What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Chicken Thighs and Csirke Paprikash

Newbie Robinetty here!

I see a LOT of you know the tender tastiness of chicken thighs in many recipes. My mother was Hungarian, and in the years when the family was 'poor' this was made with chicken wings! I'm sorry I don't have exact measurements, I learned to cook with a handful of this and a pinch of that, but I'll do my best.

Remove skins from as many chicken thighs as you want! (leave bone in please!)
    Cover with water and set the flame to simmer on top of the stove.
    Add Garlic, dried, canned, fresh, whatever way you want as much as you want. It is my personal opinion the more the better!
    One large yellow onion chopped fine.
    Simmer, simmer, simmer.
    Taste broth. Add more garlic! LOL! Maybe another onion (depending on how much chicken you've got in that pot! Add water if it needs it.
    Simmer, simmer, simmer.
    I don't add salt because Garlic is naturally salty, however You may add a teaspoon of Better Than Boullion if you think it needs it.
    Almost done. Add chopped fresh parsley.

Here's where I break with tradition. Most Hungarian cooks will cook the dumplings in boiling water. That was my job when I was a kid, dip the teaspoon in the hot water to keep the batter from sticking to the spoon, pick up about a half a teaspoon of dough and drop it in the water. Repeat. Hot and tiring. Nowadays I just make the dough and add it teaspoon by teaspoon right into the broth! Very tasty and saves some time.

Dumplings (Galuska):

3 cups all purpose flour

About a teaspoon of Salt
    3 Eggs

Mix flour and salt. Scramble the eggs then add to the flour. Add cold water a little at a time (about 1/2 cup) Beat together with a wooden spoon until the dough 'breaks' or snaps from the spoon and sides of the bowl. You can use the teaspoon method I described, or force the dough through a Spaeztle Maker. The dumplings are done as soon as they rise to the top!

Turn off your fire under the pot. Wait about fifteen to twenty minutes, so that when you add the small tub of sour cream, light or the real deal, it won't curdle. Add your paprika (This has to be Hungarian Paprika! much sweeter than the bitter stuff off the shelf.) Adding the paprika is like the garlic, some Hungarians prefer a very red color for their paprikash so they add a LOT. Me, I'm a little chintsy because the Paprika I'm using comes from Almosd, Hungary, raised by my grandmother's family who stayed in the old country. Another reason for adding the paprika at the last minute is because it is a delicate spice and loses flavor if you cook it while you are simmering your chicken.

Enjoy!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chicken Thighs and Csirke Paprikash

Welcome to Budget 101, Robinetty! Good to have you here. Thanks for the recipe! Sounds good. Thanks; Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Chicken Thighs and Csirke Paprikash

Thanks Virginia! A variation on this recipe, if you want to avoid the sour cream, is to take out the chicken (keep warm in the oven) then add a cup or two of brown rice (depends on how much stock you rendered) then add your paprika after the rice is cooked. You can de-bone your chicken and add back into the rice, or serve the rice on the side.