Talea Ranker

Default leftover oatmeal

<div style="font-family:garamond,new york,times,serif;font-size:14pt;"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 255);">I haven't tried any of these yet myself as I just ended up doing a google search for leftover oatmeal as only one of my kids ate breakfast with me this morning leaving me with a big pot of leftovers. I thought I would share here what I found as before it would have just been thrown away and this is after all a budgeting group.
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Add to
    muffin mix, cookie or pancake batter. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Oats add
    moisture, extra nutrition and sweetness. You might need to adjust the liquid
    ingredients a bit. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Cold
    oatmeal also makes great brains. Stick your hand into a bowl sometime.!

12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Also, you
    can make it into patties and fry it in a little butter on a skillet. Then top
    with syrup. Its called Mush. Very scientific term, that <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75"
    coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" oreferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe"
    filled="f" stroked="f">
    <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/>
    <v:formulas>
    <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/>
    <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/>
    <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/>
    <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/>
    <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/>
    <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/>
    <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/>
    <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/>
    <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/>
    <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/>
    <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/>
    <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/>
    </v:formulas>
    <vath o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/>
    <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/>
    </v:shapetype><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_1" o:spid="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75"
    alt="" style='width:11.25pt;height:11.25pt;visibility:vis ible;
    mso-wrap-style:square'>
    <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Talea\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\cl ip_image001.gif"
    o:title=""/>
    </v:shape><![endif]-->[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Talea/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img]

You can do the same with leftover cornmeal or grits too.

12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Believe it
    or not, it warms up really well. Just put it in a microwave safe dish the next
    morning, heat it up, stir in a little milk or water, and feed the kids the
    left-overs. My kids never know the difference. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Alternatively,
    I sometimes warm it up for a mid-morning snack. I toss on some almonds,
    walnuts, raisins, and flax seed for extra flavor and added nutrients. Very
    tasty.

12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">We use the
    instant flavored oatmeal so there is never any left, however after reading some
    of the comments this morning I decided to experiment. I fixed three packets of
    peaches & cream oatmeal. I prepared it like I would for the kids, sugar,
    butter & milk added. I had a little over 3/4 C. oatmeal. To this I added
    the following: 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1 med. egg

2 Tbs flour

1 1/2 C dried bread crumbs (for extra nutritional value use a whole grain
    bread). On the average one slice of bread equals 1/2 C crumbs. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">pre heat
    oven to 350 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">mix all
    ingredients in a bowl and using a spoon place

spoonfulls on a lightly greased (spray canola oil) cookie sheet. Use the spoon
    to shape mixture. I did 1 1/2 x 2 bars. You could make bite size balls for
    eating on the go. Doing the bars I ended up with eight of them with this size
    receipe. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Place in
    over and bake until golden brown, approx. 25 minutes for this size bar. Remove
    from pan and place on cooling rack. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Allow to
    cool fully and store in closed container or zipper bags. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">If using
    plain oatmeal try adding nuts, raisins, your favorite dried fruits, a dash of
    cinnamon or almond extract. Use you imagination. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">You now
    have a healthy snack for your kids (or yourself) and you have not wasted any
    food.

<p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Fried Oatmeal

Put oatmeal in a square freezer box to the depth of about 3 inches. Mash down.
    Freeze.

To use, take out of freezer and let it set on the counter for about 15 to 20
    minutes until it is just firm enough to cut with a sharp knife or electric
    knife. Cut into slices, such as you would with SPAM, about 1/4 inch thick.

Lightly coat with flour. Spray skillet with PAM or equivalent. Lightly brown
    each side of the slice of oatmeal and allow to warm through. Dont walk away.

Serve with pancake syrup and powdered sugar or a spoonful of brown sugar or
    nuts sprinkled over top.

You can also do this with just refrigerating the oatmeal, but the freezer
    method gives nice firm slices. No electricity? In the frozen north, just set
    the oatmeal outside overnight and itll freeze up. This recipe also works with
    leftover cornmeal mush<p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: left;">
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"><p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: left;"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">I add it
    to bread and muffins - the kids never know its in there and it makes it a
    little healthier, or even to pancake batter.
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">I use it
    as a healthy alternative to brownies when Im craving them. No kidding! 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">I use
    plain oatmeal cooked with skim milk. I add about 3 packets of Splenda and 3
    teaspoons Hersheys Cocoa powder. Mix it up. Stick in in the microwave until
    its warm. Sprinkle some walnuts on top, and youve got something chocolate and
    filling.
    <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center">
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">You can
    put it in a smoothy. Use oatmeal, strawberries, soy milk, a banana, vanilla
    extract, and a smoothy. Blend them together well. Delicious with a creamy
    texture.
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">LEFTOVER OATMEAL COOKIES 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";color: black;">2 c. sifted flour

1 tsp. baking powder

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 c. sugar

2/3 c. shortening

2 eggs

1 1/2 c. cooked oatmeal 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";color: rgb(119, 34, 34);">Sift dry ingredients
    together. Add shortening and eggs and beat until creamy (about 2 minutes). Stir
    in oatmeal. Drop from teaspoon onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees
    for 12-15 minutes. Yield: 4 dozen.
    pan-fried oatmeal
    The key to this "recipe" is using leftover oatmeal that still
    retains that leftover flattened slab-ish quality that results from leaving the
    oatmeal in the pot overnight (kept in the fridge, of course). Then, you can
    slice it up, melt up some butter, add the slab to the bubbling butter, flip it
    when it gets golden on both sides and serve. It's really delicious topped with
    yogurt and maple syrup. It takes leftovers to a whole new level of goodness.
    <h3><a href="http://whoppingcornbread.blogspot.com/2008/01/leftover-oatmeal-bread.html">Leftover
    oatmeal bread</a> </h3> 11pt;">1. Have baby.

