Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: homemade pasta

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default homemade pasta

Oh man, I have to be crazy. I made 3 pounds of homemade pasta to and I do not own a pasta roller. I mixed by hand, rolled it out with a rolling pin, and cut it with a knife. what could I be thinking? I know what I am thinking now...glad I am not Italian. I will never do that again. Supper best be the best one EVER!

OK, here is my question. When I was rolling it out, I did it in 4 balls, the first one or two went ok. but by the fourth ball, I couldn't get the dough to stay rolled out. it kept springing back into place and I have some thick pasta. What did I do wrong? I have all of this stuff in the freezer drying. I am making chicken and dumplings tonight. How long will this take to boil?

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: homemade pasta

Quote Originally Posted by bethaliz6894 View Post
    Oh man, I have to be crazy. I made 3 pounds of homemade pasta to and I do not own a pasta roller. I mixed by hand, rolled it out with a rolling pin, and cut it with a knife. what could I be thinking? I know what I am thinking now...glad I am not Italian. I will never do that again. Supper best be the best one EVER!

OK, here is my question. When I was rolling it out, I did it in 4 balls, the first one or two went ok. but by the fourth ball, I couldn't get the dough to stay rolled out. it kept springing back into place and I have some thick pasta. What did I do wrong? I have all of this stuff in the freezer drying. I am making chicken and dumplings tonight. How long will this take to boil?
    It depends- what kind of flour did you use?

It really needs to be rolled through an extractor to get it really thin. It's hard to get it super thin by roller. When you cook the noodles, it will again depend on how thick it is and how you like it. Bring plenty of water (huge pot!) with a dash of salt to a boil and you'll probably need about 5 minutes if it's as thick as my home-rolled was.

As for Drying- you want to leave it hanging Out to dry. You're actually just freezing it which will increase the cooking time. If it's too thick, think LASAGNE!

Also, if you get sick of rolling it out, roll it into "logs" cut them into 1/4" pieces and stick your finger in them to made an indent like "shell" pasta. I used to do this too back in the day when I didn't have an extruder/roller.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

that is a realy good idea on how to make shell pasta. that is the best thing about pasta, It can come in many shapes and no one cares.

I used all purpose flour. is there a special flour I should have used?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

that is a realy good idea on how to make shell pasta. that is the best thing about pasta, It can come in many shapes and no one cares.

I used all purpose flour. is there a special flour I should have used?

Usually for pasta you would use Semolina flour, but it's NOT easy to find and when you do find it, it can be expensive compared to regular flour. I just bought some a few weeks ago at the Christmas tree shop for about $3- which is about double the price of AP flour.

I always add herbs and seasonings to my homemade pastas, so AP flour usually works fine for us.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, I have learned so much from you. I am going to try and find this flour.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you believe this, dh and dd want me to make this again today. WITH the screw ups! OMG! I wanted to die. how am I going to remember what I screwed up? i don't even remember the recipe i used. it was that bad, i didn't keep it.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can you believe this, dh and dd want me to make this again today. WITH the screw ups! OMG! I wanted to die. how am I going to remember what I screwed up? i don't even remember the recipe i used. it was that bad, i didn't keep it.

Ann, try this one, it's one of our favorites and you don't need any toppings (sauce, etc) just a dash of garlic butter. The kids request it all the time.

Budget101.com - - Make Your Own Pizza Pasta | How to Make Pasta | Pasta Recipes
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you Liss, this looks a lot easier than the first time I made it. this is the recipe I am using. I already have the chicken boiling so I that should be done with some good broth. DH is home this afternoon and he is going to help me roll out the dough. that is going to be nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast