still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sara's Suppers - week of 13 Jan.

Time for some more accountability! I'm working toward more organization/regularity around meal planning, so...

As mentioned before, I often come up with potential meals without assigning days; this balance of planning vs. spontaneity tends to work for us. This week - first half, anyway - is a little more planned, though.

Sunday was: lentil/brown rice soft tacos (with Greek yogurt, cheese, choice of home-canned salse, fresh guac, black olives, shredded lettuce)
    Monday: Not sure; DH may be out of town overnight. In the case, I might cook up some sausage rolls from the freezer and serve with fresh veg & dip for the boys and I; otherwise, maybe meatball sandwiches with same.
    Tuesday: mushroom pork chops, Parmesan butternut squash gratin, green beans? L/O homemade stuffing
    Weds: split pea soup w/ ham, cornbread

After that...not sure! Possibly L/O smorgasbord one night; maybe HM pizza night. Lentil stew is a dish that's made my 'potential meal' lisst several times this fall/winter that we haven't had yet. I always make lots of the lentil/rice taco filling - it's simple but takes about 45 minutes on the stove - and it's versatile; we use it for tacos, nachos, stuffed peppers, on it's own with cheese melted on top (and a salad beside)...haven't tried it as a enchilada/enchilasagna filling yet!

Lunch options: curried chickpeas and spinach, grilled cheese, soups if I get them made (ginger carrot, broccoli, maybe squash),quesadillas...

Breakfasts: probably oatmeal or eggs

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sara's Suppers - week of 13 Jan.

Quote Originally Posted by SaraCate View Post
    Time for some more accountability! I'm working toward more organization/regularity around meal planning, so...

As mentioned before, I often come up with potential meals without assigning days; this balance of planning vs. spontaneity tends to work for us
    That's usually what happens with our meals, I list the menu for the week, which keeps the kids from eating the items necessary to make the actual meal but we sometimes bump them around a little bit to work with our hectic schedules. Between running them to sports, their jobs, our jobs, various weather issues that can arise, etc- it just works out best for us.

Breakfast is the one meal that's most up in the air because some mornings they want to eat, some mornings they want coffee, some mornings they choose to grab a piece of fruit or a couple hard boiled eggs to eat at the bus stop.

Lentil stew is a dish that's made my 'potential meal' lisst several times this fall/winter that we haven't had yet. I always make lots of the lentil/rice taco filling - it's simple but takes about 45 minutes on the stove - and it's versatile; we use it for tacos, nachos, stuffed peppers, on it's own with cheese melted on top (and a salad beside)...haven't tried it as a enchilada/enchilasagna filling yet!
    I do this sometimes with brown rice or lentils too, cook them ahead of time so they can be added to various dishes. It makes it so much easier later in the week.

Btw, the Parmesan butternut squash gratin sounds absolutely delicious!!

Liss

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds really good! I find planning meals keeps our evenings peaceful.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sara is there a way I could have your lentil and rice recipe? Sounds so great and so versatile and cheap and not to mention healthy..LOL Is that enough reasons for you to give it to me ? LOL ..Thanks Sara...