oh HI oh
    Blog Entries

Default Summer's coming (thank goodness) here is a tip...

with the summer swiftly approaching (it's a miracle we survived winter huh?), here is a tip to remember when storing fresh fruit...

It's pretty disappointing to come home with fresh, scrumptious berries only to find them rotting and covered in mold just a few days later. Cook's Illustrated says a little vinegar solution can keep that fuzzy mold off your delicate berries and extend their life.

The vinegar and water solution destroys bacteria and mold spores, helping the berries last longer. Here are the instructions for the best way to wash, dry, and store berries:

1. Wash berries in bowl with 3 cups water mixed with 1 cup white vinegar. Drain in colander and rinse under running water.
    2. Place berries in salad spinner lined with 3 layers of paper towels. Spin for 15 seconds or until berries are completely dry.
    3. Store berries in paper towel-lined sealable container, keeping lid slightly open to allow excess moisture to escape.

if you don't have a spinner, lay berries flat and let them air dry on paper towels...then store in your fridge.

Budget101 Done Digging bethaliz6894's Avatar

Default Re: Summer's coming (thank goodness) here is a tip...

thank you for the tip. I think I am going to try this when I buy my strawberries. I love them, but they go bad so fast so I don't buy many at a time.