Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 12
  1. #1
    What's a Budget?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Question Ingredients not found in South Africa

    I have been going through the recipes and there are quite a few ingredients that I've never come across before. I think there are just a lot of things that aren't available in South Africa:

    • Dry minced onion - I've only ever seen powder and flakes. Will these work just as well?
    • Instant flour - is this the same as self-raising flour?
    • Instant rice? I'm so jealous!


    Battery dying so I'll post this as is but will add to the list above shortly.

  2. #2
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Join Date
    Jan 1995
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    3,113
    Blog Entries
    179
    Downloads
    47
    Uploads
    226

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by gillespieZA View Post
    I have been going through the recipes and there are quite a few ingredients that I've never come across before. I think there are just a lot of things that aren't available in South Africa:


    • Dry minced onion - I've only ever seen powder and flakes. Will these work just as well?
    • Instant flour - is this the same as self-raising flour?
    • Instant rice? I'm so jealous!



    Battery dying so I'll post this as is but will add to the list above shortly.
    Dry Minced onion = Dry Onion Flakes- that's what it looks like, sometimes a little finer, depends on the brand or whether you make your own.

    Instant Flour- no, this isn't the same as self rising flour (which contains leavening agents). Instant flour is a type of flour that dissolves very quickly in either hot Or cold water and is wonderful for Lump free sauces, gravies, stews, etc. You Can you regular all purpose flour in place of instant flour if you'd like, it just doesn't dissolve as nicely.

    Instant Rice- not worth the hype, except for use in Mug Mixes. It's rice that's been parboiled and precooked and then dehydrated again so that it cooks in under 5 minutes. It really doesn't have much nutritional value, but it's good in a pinch.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

    *Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

    **The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

  3. #3
    Deal GURU
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,521
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Instant flour is also known as granular flour. As Liss said it is used for lump free sauces but, it is also used in baking.
    You can just use all purpose flour as a substitute for Instant flour, however, instant flour is a low- Protein flour so (for baking) it would be closer to substitute cake or pastry flour than all purpose. Tip: In a recipe calling for Instant Flour you will need to add 2 level Tablespoons of regular flour per cup called for in a recipe. Alternately, if using Instant flour in a recipe calling for regular flour you need to subtract 2 level Tablespoons per cup of flour called for.

    For gravies and sauces I have used this substitute for Instant Flour:

    1 cup all purpose Flour
    1/2 teaspoon Corn Starch

    Whisk the ingredients together well and then sift 3 times to aerate the mixture. If you do not have a sifter, use a sieve to do the same thing. You can make this ahead and store in a air tight container for use as needed. Makes equivalent of 1 cup.

    If you were to use this recipe in place of instant flour in a baking recipe you would need to subtract 3 tablespoons per cup of the mix to get an equal weight measure to instant flour.

    Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

  4. #4
    What's a Budget?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Thanks, Liss and Virginia!

    What about this Dawn liquid dish soap that seems to be a staple ingredient in many of the home laundry and other detergent recipes? We don't have that brand and I'm wondering what makes Dawn so special (and whether I can substitute a local brand).

  5. #5
    What's a Budget?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by gillespieZA View Post
    What about this Dawn liquid dish soap that seems to be a staple ingredient in many of the home laundry and other detergent recipes? We don't have that brand and I'm wondering what makes Dawn so special (and whether I can substitute a local brand).
    I meant to also say the "best"/most popular dish soap here is Sunlight Lemon Liquid dish soap - a Unilever/Lever Brothers product which I believe is available worldwide.... Ingredients are SDS, SLS, anionic surfactants, etc

  6. #6
    Deal Goddess
    Join Date
    Jan 1995
    Location
    in front of the puter
    Posts
    73,226
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    29
    Uploads
    15

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by gillespieZA View Post
    Thanks, Liss and Virginia!

    What about this Dawn liquid dish soap that seems to be a staple ingredient in many of the home laundry and other detergent recipes? We don't have that brand and I'm wondering what makes Dawn so special (and whether I can substitute a local brand).

    Hmm.. that's a tough one, there really isn't a known substitute for dawn. It's used to clean wildlife during oil spills, used in multiple recipes and I've yet to find anything at all that works nearly as well.

    Maybe you could get it on Amazon?

    Amazon Link for Dawn

  7. #7
    What's a Budget?
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by FreebieQueen View Post
    Maybe you could get it on Amazon?

    Amazon Link for Dawn
    With shipping and the exchange rate, that would cost almost a week's worth of groceries.... Is it good enough to justify that?

    Well, I suppose the only way is to try my local brand (Sunlight Liquid) and see if it works out I'll post a new thread with yay or nay

  8. #8
    Deal Goddess
    Join Date
    Jan 1995
    Location
    in front of the puter
    Posts
    73,226
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    29
    Uploads
    15

    Default Re: Ingredients not found in South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by gillespieZA View Post
    With shipping and the exchange rate, that would cost almost a week's worth of groceries.... Is it good enough to justify that?
    Um.. NO lol.

    Well, I suppose the only way is to try my local brand (Sunlight Liquid) and see if it works out I'll post a new thread with yay or nay
    That sounds like a good plan. Who knows, you might have discovered the best cleaner in the world <G> . . . .
    ~Enjoy!~

    FreebieQueen

    Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101



 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hi from South Africa
    By gillespieZA in forum Welcome Newbie!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 06:50 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 08:40 AM
  3. Free App iPhone/iTouch - The South Africa 2010 Tracker
    By FreebieQueen in forum Freebies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM
  4. Sunny South Africa
    By Protea in forum Welcome Newbie!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 11:20 PM
  5. what to do with these ingredients
    By katjane in forum Dirt Cheap Dinners
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-16-2009, 02:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •