Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Borax soap pros&cons

I've been reading about this discussion and haven't said anything but now feel like I should. If you look at a bottle of dish soap it will say something to the effect of "CAUTION: Avoid contact w/mouth, eyes and skin. Keep this and all cleaniong products out of readh of children." It will then go on to say if swallowed or gets in the mouth to call a Dr. immediately. I think what you're reading on the thing of Borax is ment regarding if a kid gets ahold of it and eats it...not if its used to wash dishes etc. Of course this is JMHO but all laundry/dish detergents have these warnings.

Nath/Fauna
    nuttymomof4@comcast.net
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 8:07 PM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : To Susan Re: Borax

I just wrote to Borax and asked them if it is safe to use in dishwashers. I told them about how I am in a group and we are discussing it, so if they email me back I will forward there response to all of you.

Laurie-Maine

Hi there, I usually don't post, but had to repond to this one, borax is
    INDEED poison. If you look at the bottom of this
    http://www.icgov.org/documents/altcleaningsolutions.pdf link about
    alternative cleansers, you will find that it is also caustic! It does work
    wonderfully, just use good judgement. And, as with any chemical keep it away
    from the kiddos & pets. http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/borax.html
    <~~~This site give a chemical breakdown. It is also used as a pesticide.
    Blessings, Leah in Colorado

Copyrights 2001-2002 Budget101.com tm - All Rights Reserved

Visit http://www.Budget101.com Today!

To Subscribe: Budget101_-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
    To Switch to Digest Mode: Budget101_-digest@yahoogroups.com
    To Unsubscribe: Budget101_-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    To Complain/Compliment List owner: Budget101_-owner@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    All of my posts were transferred from
    the budget101 Discussion list
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiggerPiggyBank For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Susan,

What you read is 100 percent wrong. Borax is not toxic and is a natural mineral from the earth. It constists of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. You may be thinking of boric which is an acid and is not the same as borax.

Laurie-Maine

Hello All,
    I read some where (maybe this group, I don't remember) a recipe for
    homemade dishwashing soap. Equal parts washing soda and borax. So I did
    that and it seems to work pretty well. Then I read the other day that
    borax is extremely poisonois. Now I'm worried. Since my dishwasher isn't
    the greatest at washing and rinsing I don't want to be poisoning my
    family.
    Should I stop using it? What do you all think?
    Thanks allot..................Susan

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : washing soda and borax

no it's borax.

Washing Soda is put out by Arm-n-Hammer. See pic below.

~Liss
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : washing soda and borax

Isn't 3 Mule Team washing soda?

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Chris,

What does the box include as ingredients, there may be additives that are
    harmful if you swallow it ADDED to the borax in the box. I do know that
    almost EVERY SINGLE thing I purchase has just about the same warning you
    have there on that box. For intance, I purchase two different brands of
    toothpaste and both carry the warning: Do not swallow, if product is
    swallowed seek medical advice immediately. This warning is on TOOTHPASTE
    for crying out loud!

Emily Y.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

It doesn't have a list of ingredients. I think borax is the only
    ingredient. According to my dictionary, borax is a naturally
    occurring mineral. (As are talc and asbestos).

We don't have the same warnings on everything we purchase but EU
    (European Union) regulations require that dangerous substances are
    clearly labelled. Harmful substances (including borax) have a square
    orange box on the packet, with a large black cross in the box, to
    draw your attention to the warning. Some warnings (not borax) have
    the word "irritant" if the substance is likely to react to your
    skin/eyes.

Some manufacturers seem to live in fear of being sued. I believe
    that McDonalds coffee has a warning that it is hot, following a case
    where someone sued because they burned themselves. I have also heard
    that a label on a new iron read "it is dangerous to iron clothes
    whilst wearing them".

