Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Kari Carlisle

Default Traveling without credit cards

I don't travel much, but on occassion I have to travel for my job. I

don't need to fly, but I do need to stay in a hotel once in a while.

If I use my debit card, the hotel says they will hold several hundred

dollars in my bank account. This could be for days or even weeks, and

I just don't have those kinds of resources. Even if my employer

handles the reservation and payment, the hotel still wants a credit

card for incidentals and will hold the money. Is there any way around

this? I'm sure if I ever have to fly or rent a car, this could be a

real problem.

Kari

Toni Dupont

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
    <font face="Tempus Sans ITC">I completely understand what you mean. A
    couple years ago, I was part of a statewide student board and we met
    every month. While the organization took care of travel expenses, we
    still had to pay a deposit for incidentals. I didn't have a credit
    card, didn't want one. For most of the hotels, I could ask to have the
    incidentals "turned off" so it was impossible for me to use them
    (phone, internet, movies). But some hotels wanted that deposit, so I
    would give them cash, usually about $40. They would then give me a
    receipt, and I would get the cash back when I checked out. The only
    downside to the cash deposit was I couldn't use the express check-out;
    I had to go down to the desk in order to get my money refunded.

Just my experience... maybe it will help you

Toni

Kari Carlisle wrote:
    <blockquote cite="mid:ftqlg0+6s3b@eGroups.com" type="cite">
    <pre wrap>I don't travel much, but on occassion I have to travel for my job. I don't need to fly, but I do need to stay in a hotel once in a while. If I use my debit card, the hotel says they will hold several hundred dollars in my bank account. This could be for days or even weeks, and I just don't have those kinds of resources. Even if my employer handles the reservation and payment, the hotel still wants a credit card for incidentals and will hold the money. Is there any way around this? I'm sure if I ever have to fly or rent a car, this could be a real problem.
    Kari
    ------------------------------------
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*Free Money Play Banko!~*~*~*~*~*~*
    http://budget101..com/ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    To View the List Archives Please Visit http://www.budget101.com
    Yahoo! Groups Links
    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Budget101_/
    <*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional
    <*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Budget101_/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)
    <*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:Budget101_-digest@yahoogroups.com mailto:Budget101_-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com
    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    Budget101_-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

[/quote]

Monica

You need to travel with a Visa or Mastercard Debit Card (a debit with the cc logo). No hotel/airline/rental car/catalog order will turn it down and it gets treated exactly like a cc no holds on the account. You do not have to even say that it’s a debit card when they ask for a cc# you just give it to them.
    Almost every bank out there offers it. If yours doesnt it might be worth changing. I couldnt get by without mine.
    Monica

"If you put garbage in a computer, nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it." - Anonymous

Mike Hurst

That isn&#39;t true. They will still put a hold on it if that is there policy. They can put holds on credit cards as well.

On 4/14/08, Monica[/b] <mommyof2gals@comcast.net> wrote:

<p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">You need to travel with a Visa or Mastercard Debit Card (a debit with the cc logo). No hotel/airline/rental car<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">/catalog order<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">will turn it down and<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">it gets treated exactly like a cc<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"> no holds on the account. You do not have to even say<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">that<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">it's a<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"> debit card<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"> when they ask for a cc# you just give it to them.
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">Almost every bank out there offers it<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">. If yours doesn<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">'<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">t<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d"> it might be worth changing<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">. I couldn<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">'<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Papyrus" color="#69316d">t get by without mine.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Monotype Corsiva" color="#69316d" size="5">Monica
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2">"If you put garbage in a computer,<font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2"> nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it."<font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2"> <font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2">- Anonymous<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us">

Monica

>>That isn't true. They will still put a hold on it if that is there policy.

They can put holds on credit cards as well.<<
    That surprises me to hear. I apologize if I gave out false info. It has always been my understanding that they are accepted the same as cc’s because the logo holder (visa/mc) guarantees the payment just like they do on the cc. The same way they protect the purchaser the same as they do cc holders on purchases.
    We do not use credit cards and have used a visa debit card exclusively for 10&#43;years and I have NEVER had a hold put on my account for reservations of any type in all that time and we travel a lot. Hmmm? I’m curious which hotels will do that because I do not want to use them.
    The only exception that I have ever run across was at the gas pump. My dh entered the pin instead of running it as a credit card. They put a $100 hold on our account which was a pain. Maybe the hotels and car rentals will put a hold if you use your pin instead of running it like a cc as well? That might explain it.

Monica

"If you put garbage in a computer, nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it." - Anonymous

Mike Hurst

Yea I never heard that a hotel putting a hold on it, but I would think a car rental place would just like they do when you rent a uhual which is how I know they can put a hold on a cc.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Monica <mommyof2gals@comcast.net> wrote:

<p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">>><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">That isn&#39;t true. They will still put a hold on it if that is there policy.

They can put holds on credit cards as well.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"><<
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">That surprises me to hear. I<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Georgia" size="2">apologize<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> if I gave out false info.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Georgia" size="2">It<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> ha<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">s always been my understanding that they are accepted the same as cc<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">'<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">s because the logo holder (visa/mc) guarantees the payment<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> just like they do on the cc<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">. The same way they protect the purchaser the same as they do cc holders on purchases.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">We do not use credit cards and have used a visa debit card exclusively for 10<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">&#43;years and I have NEVER had a hold put on my account for reservations of any type in all that time and we travel a lot. Hmmm? I<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">'<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">m curious which hotels will do that because I do not want to use<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> them.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">The only exception that I have ever run across was at the gas pump. My dh entered the pin instead of running it as a credit card. They put a<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> $100 hold on our account<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Georgia" size="2">which<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> was a pain. Maybe the hotels and car rentals will put a hold if you use your pin instead of running it like a cc as well?<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> That might explain it.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font color="#69316d" face="Monotype Corsiva" size="5">Monica
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font color="#943634" face="Calibri" size="2">"If you put garbage in a computer,<font color="#943634" face="Calibri" size="2"> nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it."<font color="#943634" face="Calibri" size="2"> <font color="#943634" face="Calibri" size="2">- Anonymous<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">

[/quote]

Karin Mueller

That&#39;s it exactly. If you use yourr pin number, then you are using it as a debit card and they put a hold on the money. If you use it as a credit card, they don&#39;t.
    Karin LM

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Monica <mommyof2gals@comcast.net> wrote:

<p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">>><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">That isn&#39;t true. They will still put a hold on it if that is there policy.

They can put holds on credit cards as well.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"><<
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">That surprises me to hear. I<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Georgia" size="2">apologize<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> if I gave out false info.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Georgia" size="2">It<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> ha<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">s always been my understanding that they are accepted the same as cc<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">'<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">s because the logo holder (visa/mc) guarantees the payment<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> just like they do on the cc<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">. The same way they protect the purchaser the same as they do cc holders on purchases.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">We do not use credit cards and have used a visa debit card exclusively for 10<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">&#43;years and I have NEVER had a hold put on my account for reservations of any type in all that time and we travel a lot. Hmmm? I<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">'<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">m curious which hotels will do that because I do not want to use<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> them.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2">The only exception that I have ever run across was at the gas pump. My dh entered the pin instead of running it as a credit card. They put a<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> $100 hold on our account<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"> <font face="Georgia" size="2">which<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> was a pain. Maybe the hotels and car rentals will put a hold if you use your pin instead of running it like a cc as well?<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Georgia" size="2"> That might explain it.<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Monotype Corsiva" color="#69316d" size="5">Monica
    <p dir="ltr"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2">"If you put garbage in a computer,<font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2"> nothing comes out but garbage. But this garbage, having passed through a very expensive machine, is somehow ennobled and none dare criticize it."<font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2"> <font face="Calibri" color="#943634" size="2">- Anonymous<span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us"><span lang="en-us">

ky kygirl

I work at a motel and we put a hold on debit or credit

cards for your entire stay such as 5 nights plus 10%

for incidentals. it is called a preauthorization so

you can't leave oweing us money. It sets aside the money.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast