Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Anyone Storing food for hard times?

Good for you and your family...stay on top of it and whatever happens in the future...you'll be prepared;-D

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Storing Foods for hard times?

Quote Originally Posted by lala72 View Post
    I started buying extra food and I'm very interested in oven canning dry goods to keep them fresh and bug free. We lifted our bed so now I can store canned goods under there.
    This got my serious attention...sounds like a great idea... But what is it, what are the how to's, and long term effects? Pros....Cons...????

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPaws View Post
    This got my serious attention...sounds like a great idea... But what is it, what are the how to's, and long term effects? Pros....Cons...????
    I got the idea from an article I read. Here's the link. Oven canning preserves dry goods for years. - Free Online Library

Now Liss has an article detailing it. I am only interested in preserving dry goods.When I get more canning jars I'm going to do a small batch and see how it comes out. There's a lot of info out there. I'm just concerned about my family and stretching the food budget. You really have to do what you are comfortable with. I hope this helps.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been storing food for about four years now. Things like wheat, corn, oats, beans, and feeze dried vegies and fruits. I also have powdered butter, tomato, etc. I do use it and rotate it as I go. I also can and freeze stuff. I have hit one rough patch finacially and it was great for those 3 months we were without work. I have a feeling that things are gonna get tight again soon because one of my sons just moved back home. I couldn't imagine not storing food anymore because this economy is so up and down lately. I'm so glad I found this website! I have learned some new recipes and am now getting into making the jar mixes for meals I can take to work... or just for fix it fast when I am too tired to spend an hour cooking when I get home after a 12 hour shift. I can't wait to try making my own laundry soap and glue. Great tips here!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Storing food for hard times?

I have couponing and stockpiling for 6 years. you never know when your doomsday can happen. it could be a divorce, death in the family, a new baby or a loss of a job. not every doomsday 'ends the world as we know it'

currently I am laid off. this made my family lose almost 50% of our income. we have 6 months(guessing) of food and 3 months cash in the bank. I still need a job, but the pressure, right now, isn't to take the first one that comes along. if I didn't have the stockpile, we wouldn't be eating very well.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dry canning sounds AWESOME! Thanks for sharing!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Storing food for hard times?

Thanks for some ideas guys. Right now is a hard time for us since I lost my job which had us lose our insurance, half of my income gone, and my husband is laid off. I'm excited to be home with the kids, but I want to stay home and try not to find a job if I can help it and start doing things around the house like canning and laundry recipes. I'm not used to forums, but it seems that I've been missing out on info. Thanks again for sharing what you all do.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was pro-oven canning, for certain things, like breads, which had worked well for me. Temperature wise for dry goods and killing bugs it should be effective, BUT I found out (and should go find my post here about oven canning and add this)... The issue, aside from botulism issues for low acid foods, is that canning jars are not meant to take dry heat. They can splinter these minute non-detectable pieces of glass that wind up in your food.

I found another cheap solution, and this works for off-the grid use as well. Get a brake bleeder from Harbor Freight (should be under $25). This is a hand pump device. Then invest in the canning jar adapters for Food Saver on Amazon. Last I checked they were $10 to $15 each, then you'll need the tubing (around $8 - going on memory here, though). It take 2-3 pumps to get the vacuum. Easy! And it saves from buying the $200 Food Saver device. If you don't ding your lids when opening they will reseal, as heat was not applied. For extra long storage you can freeze your grains to kill bug eggs and/or heat them in a pan in the oven at 200 for 30 minutes, and even add a dessicator pack, which are floating around online on the prepper sites.
    I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking up something, and finding something else on the way. ~Franklin P. Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast