What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile is getting a bread machine really worth it?

What is the typical cost(after purchase) that I would be looking at for ingredients for healthy bread maybe 8 loaves a month?

,thanks!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: is getting a bread machine really worth it?

Are we talking about wheat breads or specialty breads? Thanks; Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

any breads at all, just interested in time involved vs cost etc.

any help is greatly appreciated!!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on a gluten free diet and the store bought breads that I can have are expensive and taste like sawdust. Hubby bought me a breadmaker for Christmas and we LOVE it!!!!!!! He even uses it. I'm THRILLED to be able to have sandwiches again on bread that doesn't taste like sawdust and bread that will hold up to the sandwich and not fall apart.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't really give you a cost breakdown because I've never done one. I do have a bread machine and use it frequently. I buy bulk flour, yeast in large amounts when I have coupons, and try to save on other ingredients as much as I can. Where I live, even a cheap loaf of bread is $1.29. As I live 45 miles from town, the cost of gas ($3.50-$3.70), our little "convenience store" sells the same bread for $2.49. Needless to say, I save a lot by making my own. It also tastes better! My machine makes 2lb loaves. I make several loaves a day, when I bake. I will shut my machine off a few mins early to keep my bread from browning too much, let it cool 5-10 mins, wrap in cling wrap while very warm (but not hot), and freeze. I do this several times a month so I don't ever run out of bread. I make wheat and white. I also make a few sweet breads, the "Outback SteakHouse" bread, etc. I love my machine! Sorry I couldn't give you a cost break down, but to me, it is a cost saver!
    ~Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but how many times our breaths are taken away!~

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used mine a lot when my son was on a VERY low sodium diet. His bread cost over $6 a loaf, so it was a real cost saver at that time. The bread was better and I could shape it as he needed. I use it now occasionally, but really prefer to use the doughhook on my mixer to knead the yeast dough and make it the regular, old fashioned way. It is just a matter of preference. I do a lot of baking, but can't afford the calories of homemade bread too often. LOL

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I recently purchased a bread machine and so far I love it and I do believe it will be a money saver in the long run. You can make so many different kinds of breads and they taste great and are so much healthier without all the preservatives that are in store bought breads. My favorite so far is a french bread recipe that I substitute garlic infused olive oil instead of regular and it is GREAT!