• Money Matters
  • Recipes
  • Tips-n-Tricks
  • Contact Us
      Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Default My favorite time of year - Seed and Plant Catalogs are here - SOmething to dream on!

I received my first Burpee email at the beginning of the year - they gave me an extra $10 to spend if I met the minimum order. I think I spent my money 5-or 6 times before I settled on my choices. Now more catalogs are coming and my garden is beginning to take shape in my mind.

I can't wait for March to start my seeds and watch for the first tentative green leaves as the break through the soil.

What are your dreams and goals for this year's garden. How is your weather where you live and when is the danger of a hard frost past? When can you begin starting your seeds?

I have one foot in heaven when I am in my garden. Jane Rodgers (Merced, CA)

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Default Re: My favorite time of year - Seed and Plant Catalogs are here - SOmething to dream

Quote Originally Posted by jrodgers View Post
      I received my first Burpee email at the beginning of the year - they gave me an extra $10 to spend if I met the minimum order. I think I spent my money 5-or 6 times before I settled on my choices. Now more catalogs are coming and my garden is beginning to take shape in my mind.
      I know exactly what you mean! It's amazing how many times you look at something and dogear the page and then go back and forth trying to figure out which ones to get. I love bulbs because they double so quickly and it's like having "free" flowers. I found some bulbs on sale the other day for $1.

What are your dreams and goals for this year's garden. How is your weather where you live and when is the danger of a hard frost past? When can you begin starting your seeds?
      We're going smaller this year, I don't want to install additional fencing and we really need to plant a rotation crop so the soil can be replenished. I just discovered that I can actually start Sweet Peas NOW, it's funny how when you grow up in one area of the world and then move 1,000 miles from there just How Long it takes before you get used to the new area. I'm still trying to figure out when to plant my squashes, by mid june, everything is so hot it just burns up. Last year we had an unintentional garden out behind the chicken coop.

I really like to landscape with different/odd plants. We have a dragon arum (aka voodoo lily), it's one of my favorites!
      I haven't had a chance to order anything this year, but I'm looking forward to hitting the farmers market/flea market this weekend for a few new plants.
      ~Liss~
      Creator & Designer of
      www.Budget101.com
      www.GroceryBudget101.com
      Budget101 Forums
      KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
      Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Deal GURU
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

Default Re: My favorite time of year - Seed and Plant Catalogs are here - SOmething to dream

I know what you mean about moving from one end of the country to the other. I moved from Virginia to California a little over 30 years ago and I still have trouble figuring when to plant. I finally decided that a greenhouse was better than all of the guesswork. We didn't get it installed this year - I've been in KY caring for my father - but next year it will be installed for sure. Then I don't have to worry about the frost dates and windy days that cause so much damage to young plants.