Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pee stopper???

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy pee stopper???

I am at my wits end!! My dog has recently taken to peeing on the front of the refrigerator, the kitchen garbage pail, and the corner of my Hubs recliner!! UGH!! First cleaner with some bleach, just for disinfectant sake- but when it kept happening I used MORE bleach, hoping to deter him with the strong smell. No such luck. So I started using a seriously strong ammonia mix-Nothing stops him from going back and peeing again, including being banished to the back yard for hours, nose rubbed in it, you name it. HELP!!!

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: pee stopper???

If he's peeing while he's walking (in the house or outside) he more than likely has a urinary tract or bladder infection and needs to see a vet. It's possible that he's marking his territory as well. Particularly if you have other animals in the house.

Punishment will do absolutely nothing but make your dog afraid of you. You have to catch him in the act and shout NO very loudly while he's marking. Then take him immediately outside. You'll have to stay outside with him until he urinates again (which you praise). Do NOT bring him back in until he has gone again.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess I should have been more clear! He is 7 years old, goes in and out the doggie door at his leisure, took to pottie training at 12 weeks like a champ. We did the vet thing 90 days ago just because this was so out of the ordinary for him and got a clean bill of health. It does appear to be "marking" behavior, but why now, absolutely nothing in his pampered little life has changed?

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by princessjanetta View Post
    It does appear to be "marking" behavior, but why now, absolutely nothing in his pampered little life has changed?
    Are you Sure nothing has changed? Have you moved any furniture around lately? Usually it is because of feelings of insecurity or a perceived threat. This perceived threat, for example, can be an introduction of a new baby, a new pet, a visitor or even a new piece of furniture. The smell of other animals on your footwear or clothing can also trigger a dog to feel the need to mark his territory.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been having the same problem with my Dog. my son moved home and all of a sudden he is peeing on the floor next to the garbage.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

When you clean the spot up don't use ammonia, when urine breaks down it becomes ammonia. so the smell will only bother you, not the animal. you could also get a coke can, put a hand full of dried beans in it and tape it shut. when the dog starts to lift his leg, shake or roll the can to him so you can get his attention. I would try the vet again. you may have had him tested before the infection became enough to catch. i had a dog that could not be housebroken to save my soul. i think she was incontinent from the day she was born.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Parker, use Nature's MiracleŽ on the chair upholstery; it actually "eats" the biological material that makes the smell & stain. Use it on all the surfaces that he's marked, because a dog can smell a zillion times better than humans (real scientific, huh?)! I bought the cat version at PetSmart, and it worked great! They make male incontinence wraps for dogs, but you'd have to lock the doggie door... I agree, another trip to the vet is in order, and try keeping him in his crate when you're not in the room with him, sort of "potty-train" him again, especially if the vet doesn't find anything wrong.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

A medical cause is the most common reason for an adult dog to suddenly begin urinating in the house. A medical cause first because many of the conditions that commonly cause inappropriate urination can quickly become serious for your dog, take him to the vet and have him checked out there are many problems that a dog can get ie: diabetes, urinary tract infections,even kidney disease to name a few. Then it could be a emotional problem like someone moving out and giving him an anxiety disorder .. I would have it checked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast