Article: Starting Seeds in February

Inexpensive ways to start your garden, learn how to sprout seedlings for a low-cost vegetable garden Read More: Article: Starting Seeds in February

article, february, garden, seeds, starting, low-cost, read, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=3992-starting-seeds-in-february, vegetable, ways, inexpensive, start, sprout, learn, seedlings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Starting Seeds in February

Inexpensive ways to start your garden, learn how to sprout seedlings for a low-cost vegetable garden

Read More: Article: Starting Seeds in February

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

what a great idea, i'm gonna start saving those eggshells and try this... thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Getting a spring in my step too, any recommendations for good starting soil? Most of the time my seedlings die before I can get them outside. (they get moldy, no matter how dry I try to keep them)

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just use whatever is on sale. Anything from MiracleGrow to peat pots. I'm too lazy to do it but you can even bake some dirt from the garden in the oven to kill off weeds and such. Between an osculating fan and only watering when they get a little droopy I haven't run into serious mold issues. By watering I mean squirting with mist.

I have read that 9 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide clears up mold very effectively. Anyone tried that?

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

great idea on egg carton. I should have several ready to use for sprouting seeds by late February and the months ahead. Thanks!!

Today is a new beginning, another day to give thanks and praise.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Article: Starting Seeds in February

Quote Originally Posted by HerbLady View Post
    I just use whatever is on sale. Anything from MiracleGrow to peat pots. I'm too lazy to do it but you can even bake some dirt from the garden in the oven to kill off weeds and such. Between an osculating fan and only watering when they get a little droopy I haven't run into serious mold issues. By watering I mean squirting with mist.

I have read that 9 parts water to 1 part hydrogen peroxide clears up mold very effectively. Anyone tried that?
    Nope, but I'm willing to try the experiment. I think I read something here too about chamomile tea working too.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never thought of egg cartons or knew about the peroxide. i do have problems with mold. Thanks for the tip.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

You need to be careful about purchasing your dirt, I was planting my flowers on the deck and bought the first stuff that was on sale. It wasn't until I was filling the pots that I noticed that it said on the bag "Not for consumable plants, vegetables and fruits, etc",! I was putting the dirt in flower pots, but sometimes if a pot gets broken or whatever, I empty the dirt into the garden! I have no idea if I've used this dirt before for starting seeds, etc. I am MUCH BETTER at reading the packages now.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kaecha For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast