Tracy Feuer

Default One more frugal recipe, cake recipe from 1950s

My favorite cookbook is one from 1954 it was the year hubby was born and the cook book is the Betty Crocker cooking for two. I love this cookbook because in those day cooks weren't using a lot of convience foods and this cookbook is really geared for the new bride with some really basic recipes. I had the same cookbook from 1964 and it was full of convience foods and I thought wow what a difference 10 years made. I ended up getting rid of the 1964 book it was useless. But that 1954 gets used almost every week.

Here is one recipe that I use that is actually a recipe it came from the 1954 book and makes an 8x 8 inch cake which is just right for our family of three. It is just as easy as a cake mix. But a cake mix makes so much cake that is would be in my house for a week and we would be eating huge pieces just to get rid of it. When I make this cake I cut it into nine pieces and our family of three gets dessert for three days out of it. But even if you had a family of nine this cake would serve you desert for one evening. A conventional cake mix makes double this amount or about 18 servings.

Dinette Cake

1 1/2 cups of sifted all purpose flour

1 cup of sugar

2 tsp of baking powder

1/2 tsp of salt

1/3 cup of oil

2/3 cup of milk

1 tsp of flavoring

1 egg

I just mix all of the ingredients pour in the 8 x8 pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 min.

Back when I could get self rising flour for the same price as all purpose I just used self rising and omitted the salt and baking powder. Now that I can get all purpose flour at Aldis for 99 cent I add my own leavening. Because the cheapest self rising in my area is 1.72 for five pounds.

Anyway I buy a can of frosting and keep it in the fridge to frost this cake. I can get about four cakes from the one can of frosting.

I always use vanilla flavoring because that is what I have on hand. But I think the possibilites for this cake are as endless as the number of flavorings available at the local store.

I haven't tried adding cocoa powder to make chocalate if someone does let me know about how much you used and how it turned out.

Tracy

<hr>More immediate than e-mail? Get instant access with Windows Live Messenger.

sharon smith-scott

Please tell me, anyone, How can we come together and bring the price of gas down? I am spending about 25% of my check just getting to work. This is going beyond absurd!!!
    <hr>Pack up or back up–use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn how.

Lucy Anderson

The only way I can think of is to stopping buying the stuff. As long as we pay the prices, they will keep charging them....

We are fortunate enough to be able to take the bus to work and I am walking everywhere else I can think of. However, there are still things that need driving. I wish I knew!!! $3.44 a gallon cash price at our A&P. Hideous.

You want funny? We were watching a movie that isn&#39;t that old - (2004) and saw the gas price go by and yelled - "Hey - Gas was only $1.75/gallon."

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 9:01 PM, sharon smith-scott <shsscott@msn.com> wrote:

Please tell me, anyone, How can we come together and bring the price of gas down? I am spending about 25% of my check just getting to work. This is going beyond absurd!!!
    <hr>Pack up or back up–use SkyDrive to transfer files or keep extra copies. Learn how.

[/quote]

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: One more frugal recipe, cake recipe from 1950s

Thanks for this post. I have been baking the 1-2-3-4 cake but this sounds perfect.