Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dvictor1@cox.net>

Default Price Book...in this economy, why bother?

I had to throw away my price book, I could not keep up with the rising prices.

(It was a spiral notebook and I ran out of space to write the new prices)

Everytime I went to the store (twice a month, sometimes more) the prices had

gone up. It would be useless in my opinion to even attempt a price book at this

time with food cost constantly rising. I know I can only get half of what I use

to be able to get for the same amount of money here in OK! I found a Sara Lee

Bakery where I can get the whole wheat bread for a dollar a loaf, which I

believe is because it is right next to their local bakery here in OK and I found

at Aldi's I can get a dozen eggs for .99. Thank God we still have one child on

WIC or we would have to give up milk or at least cut way down. I gave up my 33

year diet dr. pepper habit after it came to food or dp. We also cut down on

cheese since it is now almost $4 a pound for the store brand. We have not

bought red meat since the last outbreak of bad meat but hubby was really

starting to crave it again and I almost passed out in the store when I saw the

cost of it! He can continue his cravings!!! It is getting really bad out there!

We are a family of 5 and I can barely keep our food budget under $400 a month.

One of our local news stations pointed out the manufactures are also changing

their products. I think one of the examples of mayo went from 32oz to 30oz but

the price is the same. They stopped putting as many chips in the bags, but the

packaging is undectable so unless you are looking at the exact amount of

product, most people would not recognize the change.

Hubby is a HUGE meat eater, he has to have meat with a meal, and I try to

accomodate him since he works so hard but it is getting harder and harder to do.

What is everyone else doing at the grocery store to make your food dollars

stretch? I would love to get a top 5 or top 10 list started!

J Diane Northcutt

I agree , a paper price book would be impossible to keep udated in this economy. I was blessed by relatives with a Palm Pilot a couple of years ago. It came with Splash Shopper . I paid for the full version that is on your computer desktop as well. Splash Shopper is a price book / grocery list that you keep on the computer and upload to the palm pilot. When prices change,I can change the info on the computer and it changes the handheld when I hotsync.
    I paid 30 dollars for the Splash Shopper, butI got a second money management software for free. This has turned out to be one of those purchases that in the long run pays for itself in savings.

Diane
    [quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:23 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Price Book...in this economy, why bother?

I had to throw away my price book, I could not keep up with the rising prices. (It was a spiral notebook and I ran out of space to write the new prices) Everytime I went to the store (twice a month, sometimes more) the prices had gone up. It would be useless in my opinion to even attempt a price book at this time with food cost constantly rising. I know I can only get half of what I use to be able to get for the same amount of money here in OK! I found a Sara Lee Bakery where I can get the whole wheat bread for a dollar a loaf, which I believe is because it is right next to their local bakery here in OK and I found at Aldi's I can get a dozen eggs for .99. Thank God we still have one child on WIC or we would have to give up milk or at least cut way down. I gave up my 33 year diet dr. pepper habit after it came to food or dp. We also cut down on cheese since it is now almost $4 a pound for the store brand. We have not bought red meat since the last outbreak of bad meat but hubby was really starting to crave it again and I almost passed out in the store when I saw the cost of it! He can continue his cravings!!! It is getting really bad out there!
    We are a family of 5 and I can barely keep our food budget under $400 a month. One of our local news stations pointed out the manufactures are also changing their products. I think one of the examples of mayo went from 32oz to 30oz but the price is the same. They stopped putting as many chips in the bags, but the packaging is undectable so unless you are looking at the exact amount of product, most people would not recognize the change.
    Hubby is a HUGE meat eater, he has to have meat with a meal, and I try to accomodate him since he works so hard but it is getting harder and harder to do.

What is everyone else doing at the grocery store to make your food dollars stretch? I would love to get a top 5 or top 10 list started!

Talea Ranker

<div style="font-family:garamond,new york,times,serif;font-size:14pt;"><div style="font-family: garamond,new york,times,serif;font-size: 14pt;">I'm making more and more things from scratch, and incorporating leftovers into actual meals. Like an extra pork chop becomes part of fried rice the next day. I have cut back on our meat and to be honest I'm buying more canned goods again as they don't go bad as quickly if they aren't eaten.
    ~Tee

----- Original Message ----
    Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 11:23:45 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Price Book...in this economy, why bother?

