Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default mistake turned into a great leftover

I made this recipe that I found off of pinterest. I guess pasty meals are big in the UP. I thought I would try it. I have a family of 5, so I doubled the filling.

Ground Beef Pasties
    • 1 lb. ground beef
    • 1 onion, diced
    • 5-6 medium-sized red potatoes, cubed
    • 2 c. diced veggies (I usually use just fresh carrots, but my carrots weren’t fresh as I would have liked this time, so I used 2 cups of frozen mixed veggies instead. It was a great substitution!)
    • 1/2 t. garlic powder
    • 1 t. Italian seasoning
    • Salt and pepper, to taste
    • Homemade pie crust or store-bought (enough for 3 -4 crusts)
    • 1 egg yolk, beaten
    • 1/4 T. butter or margarine
    • 1/4 c. flour
    • 2 c. beef stock, broth or bullion cubes
    • 2 t. Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 t. Italian seasoning

1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion for 5 minutes. Stir in potatoes and fresh veggies, if using. Stir in seasonings. Cook until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. (If using frozen veggies, stir into skillet shortly before removing from heat.) Cool.
    2. Roll out dough into a circle, about the size of a small plate. (If using store bought dough, cut each piece of dough into fourths and roll into a circle.) Place about 1/3 c. beef filling into the center of each dough circle. Fold over, seal and roll edges.
    3. Brush each pasty with beaten egg yolk and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden and pie crust is fully cooked.
    4. While pasties cook, melt butter or margarine in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook 2 minutes. Whisk in beef stock, bring to a slow boil and boil until thickened. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning.
    5. Serve pasties with gravy on the side for dipping or poured on top.

oh boy this really made a lot. it really wasn't that great. I made 4 pastries. I didn't double the pastry recipe. I only used about half the filling, so I froze the rest. I figured I would think of something to do with it.

today I came up with the idea to make a pot pie. I thawed the meat out, made 2 cups of gravy. mixed together. poured into a pie crust that I made and lined my oblong corning ware deep dish pan. added the top crust, baked 45 minutes. everyone ate a huge slice, and i still have left overs. what do you possibly do with left over potpie...

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mistake turned into a great leftover

Yum! That sounds like a delicious pot pie! Pasties are definitely Yooper Food- we used to travel through the UP all the time to get to the Mitten and go pick fresh cherries when they were in season. LOL, your post brings back fond memories of trying them and then thinking wth?? that can't be right....
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: mistake turned into a great leftover

i just have to remember next time don't double the meat. they really don't need to be very big to fill you up. LOL!