2. Wait one year.

3. When baby refuses the delicious, nutritious oatmeal you have lovingly
    prepared according to package instructions that he normally loves for, say, two
    days in a row, consider what else you might do with it.
    11pt;">4.
    Be too lazy to get out a recipe book, and say to yourself, I can whip this
    oatmeal into a delicious bread! Like the phoenix from the ashes, it will rise
    again! (Get it? Rise.)

5. Double check random recipe on back of yeast packet to get the hang of
    things, even though it doesn't call for oatmeal in the slightest. Figure you
    are all set.

6. Mix two packets of yeast with some warm water and dissolve yeast. Yeast
    packet says a half cup. Eyeball it.
    11pt;">7.
    Wonder if you should wait a few minutes for the yeast to "activate."
    Remember something about waiting for bubbles to appear on the top, check yeast
    packet recipe, it doesn't say anything about that. Move on.

8. Add leftover oatmeal. Mix.
    11pt;">9.
    Add some melted butter. And some salt. And throw in some milk, because your
    baby's been refusing that too, might as well use it. You know. Till it looks
    right. Mix.
    11pt;">10.
    Oh yes, forgot the honey. What's wheat bread without honey? Dump some in and
    mix
    11pt;">11.
    Add wheat flour and white flour. About 5 cups total, 3 wheat and 2 white.
    11pt;">12.
    Mix together with your hands to form a soft dough.
    11pt;">13.
    Let dough rise for 1.5 hours or so. Make cup of tea. Stare at sleeping baby.
    Check email.
    11pt;">14.
    Knead again, starting with a very satisfying punch.
    11pt;">Feel
    earthy and powerful and like you are on the verge of understanding life because
    you are hand-kneading bread dough.
    11pt;">Reflect
    that it is pretty good to be baking bread on a cold gray Northwest afternoon.
    11pt;">15.
    Wonder whether you have made enough for two loaves or one. Shrug. Decide to go
    with one big one. Shape dough and put in bread pan. Let rise again for another
    hour or so. 11pt;">Let
    baby play with flour with his best friend <a href="http://whoppingcornbread.blogspot.com/2008/01/spoon-update.html">the
    spoon</a>:
    11pt;">16.
    Go on walk with baby. Forget about rising bread dough. Let bread rise for two
    hours instead of one. Check in turned off oven where it has been rising. 11pt;">Fret
    that you have ruined it.
    11pt;">17.
    Bake it anyway. 400 degrees, 30 minutes. Smell the yum yum yum. Fantasize that
    Martha Stewart has just popped by unannounced and you say, oh hello, I'm just baking
    bread
    . Want some tea?
    11pt;">18.
    Let it cool for a few minutes. As few as you can stand. Cut. Realize it came
    out just fine.
    11pt;">19.
    Eat warm. Realize it totally came out just fine.
    11pt;">20.
    Share with baby. Rejoice that he does not refuse oatmeal or milk in this form

12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Carries Peanut Buttery Chocolate
    Oatmeal Bars
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Preheat the oven to 350.<ul type="disc"><li class="MsoNormal"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1 cup leftover cooked oatmeal<li class="MsoNormal"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1 cup all natural peanut butter<li class="MsoNormal"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1 egg<li class="MsoNormal"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1/3 cup sugar<li class="MsoNormal"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1/2 to 1 cup chocolate chips<li class="MsoNormal"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">1/2 cup walnuts or peanuts[/list]12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Mix all ingredients well, then
    spread into a greased pan. I think these cooked for about 20 minutes. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">We cut them into bars and they were
    quite good as an afternoon snack. If you like you could get adventurous and
    melt some chocolate to spread on top. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Enjoy!<p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"> 24pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";color: rgb(86, 44, 44);">Fried Oatmeal 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"><hr align="center" size="4" width="90%"> <p class="MsoNormal" style="text-align: center;" align="center"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Recipe
    by By Kristi Gross
    12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Leftover oatmeal? Try this, or when next
    you make oatmeal for breakfast make plenty of extra. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"><hr align="center" size="2" width="50%"> 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">I put my oatmeal in a square freezer
    box to the depth of about 3 inches. Mash down. Freeze. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">To use, take out of freezer and let
    it set on the counter for about 15 to 20 minutes until it is just firm enough
    to cut with a sharp knife or electric knife. Cut into slices, such as you would
    with SPAM, about 1/4 inch thick. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Lightly coat with flour. Spray
    skillet with PAM or equivalent. Lightly brown each side of the slice of oatmeal
    and allow to warm through. Don't walk away. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">Serve with pancake syrup and
    powdered sugar or a spoonful of brown sugar or nuts sprinkled over top. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";">You can also do this with just
    refrigerating the oatmeal, but the freezer method gives nice firm slices. No
    electricity? In the frozen north, just set the oatmeal outside overnight and
    it'll freeze up. This recipe also works with leftover cornmeal mush. 12pt;font-family: "Times New Roman","serif";"><hr align="center" size="2" width="50%">

Leftover Oatmeal Cake

Cream together

1/2 cup shortening cup shortening

1 cup brown sugar cup brown sugar

1 cup white sugar cup white sugar

2 eggs 1 egg

1 tsp of vanilla tsp. vanilla

2 cups cooked oatmeal. 1 cup cooked oatmeal

Sift together

1 1/2 cups flour cup flour

1 tsp. baking soda tsp. Baking soda

1 tsp. baking powder tsp. Baking powder

1/2 tsp. Salt tsp. Salt

1 tsp. of cinnamon. tsp. cinnamon

Add to creamed mixture and beat well. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13 cake
    pan (or 8x8 for half-recipe). Bake 35 minutes (or less for recipe) or until
    tests done.

For a great topping combine 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup margarine, 1/4 cup
    cream or milk, 1/2 cup chopped nuts and 1 cup coconut. Spread on hot cake and
    broil 2 - 4 minutes until brown. Watch closely. This is yummy! It is very rich
    and moist so serve in small pieces.

I personally have not tried the topping on it, but have put cream cheese
    frosting on it before.

<h2><a href="http://thewelltrainedkitchen.wordpress.com/2006/11/09/leftover-oatmeal-muffins-posted-by-mom2abcd/" title="Permanent Link: Leftover Oatmeal Muffins ~ posted bymom2abcd">Leftover
    Oatmeal Muffins ~ posted bymom2abcd</a></h2>

Whisk together in a bowl:

1 c. whole wheat flour

1/2-1 c. Sucanat (or honey or brown sugar)

1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Mix together in another bowl:

1/2 cup oil

2 eggs

1 c. leftover cooked oatmeal

1/2 c. raisins (optional)

1 tsp. vanilla

Combine two bowls until just moistened. Fill 2/3s full in a greased muffin
    tin for 18 minutes at 350 degrees. You can double this recipe.

I got this from the Laines Letters Newsletter several years ago.

If you end up making more oatmeal
    than you can eat, a great thing to do is add it to bread dough. It adds
    moisture, heartiness and great taste and texture. Because I often add a bit of
    vanilla and molasses to my oatmeal, I find that it lends a bit of extra
    sweetness to the final bread. Sometimes I boost this with a bit extra molasses
    or honey in the dough.

Sourdough has a long first rise to let the sour flavor develop. I wouldn't
    recommend using olive oil in this bread, as a milder vegetable oil will let the
    flavor of the bread come through. This makes a great sandwich bread.

Oatmeal Sourdough

1 cup sourdough starter

1 cup <a href="http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2005/07/sunday-brunch-steel-cut-oats.html">cooked
    oatmeal </a>(steel cut)

1 cups water, warm

2 tbsp molasses or honey

1 tbsp salt

1 tbsp oil

3.5 - 4 cups bread flour

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add in the flour gradually until the
    dough comes together into a ball. Turn out dough onto a floured surface, adding
    extra flour if necessary, and knead until dough is smooth and somewhat firm.
    Place into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise at least 4
    hours or overnight.

After the first rise, turn dough out onto a floured surface. Gently deflate it
    and shape it into a round loaf. Transfer loaf to a parchment lined baking sheet
    and let rise, covered with a clean dish towel, for 1-1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven
    to 425F.

Slash dough two or three times with a sharp knife. Bake at 425F for 40 minutes.
    The bottom of the loaf will sound hollow when tapped when the bread is done.

Allow bread to cool on a wire rack and come to room temperature before slicing.

Nic, 8:16 AM

Leftover Oatmeal Pancakes

Combine in a large bowl: 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 4 teaspoons
    baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside. In antoher bowl,
    beat together: 2 eggs, 1 cup leftover oatmeal, 2 cups milk and 1/2 cup
    oil. Combine the two mixtures and blend until smooth. Cook in
    traditional pancake manner.

You can add anything you want to these - bananas, chocoalte chips, nuts,
    chopped apples, raisins, yadda yadda. I usually just make a bowl of
    oatmeal in the microwave before I start these. They are REALLY good if
    you use the Irish oatmeal - the old fashioned stuff that cooks for 30
    minutes.

Enjoy!

11pt;">

11pt;">
    11pt;">

11pt;">

11pt;">

11pt;">

11pt;">

Stephanie Dark

Default leftover oatmeal

My husband adds some cooked oatmeal to some of his smoothies.

We have a bread machine cookbook that uses cooked oatmeal in some of

the bread recipes.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Stephanie