~chris (UK)~

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there, I usually don't post, but had to repond to this one, borax is
    INDEED poison. If you look at the bottom of this
    http://www.icgov.org/documents/altcleaningsolutions.pdf link about
    alternative cleansers, you will find that it is also caustic! It does work
    wonderfully, just use good judgement. And, as with any chemical keep it away
    from the kiddos & pets. http://infoventures.com/e-hlth/pestcide/borax.html
    <~~~This site give a chemical breakdown. It is also used as a pesticide.
    Blessings, Leah in Colorado

> Hello All,
    > I read some where (maybe this group, I don't remember) a recipe for
    > homemade dishwashing soap. Equal parts washing soda and borax. So I did
    > that and it seems to work pretty well. Then I read the other day that
    > borax is extremely poisonois. Now I'm worried. Since my dishwasher isn't
    > the greatest at washing and rinsing I don't want to be poisoning my
    > family.
    > Should I stop using it? What do you all think?
    > Thanks allot..................Susan
    >

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Borax soap pros&cons

I hand make soap from scratch. you know with oils and lye. But I have to say I have never seen borox used in a dish soap. I wouldent recomend it. Borox can be used to make an Washing machine soap. I would not use it on somthing you put in your mouth though. Regular hand made soap can be used though. All the caustic ingereadents in hand made soap go through a chemical change that if don right are no longer harmfull. Makeing an handmade soap with some bee wax added will make your dishes dry without spots. Other than that I think I will pop over to one of my soaping forums when I have time and check the whole Borox dish soap thing but It really seems to me to be a bad idea.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Borax soap pros&cons

Borax Cures

Updated: 04/11/2009

CHEMICAL NAME: Sodium borate decahydrate (borax)
    SYNONYMS: Sodium borate; Borax; Boric acid, disodium salt; Sodium tetraborate; Sodium borate decahydrate; Sodium tetraborate decahydrate; Disodium tetraborate decahydrate

USEFUL WEBSITE:
    Household Products Database - Health and Safety Information on Household Products

WHERE TO FIND BORAX:

In the laundry detergent section of your local grocery store.
    Brand Names: 20 Mule Team (USA), BORAXO (USA, MEXICO)

If you live outside the USA, please contact us with additional brand names of borax sold in your country.

01/06/2009: CN from Albuquerque, NM replies: "This is for C.D. in Indonesia. Silversmiths in Bali use pure Borax crystals for flux when they solder. It is usually in a crystalline form, sometimes in powder. You can buy it inexpensively at a jeweler supply store in Celuk in Bali, or Kota Gede in Yogyakarta. I don't know Jakarta, but there must be somewhere there. Sorry, I cannot remember the exact name in Indonesian. Hope this helps."

BORAX BACKGROUND
    Curious to know why borax is one of the most important remedies to kill fungus and nano-bacteria? Us too! We asked our independent contributor from Bangkok for clarification on why borax is an important home remedy to consider in certain cases like dog mange, lupus and rosacea.

Ted's response: "There are a lot of evidence why borax is effective against nearly all forms of fungus, whether they be mycoplasma found in lupus, rosacea, dog mange, interstitial cystitis plasmodium parasites, Morgellons disease, or even pneumonia. I think borax medicine is one of the medicines most ignored, misinformed or even suppressed in our present society. The authorities have done it so well that very few know that the toxicity of borax is about equal to that of simple table salt.

I have seen almost daily, people dying of pneumonia (James Brown died a couple of days ago), a Thai actor got his brains eaten by a plasmodium, for example. The possible cure is relatively simple: borax. Every time I see people dying, borax always come to mind, and you probably see why. Even health experts such as Dr. Batmanhelidj (Your Body Cries for Water) got pneumonia, as so did Bob Hope and Buddy Ebsen (Beverly HillBilly). I think pneumonia kills just as many people, it's just that cancer and heart disease take greater billboard area. Because of the way the medical system is structured, heart disease and cancer is more profitable, and a simple magnesium and pH may have helped both problems in prevention and possibly cure (I have seen this on many occasions) for a lot less cost.

Below is one of the many interesting articles concerning borax, which mentions the use of borax against fungus, a well known fact amongst microbiologists but totally unknown to the public.

The second article mentions about the use of borax against the dreaded an incurable plasmodium related organism, a common parasites in human. Never mind about its own effectiveness when combined with hydrogen peroxide in the use of dog mange! Ted"

PIONEER MAGAZINE
    Borax Versus Killer Fungus
    January 1994

Conifer forests are threatened all over the northern hemisphere by the tiny, ubiquitous spores of a naturally occurring fungus called Heterobasidion annosum. This disease, better known as Fomes, has reached epidemic proportions in Scandinavia, and is a growing menace in the managed forests of Canada, United States, Britain, and Russia. Fomes rots the roots and heartwood of growing trees. It could be called the acid rain of the fungus world.

Supporting the UK's Forestry Commission, Borax Group scientists Kieran Quill and Jeff Lloyd are fighting back against Fomes, and discovering how to do so with maximum effectiveness and economy. Their principal weapons are Tim-bor (disodium octaborate tetrahydrate) and the analytical capacity of the Borax Research laboratories.

Fomes cannot live freely in soil nor can it infect live trees except through root contact or wounds. Its spores however can colonize freshly cut stumps - both the "thinnings" which are essential as forests mature and the stumps left when the crop is finally felled.

The spores are produced by hoof-shaped fruiting bodies near ground level at a daily rate of about six million per square centimeter. Because these spores can be dispersed over distances of at least 300 miles, Fomes can be considered ubiquitous in most managed forests. Once established the fungus can remain viable in a stump for decades, posing a continuous threat to any conifer growing or planted near it. Fomes can survive both extreme cold and extreme heat.

But how are healthy trees infected? Fomes spores germinate on the stump surface, whence the fungus gradually colonizes the root system of the felled tree. From there it enters the root systems of living trees that are in contact with the stump's roots, causing both roots and heartwood to decay, eventually killing the tree.

The fungus is almost impossible to eradicate, except by the removal of all stumps soon after felling - an expensive and rarely practicable option. However, germination of spores on the surface of stumps can be stopped by chemical and biological agents. In the past, this has been carried out manually by the tree feller, but now with increasing mechanization, the requirements have changed. Today a material is needed that can be sprayed automatically onto the stump while the harvesting machine is actually severing the tree. The material must give value for money, be easy to obtain, have low mammalian toxicity, be non-corrosive and environmentally benign.

Among several fungicides tested, borates have consistently given good control. Tim-bor (known as Tim-Bor® in North America) and borax are the only chemicals to have EPA approval for the control of Fomes in the U.S. However materials that are effective over large areas of North America may behave differently in northern Europe where rainfall, climatic conditions and forest management techniques could result in a completely different set of disease and control characteristics. In the light of this, the UK Forestry Commission and the Borax Group have carried out trials in Scotland with the object of determining borate efficacy. What is the threshold at which Tim-bor becomes toxic to the fungus? How little will do the trick?

Undiseased Sitka spruce near Peebles, Scotland were felled and their stumps were treated with Tim-bor at four percent, two percent, one percent, 0.5 percent, or with water. Twenty-four hours later Fomes was applied dropwise by hypodermic syringe.

The stumps were left to mature for a year, during which time samples of wood were regularly extracted with a core borer for borate analysis. At the end of a year, the amount of stump colonized by Fomes was measured on a one inch thick disc cut from a standard depth. Each disc was incubated at 10ºC to 15ºC for ten days.

During incubation, fruiting structures of the fungus emerge from infected wood. These can be seen quite easily under a dissecting microscope, and allow any diseased zones of the stump to be mapped. A comparison of the measured diseased areas on the sample discs provides a means of judging the success of a particular treatment.

All analytical work for the project was carried out at the Borax Research laboratories in Chessington (UK).

The results from this experiment indicate that at a borate concentration of around four percent, the mean area of infected heartwood was reduced from 22 percent to less than 0.5 percent. This represented less than one square centimeter, an insignificant inoculum. However, at concentrations of two percent and below, no significant control occurred. In an earlier experiment it was found that a concentration of five percent totally prevented infection. So a working concentration of four to five percent of Tim-bor is indicated for full disease control.

As a result of this research, Tim-bor is being assessed for full commercial application by the UK Forestry Commission, and has aroused widespread interest across Europe."