Help...empty pantry!

Hi there, This is my first time writing, but I hope someone can help. My fiance and I are moving into our own place in about three weeks, finally out of his parents' house. We have absolutely no food, none whatsoever. If your pantry was COMPLETELY bare, what groceries would you buy to be

absolutely, bare, basic, buy, dishes, finally, food, groceries, hamburger, hope, learn, loaf, meals, pan, pantry, parents, place, spaghetti, time, weeks, make, jennifer, completely, hamburgers, afford, meatloaf, fiance, moving, writing, empty, house, whatsoever

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help...empty pantry!

Hi there,

This is my first time writing, but I hope someone can help. My fiance and I are
    moving into our own place in about three weeks, finally out of his parents'
    house.

We have absolutely no food, none whatsoever.

If your pantry was COMPLETELY bare, what groceries would you buy to be able to
    make basic meals until you could afford to buy more?

We like a lot of hamburger dishes: Spaghetti, hamburgers, meatloaf, but I want

to learn to make more than just those...

Help...please...

Jennifer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

>> If your pantry was COMPLETELY bare, what groceries would you buy
    to be able to make basic meals until you could afford to buy more?

A good resource is the $10 Grocery List on http://www.Budget101.com

~Liss

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : Help...empty pantry!

I would buy hamburger, maybe a roast or two, some sausage. You can use the
    hamburger to make spaghetti, hamburgers. With a roast, you can have roast,
    potatoes and a veggie, with the leftovers you can make sandwiches. Sausage used
    for sandwiches or for your spaghetti. I try to pick meats that I can get a few
    meals out of. A ham, for a ham dinner, ham for omelettes one night for dinner,
    hot ham sandwiches. And if you like pea soup, use the ham bone for that....
    Hope this helps.

Dee

Downloads
    Uploads

It all depends on the things you like to eat. We love noodle type dishes so we
    keep a lot of rice, and different types of noodles on ours, but my dad doesnt'
    like noodles so it wouldn't make since for my mom to stock hers with noodles. so
    it just depends on your tastes. Noodles are very cheap and you can add just
    about anything to them to make an easy and inexpensive meal.

We keep a lot of Cream of mushroom soup on hand for easy gravy to add with meat
    and rice. We use a lot of Cream Cheese so we like to stock up on that when we
    get a chance. We use it for alfredo sauce.

We also use a lot of chicken breasts so we try to keep that on hand also.
    Lemon-Mustard chicken is our favorite for that one. In fact we usually try to
    make extra of this one and cut it up to add to our alfredo sauce for dinner the
    next night.

My husband also loves to cook seafood so we try to keep that on hand just in
    case he gets in the mood for that. Usually it is just various types of frozen
    shrimp, fish, and muscles.

If new recipes is what you want, I'd check out http://www.kraftfoods.com that is where
    i go to make out my grocery list for the week. I put in the stuff i know i want
    to make on the days of the week and then I go through and put ingredients that I
    have on hand into the search and the recipes pop up that have that ingredient in
    them and that is what i use for the days that i want to try something different
    or just don't know what i want to make for that day.

HTH
    Stacey

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,

Not sure how big your family is, but this is a tried and true recipe for
    stretching a whole chicken. Cheap and tasty too. This is from Leanne Ely,
    author of Saving Dinner. I'm not affiliated with her or her website, just a big
    fan of her recipes. HTH

Wendy

Leanne Ely's Rubber Chicken
    Serves 4 for 3 days

1 chicken -- washed and patted dry (get a nice sized one)
    1/2 celery rib -- cut in pieces
    1 onion -- quartered
    1 carrot -- cut in 2" pieces
    salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste

Day One: The adventure begins--Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In the cavity of the
    chicken, season with salt, pepper and garlic powder and place cut up vegetables
    inside. Sprinkle the outside with salt and pepper and a little garlic powder,
    too, if you like.

Cook for about an hour or longer (depending on the size of the bird) till the
    juices run clear. Let sit a minute and then remove the vegetables. In the
    meantime, if you were smart, you boiled the neck with some celery, onion and
    carrot and have that broth, too.

To further cut down on the grease from the chicken, you could take the cooking
    juices and put them in a cup and refrigerate while you make the rest of the
    meal. This will get rid of a significant amount of chicken fat which will all
    rise to the top. Make a nice gravy by deglazing the pan with a little water and
    thicken it up with a flour/water mixture (about a tablespoon should do) Serve
    your wonderful chicken with Just Like Mama's Mashed Potatoes and lots and lots
    of veggies. Remember, you want leftover chicken.

Day Two: Let the adventure continue! Take your time and pull every last itty
    bitty bit of chicken of them bones. You want that chicken skeleton to look like
    a science project. Toss the chicken in pot with a can of black beans and season
    with a little cumin, some garlic powder and serve it up with lots of salsa,
    tortillas, some cheese--whatever turns your key! A great big salad will give you
    a perfect dinner.

Day Three: The adventure ends--with the skeletal remains finally hitting the
    stock pot. Throw in the same veggies: onion, carrots and celery, season it with
    salt, pepper and garlic powder and throw about 3 quarts of water over the top.
    Cook the daylights out of it and strain. Now make soup or store appropriately.
    Bet you didn't know one puny chicken had so many meals in it, did you?

Remember this is Rubber Chicken, not Miracle Chicken, if you have a big family,
    you will need to cook more than one chicken to insure leftovers. LOL

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Savin' Moola For This Useful Post:

Downloads
    Uploads

RE: Budget101.com : Help...empty pantry!

Great Recipe thanks

Love Ya,
    Andrea

Downloads
    Uploads

Budget101.com : ISO Avacado Dip Recipe asap

I am looking for an avacado dip recipe. The grocery store I was in yesterday had
    11 marked down in a bag for .52 cents, so I figured now is the time to try, but
    they are getting very soft, so I need to do it today.

Lynn

Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Budget101.com : ISO Avacado Dip Recipe asap

The very best guacamole (avocado dip) is made by just simply mashing up the
    avocados with a fork, and then adding finely chopped onion, and plenty of salt.
    Taste test until you have enough salt. You can add a tiny bit of lemon juice or
    some Fruit Fresh from the store to keep it from darkening as fast. This is way
    more yummy than all the recipes that add lots of other seasonings and stuff.
    Barbara

I am looking for an avacado dip recipe. The grocery store I was in yesterday
    had 11 marked down in a bag for .52 cents, so I figured now is the time to try,
    but they are getting very soft, so I need to do it today.

Lynn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast