Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I once made violet wine...

I found this site thru pinterest, glad I did. Yes, I did once make wine from violets, you would not believe how long it takes to pick 2 quart jars packed with violets, even when you have a pasture that's purple with them. I followed an old recipe for cowslip wine (another flower-based wine) and it worked very well. The result was an amazing amethyst-colored wine that was really, really, really divine. It's worth the trouble, because no one else will have anything like it, and it's a true fantasy beverage brought to life. It's like something a Hobbit or Elf would drink...

I really like foraging for wild food, especially mushrooms and berries. This year I picked a lot of autumn olives (fruit of an invasive bush that tastes a lot like pomegranate), processed out the seeds and added the pulp to homemade chunky applesauce. I canned a bunch of this, along with loads of other homegrown/foraged fruit. I rarely bother canning tomatoes because they are not that expensive to purchase canned as compared to fruit, but that's just me. Hope to tap some maple trees again this year now that we have a woodstove in the garage to process the sap on - I boiled down sap on the wood stove in the house more than once and this is not a good idea unless you're into jungle-like humidity. Look forward to learning some interesting stuff here!

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: I once made violet wine...

Hi Goatgirl ~ Sounds like you really enjoy foraging, kinda hard to do where I live (Minneapolis MN). I think it would be fun to learn more about this, might be a fun activity at our family cabin. Glad you joined, any questions, just ask.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello and Welcome to Budget 101, Goatgirl! Good to have you here. Lots of ideas and information on this site to enjoy. Would you mind posting your wine recipe? It is always nice to have lots of recipes for various kinds of stuff. Thanks; Virginia

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

hi coatgirl, love your piece about having made violet wine....and how you describe it. if you ever decide to make it again
    i would love to have some. not sure just how we'll manage that...but if there is a will, there is a way...right?
    thanks...

bina