Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Pressure Cooker recipes

does anyone have pressure cooker recipes? I do not see a forum specifically for them, and I just bought one today...

I remember that my mom used to make pepper steak in hers when I was a little girl... but I don't remember (was too young really) what she put in it, or how long, etc.

TIA.
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CulArtStudent For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Pressure Cooker recipes

you could do a whole chicken and pour a beer (in my case a diet coke) over it and let it cook for 8 hours.

I also make chicken and noodles, buy adding 2 large cream of chicken soup, cut up cooked chicken, and Country Style egg noodles let cook for 4-6 hours. maybe add some broth if it gets to thick.

Take a frozen turkey breast and set it on the crockpot, season it as you would any other turkey. (don't add water) as the turkey thaws, it will make its own broth. 10 hours...perfect turkey.

I make vegetable soup in mine, I use homemade broth, leftover chicken or turkey, bag of frozen vegetables. 8-10 hours for vegetables to get done. longer if I use fresh carrots and potatoes.

just remember when cooking with a crock pot, don't lift the lid. for every 5 minutes you lift the lid, it takes 30 minutes to get it back up to temp. it is actually set it and forget it.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have tons of Crock pot recipes -- but am looking for Pressure Cooker recipes.

I think all of the above in a pressure cooker would turn to mush. XD
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

LOL, when I read that, I did read it as crock pot. I must be tireder than I thought...your right, most of what I wrote would make baby food.

ok... pressure cooker...

I take a chuck roast, and apple juice to cover meat, jiggle for 30-45 minutes. add taters and carrots, jiggle another 10 minutes. make gravy with juice that is left over. gives meat of being slowly cooked over apple wood.

I cook a whole chicken with diet coke for about 45 minutes.

before I got my new crock pot, I use to use the pressure cooker a lot. right now I am working on 90 minutes of sleep since yesterday morning. I really cant think of what I use it for. I know if you keep an eye out on amazon, they usually have free ecookbooks for pressure cooking. if you don't have a kindle, Liss has posted instructions on how to download kindle for PC under the free ebooks section.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I grew up with a pressure cooker in the house & we used it a LOT. Basically, you can cook anything you would boil in about a third of the time. Tomato based sauces are fantastic. Chicken/ beef/ vegetable stock are so much faster.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

my first meal in the crockpot -- took less than 20 minutes total -- chicken and dumplings with boneless skinless chicken breasts cut with my kitchen shears -- it was awesome!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a Pepper Steak recipe:

1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
    2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
    1 large sweet Onion, peeled and sliced
    3 Cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
    1 pound Beef Round Steak
    1/2 cup Beef Broth
    1 Tablespoon Sherry or Beef Broth
    1 teaspoon light Brown Sugar
    1 teaspoon fresh Ginger, grated
    Pinch dried Red Pepper Flakes
    2 Tomatoes
    1 large green, red or yellow Bell Pepper, seeded and sliced
    4 Green Onions, sliced
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce
    2 Tablespoons Cold Water
    2 Tablespoons Cornstarch

In a 6 to 8 quart stock pot type pressure cooker heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion; saute for 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic; saute for 30 seconds. Cut the round steak into thin strips. Add to the pressure cooker; stir-fry for 3 minutes. Stir in the broth, sherry, brown sugar, ginger, and pepper flakes. Lock the lid into place and bring to high pressure; maintain pressure for 10 minutes. Quick-release the pressure. Remove the lid.
    Peel the tomatoes and remove the seeds; cut them into eighths. Add to the pressure cooker along with the bell pepper and green onions. Lock the lid into place and bring to low pressure; maintain pressure for 3 minutes. Quick-release the pressure and remove the lid.
    In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the soy sauce, water, and cornstarch. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the beef mixture in the pressure cooker. Cook uncovered, stirring gently, for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.

Enjoy! Makes around 6 servings.

Usually this is served over rice, but I prefer it with Mashed Potatoes.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is information that may be useful:

Chart For Brown Rice

***FOR 2 1/4 CUPS COOKED BROWN RICE***
    1 cup short grain brown rice
    1 3/4 cups boiling liquid
    1/2 tsp salt, optional
    1 Tbs oil
    ***FOR 3 1/2 CUPS COOKED BROWN RICE***
    1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice
    2 1/2 cups boiling liquid
    3/4 tsp salt, optional
    1 Tbs oil
    ***FOR 5 CUPS COOKED BROWN RICE***
    2 cups short grain brown rice
    3 1/2 cups boiling liquid
    1 tsp salt, optional
    1 1/2 Tbs oil
    ***FOR 7 CUPS COOKED BROWN RICE***
    3 cups short grain brown rice
    5 cups boiling liquid
    1 1/2 tsp salt, optional
    2 Tbs oil
    ***FOR 10 CUPS COOKED BROWN RICE***
    4 cups short grain brown rice
    6 1/2 cups boiling liquid
    2 tsp salt, optional
    2 Tbs oil

1. Do not fill the cooker beyond the halfway mark. Try long grain brown rice, brown basmati, or brown wehani rice.

2. Heat the oil in the cooker. Saute the rice until lightly browned, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes. (*see note) Turn off the heat and stir in the boiling water (watch for oil sputtering), add any flavoring options, and salt if using. Lock the lid in place and over high heat bring to high pressure. Adjust heat to maintain high pressure and cook for 15 minutes.

3. Turn off the heat and let the pressure drop naturally while the rice steams in the residual heat for 10 minutes. Reduce any remaining pressure with a quick release method. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape. If the rice is not sufficiently cooked, stir in a few tablespoons of boiling water if the mixture seems dry, and replace the lid. Simmer over very low heat for another minute or two, or until done.

4. Fluff with a fork and serve immediately.

5. Note: For cookers requiring a 2-cup liquid minimum to come up to pressure, you must multiply this recipe by 1 1/2.

6. *Saute the rice in the oil to avoid foaming and to reduce the possibility of rice sticking to the bottom of the cooker. The gentle toasting also enhances the flavor and prevents the rice from clumping together.

Nutrition (per serving): 903 calories, 903 calories from fat, 102g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 12257mg sodium, 0g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 0g protein, 26.2 points.

Author: Cooking Under Pressure, copyright 1989

Author Notes
    For rice with a distinctly chewy texture, opt for the short grain variety. It is also less fussy to prepare. You can let the pressure drop naturally and leave the lid on the pot for 5 to 10 additional minutes without damaging the texture. Don't try this casual approach with other types of brown rice, or you might find yourself with a sticky mess.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast