Downloads
    Uploads

Default Saving on Heating Bills

My husband heard a program on something called radiant barrier. I have read a bit about it on line. But, is supposed to be more widely used in the South where summers are hotter. But, is supposed to cut down on the amount of electricity used in cooling your house. Think there is supposed to be a smaller savings on the natural gas used to heat your homes in the winter. think they said an average priced home would cost about a thousand to have this installed. We are also thinking of getting a programmable thermostat to install on our furnace. This summer we kept our AC set about 80-85 most of the time. And, our bills ran a little over $200.00 each month.

Last winter we did put plastic over all of our windows on the inside and our bills were usually $200.00 plus. But, they are saying we might see our bills increasing by 70% this winter. We kept our thermostat about 70-72 during the day and turned down to 55-60 at night. But, we did seem to be a bit more comfortable than we had the winter before. That may have been because of the plastic over the windows. But, I don't think our winter was quite as cold as the previous years was.

We are also thinking of getting something you install on the inside of your wall sockets at are on outside walls.

Does anyone have any experience will radiant barrier systems or programmable thermostats. It just bugs me to pay so much to keep warm or cool.

Nadine

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm in Houston and we have a radiant barrier on our house. I think it
    does help keep the house cool. When dh re-decked the roof in the garage
    he used Tech-Shield which is plywood with a radiant barrier. There were
    times I'd go in the garage and It'd be cooler out there than in the
    house where we had the A/C on. We added a second story to our house and
    used Tech-Shield when the roof was re-decked as well.

Home Depot sells a radiant barrier you can install yourself. It is a
    foil like product that you staple to your roof rafters. We had that
    before we got Tech Shield.

Carol