Thread: Smaller Cows

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Smaller Cows

My husband and I are considering getting a Dexter cow. They are small, friendly, and I have read they can be used as a triple purpose animal(milk/meat/plow). I don't want an animal with high milk production simply because handling 6 gallons or more of milk every day would become a real drag. Dexters seem to produce 2-2.5 a day. Does anyone have experience with this breed? Costs, etc.

I would go with a goat but personally I just can't drink that milk. I had a Nubian who was quite the pet. Hard to drink the milk when you think of goats as big silly dogs. Well, that and even if the milk is cooled quickly it still has goat flavor. Blick!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Smaller Cows

Never had goat milk. I've had goat cheese, though. Not too bad. It has a bit of a wild funk flavor, so I guess thats what you mean by the milk, too. I've never thought about owning a cow... I live in an apartment complex. I don't think they would allow that as a qualifiable pet. But, best of luck with it.

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lmitchell View Post
    Never had goat milk. I've had goat cheese, though. Not too bad. It has a bit of a wild funk flavor, so I guess thats what you mean by the milk, too. I've never thought about owning a cow... I live in an apartment complex. I don't think they would allow that as a qualifiable pet. But, best of luck with it.
    I am still laughing I also live in an apartment and in a suburb, so no cows or chickens for me. However, I would love to own a few. We plan to move up north in about 7 years, hopefully then. I would also like to hear about this breed.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HerbLady View Post
    My husband and I are considering getting a Dexter cow. They are small, friendly, and I have read they can be used as a triple purpose animal(milk/meat/plow). I don't want an animal with high milk production simply because handling 6 gallons or more of milk every day would become a real drag. Dexters seem to produce 2-2.5 a day. Does anyone have experience with this breed? Costs, etc.

I would go with a goat but personally I just can't drink that milk. I had a Nubian who was quite the pet. Hard to drink the milk when you think of goats as big silly dogs. Well, that and even if the milk is cooled quickly it still has goat flavor. Blick!
    I've never heard of a "dexter" cow before but I think that's a really neat idea and if you can afford her and have the space you should go for it! Is it a breed that is readily available in your area or would you have to spend extra money to have one brought in?

I found this article, it might help:
    Ideal Small Farm Cows: Dexter Cattle
    (`v)
    `..
    ..) .)
    (. (. (.`Kimmie

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the idea of a Dexter cow. I've considered them before. I keep goats and I find that what they eat and if they hang out near the buck makes the milk taste funny. My milk goats produced milk that had no off tang unless they were around the buck or ate wild garlic or the like.