What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default My update on MYO liquid laundry detergent

Back around Aug/Sept, 2012, I decided to go even more frugle that I already had been, so, I decided to try out the MYO liquid laundry detergent. I was delighted on how much money this was going to save me, making GALLONS for 1/2 the price it costs for a smaller bottle of the major brand detergent.
    To start off, we have a Samsung front loading HE washer. I am a retired/disabled construction worker, my wife is a CNA, much of my clothes fairly old and worn(especially my old 15-20+ year old Camel T-shirts) so I really couldn't go by them, my wife, washes her clothes in the major brand detergent, so, only thing I could go by was our bath towels and wash clothes, which one set is white, the other light blue. After approx. 5 months, I asked my wife if she would get me a towel out of the dryer, so I could take a shower, thats when I really noticed just how dirty and dingy they have become, even after adding an oxy booster to each load, they still become dirty and dingy.
    So in the long run, I really don't think it is all that frugle making your own liquid laundry detergent

The recipe I went by was: Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe #1 on this sight. I'm sorry to say for long term use, it does not work, occasional use would probably be great. Would help to take the edge off the over inflated prices of the main brand detergents
    If Lincoln ain't screamin', you ain't pinchin' hard enough!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My update on MYO liquid laundry detergent

Unfortunately, I found the same thing for the batch that I made. I too was excited to think about all the savings that find their way into my pocket! I can only surmise that my batch did not set up correctly as I read so many wonderful things about homemade laundry detergents. Oh well.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have learned whether using homemade detergent or not, putting one cup of vinegar in your rinse cycle (put it in the fabric softener slot) keeps build-up down in your washing machine, and leaves clothes cleaner and softer. Also, Homemade liquid versions of laundry detergents WILL lose power over time, so I would make smaller batches. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

i found the homemade stuff wasn't as good either until i added a tad more to help over come the 'brick hard' hard water. this water is so bad it can give you a black eye. i use 1/2 cup of liquid to a 15 pound load of clothes. never had a problem after that.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

considering that from November of last year until the end of March this year, I had well over 100 coupons for FREE Arm & Hammer Laundry soap, I haven't bothered to make my own or pay out of pocket... I have stocked up my house (for the next 5 years or so), plus my Dad's house (for the rest of his life, I am sure), and a few friends and other relatives...

It's better to look for coupons for free soap or discount coupons and then watch the sales!
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

wow, how did you get so many coupons for free arm and hammer? I am so jealous of you.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CulArtStudent View Post
    considering that from November of last year until the end of March this year, I had well over 100 coupons for FREE Arm & Hammer Laundry soap, I haven't bothered to make my own or pay out of pocket... I have stocked up my house (for the next 5 years or so), plus my Dad's house (for the rest of his life, I am sure), and a few friends and other relatives...

It's better to look for coupons for free soap or discount coupons and then watch the sales!
    Wow...
    How did you amass that many coupons on the same product...and FREE to boot...