount of abuse being found in the

system. I work for a bankruptcy attorney and only in a chapt 13 do you

pay on secured creditors. You dont pay anyone in a chapter 7 unless it

deemed by the trustee as an asset case. Then you must had over your tax

refunds and stimulas checks to be parted out among the creditors.

Bankruptcy is a tough decision to make, however, it is your legal right

and remedy. Dont listen to what is on the boards, get a consult with an

attorney and find out exactly what your situation calls for. Each case

is unique and requires the right attention in order for it to be

successfully completed

Regards, Ellen

jacqueline osgood

Before you go to an attourney go to consumer credit counciling. Save your respectability and your peace of mind. They charge nothing. They will help you get back on track. It won't be easy or done overnight. You only want to go bankrupt as an absolute last resort.
    --- On Wed, 7/2/08, Ellen <sweetelle_99@yahoo.com> wrote:

Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 6:08 PM

<DIV id="yiv1550151076">

I hate to burst your bubble but you are both wrong. Yes the laws
    changed in 2005 to reduce the amount of abuse being found in the
    system. I work for a bankruptcy attorney and only in a chapt 13 do you
    pay on secured creditors. You dont pay anyone in a chapter 7 unless it
    deemed by the trustee as an asset case. Then you must had over your tax
    refunds and stimulas checks to be parted out among the creditors.
    Bankruptcy is a tough decision to make, however, it is your legal right
    and remedy. Dont listen to what is on the boards, get a consult with an
    attorney and find out exactly what your situation calls for. Each case
    is unique and requires the right attention in order for it to be
    successfully completed

Regards, Ellen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast