Thread: dinner disaster

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default dinner disaster

I had been searching on pinterest for ideas to post here about left overs. I cam across one to make turkey ravioli with leftover turkey from Thanksgiving. The recipe was talking about leftover gravy and cranberry sauce... well my turkey has been in the freezer since November, I really don't have the 'extras' leftover anymore.

the idea was to make a ravioli using a wonton wrapper. you put the fixings in the wrapper, egg wash it and fold. turn the wrapper so it looks like a diamond, fold it by left over right and top over bottom. boil for 1-2 minutes, serve with turkey gravy.

I have wonton wrappers so I guess I will make this with the olive garden cheese sauce I posted earlier this week. that should be good, right?

I laid half the wrappers out so I could do half at once. half way through I had to help the 7 year old and my wrappers dried out. I was stuffing them with mozzarella cheese and turkey cubes. the wrappers were falling apart on me. with the use of a lot of egg and water I finally was able to get the first half made.

so I go to work on my sauce. it needs 1 pint of heavy cream....nope don't have that. so I use the 3/4c milk to 1/3 c of butter to make 1 cup of cream. ok so double it to make a pint, right? oh gee...I don't have enough butter. so I add more milk to make up the difference. add the cream cheese and the parm cheese. it is so runny. I let it cook for a little while, hoping it would reduce down.

I continue to make the rest of the ravioli. the 2nd half were in the fridge and much easier to work with. 15 minutes before hubby comes home from work. DS10 having asthma attack. finally get the rest wrapped and they actually look good. I get the wrapper wet, pinch of cheese, and a turkey cube, and fold. ok those are done. so I quickly use soup base to make a broth to boil these things in. 20 tastes and I finally get it right.

water is full boil, I cook 10 at a time so I don't 'lose' any.

cheese sauce is still really runny. so I add corn starch to get it to thicken up. about 4 T.at this time I was almost in panic mode.

kid one comes and says I want 2, one with sauce and one without.

kid two comes and says I want 5 with no sauce
    kid three comes and says I want a whole plate with just enough sauce to taste
    hubby comes and says 'oh great, another experiment?'

kid one comes and asks for bread cut into sticks so he can dip it into the sauce, kid 2 was ok with 5. kid 3 ate 10 and wanted more sauce. hubby ate 2 full plates, a ton of sauce and we have some leftover.

my horrible 'what else can go wrong' diner has already been requested for again.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: dinner disaster

LOL!!! (especially at the husband comment) ... did you throw something at him? LOL

only 1 in our family likes Turkey, so I take full advantage of this, and DEMAND that we go out to dinner on Thanksgiving day... LOL

It's ham that I have to be creative with -- this year we had 2 half spiral hams ...and I have ALL of the leftovers. Today I cut them up with scissors and froze them in 3 cup bags -- I will figure out what to do with them later -- like in July when I am out of school.
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

I really wanted to toss the boiling water at hubby, however, he has good reason to b concerned when I start dinner with 'hey, why not try this!' the poor guy usually eats it. when he comes back for seconds and the excuse isn't 'I didn't get lunch today' I know I did good.

the next time I make it, I think I am going to grind the meat, and mix it with something else. with the cheese sauce the mozzarella was lost. any ideas what I can mix the turkey with? I think with just turkey it would be a little bland.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bet sausage would be good. that would make it almost like a Chinese dumpling.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

because turkey is usually pablum, you could mix it with any other spicy meat to perk up the flavor -- you could even mix it with chorizo or andouille ...

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

you are coming up with some nice ideas. I appreciate letting me pick your brain.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You could do the mix (turkey and sausage) and make a shumai dumpling. Instead of boiling the dumpling, they are left open and steamed to cook. Just make sure the meats are all cooked ahead of time.
    ~Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but how many times our breaths are taken away!~