Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Looking for cheap and easy dishes!

I also need as much detail as possible, I'm not exactly a natural and I'm just getting the hang of the kitchen. Right now I'm in college, possibly moving in with my fiance soon so I'm looking for meals to save some money. We eat out way too often and it's really starting to take a bite out of our budget. Anyway, as far as skill level, I'm still a beginner. I like meals that are easy to put together, for example I made chicken alfredo the other night by boiling the noodles in the microwave (Pasta Bowl), adding pre-cut refrigerated chicken after heating it up as well and some Ragu alfredo sauce. It was delicious, lasted the two of us two meals a piece, and so easy a fifth grader could have pulled it off.
    Now I'm looking to expand a little, with baby steps. More important than my cooking skills is saving money and getting nice portion sizes. Sorry if there is already a similar post, I just stumbled upon the site today and am excited to start finding cheap alternatives.

Thanks!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for cheap and easy dishes!

Hello and Welcome to Budget 101, LakinDenae! Good to have you here. Lots of ideas, information and recipes already on this site but more are added all the time. Take a look around, if you have questions, just ask. Enjoy! Also, you might want to introduce yourself in the Welcome Newbies Section of the forum so everyone knows you have joined. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Looking for cheap and easy dishes!

Welcome aboard LakinDenae!

We have all been where you are. great cooks aren't born, we are grown. I learned a lot from watching cooing shows and reading cook books like most people would read a novel. I have about 400 in paper and 600 ebooks. In my opinion, your best bet is to get a crockpot that is about 4-6 quarts. most stuff can be added to the crock pot, forgotten about, and it still turns out great. just remember not to open the crock pot. for every 5 minutes one is open, it takes 30 minutes to bring it back up to temp.

for cheap meals, look around on the forums for feeding a family of 4 or 5. cooking a large meal is the same steps as cooking for 2, just not as much. the forums with cooking for a crowd, like a family of 5, will give you and your boyfriend 2-3 meals and usually save a bunch.

if you have specific questions, please feel free to post them on line. a lot of good knowledge people hang out here.

ann