I had to throw away my price book, I could not keep up with the rising prices. (It was a spiral notebook and I ran out of space to write the new prices) Everytime I went to the store (twice a month, sometimes more) the prices had gone up. It would be useless in my opinion to even attempt a price book at this time with food cost constantly rising. I know I can only get half of what I use to be able to get for the same amount of money here in OK! I found a Sara Lee Bakery where I can get the whole wheat bread for a dollar a loaf, which I believe is because it is right next to their local bakery here in OK and I found at Aldi's I can get a dozen eggs for .99. Thank God we still have one child on WIC or we would have to give up milk or at least cut way down. I gave up my 33 year diet dr. pepper habit after it came to food or dp. We also cut down on cheese since it is now almost $4 a pound for the store brand. We have not bought red
    meat since the last outbreak of bad meat but hubby was really starting to crave it again and I almost passed out in the store when I saw the cost of it! He can continue his cravings!!! It is getting really bad out there!

We are a family of 5 and I can barely keep our food budget under $400 a month. One of our local news stations pointed out the manufactures are also changing their products. I think one of the examples of mayo went from 32oz to 30oz but the price is the same. They stopped putting as many chips in the bags, but the packaging is undectable so unless you are looking at the exact amount of product, most people would not recognize the change.

Hubby is a HUGE meat eater, he has to have meat with a meal, and I try to accomodate him since he works so hard but it is getting harder and harder to do.

What is everyone else doing at the grocery store to make your food dollars stretch? I would love to get a top 5 or top 10 list started!

angies_groups

I know what you mean! Food prices are
    getting scary out there.

Here are the things that help us get
    through:

<![if !supportLists]>1)<font size="1" face="Times New Roman"><span style="font:7.0pt "Times New Roman";"> <![endif]>My top tip is power couponing. I have mentioned it before in this
    forum but it saves us SO much money on groceries that it bears mentioning
    again. I have no intention to sit there and clip coupons so I had to find a way
    to make it work for us. Here’s the article I wrote about the process
    (hopefully the link will post properly):

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/470786/simple_tips_to_becoming_a_power_coupon.html

<![if !supportLists]>2)<font size="1" face="Times New Roman"><span style="font:7.0pt "Times New Roman";"> <![endif]>I make most of my cleaners. Most cleaners get replaced by vinegar
    and water which works better than commercial cleaners in my opinion. There are
    several great resources out there for making your own cleaning supplies.
    <![if !supportLists]>3)<font size="1" face="Times New Roman"><span style="font:7.0pt "Times New Roman";"> <![endif]>I cook in large batches~ not quite once-a-month cooking, but as
    close as I can get. That way I can buy meats and other groceries in bulk when
    they’re on sale and cook them up and freeze them. If I didn’t do
    that, we’d be eating pizza a lot more often.
    <![if !supportLists]>4)<font size="1" face="Times New Roman"><span style="font:7.0pt "Times New Roman";"> <![endif]>I base my meals on what we have on hand instead of grocery shopping
    to make what we want for meals. This means that I’m only ever buying
    groceries on sale. It saves a lot.

Hope that helps!

…angie

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dvictor1@cox.net

Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008
    12:24 PM

Subject: Budget101.com : Price
    Book...in this economy, why bother?

I had to
    throw away my price book, I could not keep up with the rising prices. (It was a
    spiral notebook and I ran out of space to write the new prices) Everytime I
    went to the store (twice a month, sometimes more) the prices had gone up. It
    would be useless in my opinion to even attempt a price book at this time with
    food cost constantly rising. I know I can only get half of what I use to be
    able to get for the same amount of money here in OK! I found a Sara Lee Bakery
    where I can get the whole wheat bread for a dollar a loaf, which I believe is
    because it is right next to their local bakery here in OK and I found at Aldi's
    I can get a dozen eggs for .99. Thank God we still have one child on WIC or we
    would have to give up milk or at least cut way down. I gave up my 33 year diet
    dr. pepper habit after it came to food or dp. We also cut down on cheese since
    it is now almost $4 a pound for the store brand. We have not bought red meat
    since the last outbreak of bad meat but hubby was really starting to crave it
    again and I almost passed out in the store when I saw the cost of it! He can
    continue his cravings!!! It is getting really bad out there!

We are a family of 5 and I can barely keep our food budget under $400 a month.
    One of our local news stations pointed out the manufactures are also changing
    their products. I think one of the examples of mayo went from 32oz to 30oz but
    the price is the same. They stopped putting as many chips in the bags, but the
    packaging is undectable so unless you are looking at the exact amount of
    product, most people would not recognize the change.

Hubby is a HUGE meat eater, he has to have meat with a meal, and I try to
    accomodate him since he works so hard but it is getting harder and harder to
    do.

What is everyone else doing at the grocery store to make your food dollars
    stretch? I would love to get a top 5 or top 10 list started!

Liss

<SPAN class="861582817-25062008">>>What is everyone else doing at the grocery store to make your food dollars stretch? I would love to get a top 5 or top 10 list started!<<
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">First, Great Thread! Thanks for starting this!
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">Ok.. to answer your question, we too are finding it a bit more difficult to stay under $250 a month for everything (and yes, I AM working on a new Ebook for the site).
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">My biggest thing.. still.. is to make ALL of my own Convenience Items. Something that I am doing differently than when I initially wrote my ebook is that I do use coupons. I get a few inserts through Freecycle each week (& also a local recycle center). I've gotten lots of items free, dog & cat food, Toiletries, Dressings, Sauces, etc.
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">Using Coupons, I NEVER pay more than .50 per box for cereal and always keep at least 25 boxes on hand. I've found that is 1 item the kids are always more than happy to grab and munch on. You can make cereal bars (like rice cripsie bars), etc for really cheap snacks. You can make Nutrition bars (like I posted last week), so that you aren't using gallons of milk, which is nearly $5 a gallon here now. (grrrrrrrrrrr)
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">Chips- that is one thing that I do buy on occasion, but never for more than $2.50 for a giant bag. We've switched to a local brand of Tortilla chips that are $2. a bag and I've been making Chow Chow, Fruit salsa's, etc to munch with it.
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">I've gone back to Canning, Canning, Canning. LOL
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">If I find a good deal on something, Like recently I found a deal at walmart for the HUGE bags of Nestle Choc Chips (Semi-sweet) for $3. a bag (normally $5.96 a bag!) and I had coupons from writing to the company, got them for $2. a bag and bought 6. (They're in the freezer.)
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008"> I think the most expensive part for me is that the kids often have all their buddies over and some of the kids are used to eating whatever they want, whenever they want. Feeding the neighborhood is not my bag. lol
    <SPAN class="861582817-25062008">~Liss

Jennifer Kittell

We haven't been feeling it as much because we don't shop at the big box

stores. We get our milk for $5 a gallon, but it cuts out on medical

expenses and other health related expenses. We square foot garden, make our

own cheese, have an herb garden (reducing medical costs), bike almost

everywhere, and have cut back on unnecessary technologies such as extra

phone line, bonus cable channels, as well as water and electrical usage. We

have all our fuel for the winter 'collected' (wood) so this winter won't be

a big hit. We have learned to incorporate such things like soy, squash, and

walnuts into our diet while watching dietary needs. We barter for services

such as a mechanic, plumbing, and building supplies. We also use freecycle

and craigslist often when we need something. We can, freeze, dehydrate, and

buy in bulk from Gordon's Food Service. They will deliver to your house

which is a savings inofitself. This is what we have done to cut down on

costs. Oh, I also don't use my clothes dryer from May until October, and

even past that we hang a lot of things during the winter. Hope this

inspires someone. )

Jennifer

CeCe Sweet

Here’s the things that I have done to make ends meet with this crazy

economy:

1. I’m buying the highest fiber foods that I can so that we feel full. If you

feel full, you won’t eat as much.

2. When you eat high fiber foods you find that you’re mostly eating fruits,

vegetables, whole grains, legumes. Those are cheaper than meat.

3. Eliminate beef, pork, and shellfish from my diet. I only buy poultry and

lamb products and ONLY if they are marked down.

4. No more processed foods unless they are practically giving them away or they

are free with coupons.

CeCe

leigh.drewett@ntlworld.com

I use splash shopper on my blackberry too. I go through once a month and check

the prices are still valid. There is a free trial download and it works with

many cell phones I think.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast