Beans…beans…beans

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Beans…beans…beans

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      lmitchell

To help cut back on cost, my family will be incorporating more beans into our diet and having actual meat at a meal only 2 or 3 times a week. Does anyone have any good recipes for beans as the main staple?

lmitchell

This is a duplicate post. Sorry. Not sure what happened. If this post can be deleted, that would be awesome.

MrsPaws

90-Minute black beans

One 1-pound package black beans
      1 onion-diced
      3 cloves garlic-minced
      1 chipotle in adobo-seeded and minced
      1 tsp ground cumin
      1 bay leaf
      ½ cup prepared sofrito*optional*
      salt & pepper-to taste

Preheat oven to 250.
      Dump everything into a (oven safe) Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid.
      Add water to cover by one inch and heat, uncovered, over a high until boiling.

Turn off heat, cover, and put it in the oven for 75 minutes or so-check around

the 45 minute mark and add more water if necessary.
      Some beans take longer to cook than others, so if they’re not done at 75

minutes check again in 15 minutes.
      Cook until desired doneness.
      Remove bay leaf and serve.

Serves 6 as a main course, 10-12 as a side

MrsPaws

Of course, there’s the old stand by; Beans and cornbread.

soaked and rinsed pinto or great northern beans
      ham hock/ham fat/ham/ham bone OR … ((I usually use left over ham or ham bone))
      salt and pepper
      1 onion-diced
      water

Add everything into a prepared Crock Pot and let it go until done.
      Serve with cornbread.

MrsPaws

I honestly don’t remember where I came up with these two recipes, but they’re pretty tasty.

Pinto Bean Sloppy Joe’s from the Supermarket Vegan cookbook.

1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
      1 cup chopped onion
      1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
      2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
      1 (15 oz) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
      1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
      3/4 cup water
      1/3 cup wheat germ
      1/4 cup molasses
      1 tbsp of chili powder
      1/2 to 1 tsp of liquid smoke(optional)
      salt and pepper-to taste
      hot sauce-to taste (optional)
      6 buns or whatever bread you use

In a medium nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and remaining ingredients. Bing to a simmer over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, simmer on low until thickened. About 8 to 10 minutes, stirring and mashing the beans with the back of a large spoon.
      Spoon on hamburger bun.
      Pinto bean “sloppy Joes”

1. Prep.

-1 onion, diced
      -3-4 cloves garlic, minced
      -1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
      -1 medium carrot, diced
      -2 stalks celery, diced
      -2 medium-large tomatoes, diced

2. Cook.

Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a saute pan and lightly saute the onions, carrots, and celery with a pinch of Kosher salt.

Once the vegetables have softened, about 8-10 minutes, add the bell pepper, garlic, and tomatoes, and 1/2 cup fresh filtered water. Raise the heat a bit to get the mixture simmering.

Season with:
      -1 Tbsp dried basil
      -1 tsp dried oregano
      -1 Tbsp chili powder
      -1/4 tsp chipotle powder
      -1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
      -1/4 tsp ground cloves
      -1/2 tsp sea salt
      -2 Tbsp brown sugar
      -several grinds of freshly-cracked black pepper

Let simmer and reduce, about 10 minutes.

3. Stir in 1 can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed well + 1/3 cup gluten-free bread crumbs (or regular bread crumbs, wheat germ, fine bulgur wheat), if desired, to help absorb some of the excess liquid and make for a saucier consistency.

Simmer 5 minutes, then mash some of the beans with the back of a fork or spoon. Simmer a couple minutes more.

4. Remove from the heat, taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. Serve on your favorite bun or bread, rice, or alone…however you like!

lmitchell

Wow. Thanks for the responses!!! These will really help us out.

SpokaneLinda

I don’t know if you are still looking for recipes but, I will tell you what we do.
      I have used a lot of different dry beans in the last several years.
      *Small Red Beans are the easiest to get “right” every time without over cooking.
      They have the taste of a butter bean but the longer cooking time makes them cook up in a crockpot the easiest.
      *I salt my beans while soaking them but don’t add salt to my cooking water.

*I use beans as a substitute for any hamburger meal or as an extender for a hamburger meal. Tacos and Sloppy Joes are 2 examples.
      *Burritos-beans, rice cheese and salsa
      *I make vegetable soup and add beans that I have cooked along with pasta and oregano for a fast minestrone soup.
      *I love to add some kidney beans or small red beans to cole slaw with a pinch of chili powder and some adobo sauce from chipoltes for a wonderful cold taco filling or to use as a salad on taco night.
      *I add pinto beans to rice along with seasoning for dirty rice for a veggie dirty rice meal.
      Of course, I am the person that when I only have to feed myself, I get a jar of beans and heat them up.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Dirt Cheap Dinners Beans…beans…beans