sarah_d_ann

Default Help with cheap activities in Orlando

Hi,

My son and I are going to visit our family in the Orlando are in June.

He's 5 so I'm not paying the money to do the major theme park thing

since he probably won't remember it anyway. I was wondering if anyone

had any suggestions for free or low cost things that would be fun for

us to do/see while we are there. We are planning 1 day at Daytona

Beach too.

Thanks

amanda sears

We just went to Orlando back in November. My MIL paid for the airfare and park admissions but we were on our own for everything else. There are some small fun parks you can go to in the Orlando area.We did not go to them but we saw them. They have little kiddy rides. You can also find lots of really cool mini golf places. There is one across from Vistana resort that you can go to free if you eat dinner at CiCi's pizza. When you are there you will be able to find all kinds of brochures that can point you in the direction of things to do.

If you do happen to decide to go to a theme park I highly suggest Sea World. It is really worth the money. I did not think that it would be a big favorite with my son who was four then (he just turned five a couple weeks ago) but it was the high light of the trip for him and it ignited a love of "sea creatures". Oh and here is a hint to save money in places like that. Purchase the water bottle covers with the straps. We had no problem bringing those into the park full of a drink. This lasted the kids most of the day and saved big $$$. It will save you money even if you are just sight seeing. You can get these at any of the Walmarts for like 3.99. We also packed some small snacks in the kids bags. Nothing big so the parks would not complain when they checked our bags but just a little something so we would not have to buy meals at the park. We usually bought one small treat a day and had our snacks and just had a hearty breakfast and dinner.

Sorry I was not too helpful. I guess it works out well to have a MIL with plenty of money who lives in the Orlando area ~

<P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting, Cursive" color="#cc0066" size="1">
    <P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting, Cursive"><FONT color="#008000">~<FONT color="#008000">Amanda~
    <P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting" color="#008000" size="4">"<FONT size="1">UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    <P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting" color="#008000" size="1">(The Lorax by Dr. Suess)

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:53:00 &#43;0000
    Subject: Budget101.com : Help with cheap activities in Orlando

Hi,

Beach too.

Thanks

Diane May

I don't know if it will frustrate him or be fun but Downtown Disney is

free. It is mall of sorts of Disney stores but it is decorated in the

inimitable Disney way. There are sometimes activities/DJs happening near

the dock area. There is a HUGE Disney decorated McDonald's, a great

Lego store with awesome huge Lego sculptures outside. A trick you can

do is at DTD catch a transporation bus to either the Contemporary, Grand

Floridian or Polynesian hotels (this saves $11 parking at the main

transportation center). Get off the bus at your chosen resort and board

the Monorail. You can ride it around the Lagoon in front of the Magic

Kingdom. Get off at the transportation Center and transfer to the Epcot

monorail and ride it - it goes through the park. Then go back to the

transportation center and you can board the ferry boat the goes to the

resorts or to Magic Kingdom. The monorail and ferry are free and can be

lots of fun for a 5 year old. Especially if you get to ride up front

with the driver! Ask a cast member when you are in line for a monorail

if you can ride with the pilot. Only 4 people can ride up front with

the pilot at a time. If there is someone waiting ahead of you and you

are willing to wait it is really fun. We try to do it at least once

every trip! You can also tour through the various hotel lobbies. The

lobbies are always so lavishly decorated (especially for holidays) it is

fun to wander around and look at them. If you are lucky you might spot

some hidden Mickey's! (these are shapes that look like the classic 3

circle image of Mickey's head that are worked into architecture, decor,

anything. Better explanation here:

http://www.hiddenmickeys.org/WhatIs.html)

If you are willing to give up a couple hours timeshares will give away a

couple attraction tickets to listen to their high pressure sales pitch.

You just have to go in with "two broken arms" unable to sign anything

and with only one word in your vocabulary - NO!

Coco Beach is about 45 minutes from Orlando. They have public beach

access. That is a little closer than Daytona. It will save gas $$.

Other than that I can't think of any other ideas...

Have fun!

Diane in GA

GC

<div style="font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12pt;">Hi,
    check this museum out, no cost:
    http://www.wycliffe.org/About/WordSpring.aspx

WordSpring Discovery Center in Orlando, Florida is the place to discover the amazing story of the Bible.

Glenda

<H2>Help with cheap activities in Orlando </H2>
    <H3>Posted by: "sarah_d_ann" sarah_d_ann@yahoo.com sarah_d_ann </H3>
    <H4>Fri Apr11,2008 12:04pm (PDT) </H4>
    Hi,

Beach too.

Thanks

margo oowens

I live outside Orlando.Just wanna say although they say Orlando you are probably gonna be in Kissimmee.Buy nothing there ,drive the few extra miles back to Orlando & buy food ,groceries,gas,hotel/motel stays.......cheaper!Oh don't rent a car from the places close to the airport! Also go to craigslist orlando u never know what info u can get..... Same with Daytona Beach. Once you get here the walgreens sell the Entertainment Coupon Book or join the orlando freecycle now & start getting coupons mailed to u that people aren't using.Those of us who live here use them very little for attractions because most of us have family & friends who work at attractions & get in for free a few times a year. For 5 yrs old I definately suggest visiting Old Town,which is in Kissimmee.No cost to enter.But lots of
    shops,singing,& rides.It is a nice walk thru a fair like atmosphere.There is a puppet theater in Winter Park that I think is like $5 to get into.Kids luv it. Although it cost a bit to go to Arabian Nights it is worth the expense I think.It includes the meal.But mine love horses so it was well worth it.There is Wet n Wild on International Dr in Kissimmee(if your child swims) ~we are expecting 90 degree heat today! You can get discounts from Wendy's soda cups for Sea World & Wet n Wild. Don't buy discount tickets from these side vendors or you will waste a day at a timeshare or risk getting fake tickets. I will look in my coupon book & let ya know what I got.You are welcome to the 1's we do not use....... Oh & here we do not say "pop" it is a soda or your tourist sign starts blinking across your head! Margo

&#32;_____________________________________________ _____

lisa griffeth

Try a mid afternoon movie at Festiva (Festival?)Bay mall- they are much cheaper andit's a good cool way to spend a few hours. There is also a big discount bookstore near the movie- tons of kids books and good prices. Downtown Disney is free to enter- head to the playgrounds or the lego store- you can build stuff free and there's a McDonalds close if you need munchies. You can drop less than $5 for him to take a train ride at Downtown Disney as well. We also like to go to Olde Town (do a google search) and see the shops, carnival games/rides and especially on Friday and Saturday nights when they havethe antique car/hot rod cruise-in/car show...admission is free, games and rides are pay as you go. There is a Checkers there for cheap snacks as well. HTH Lisa G.

&#32;_____________________________________________ _____

Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
    protection around

amanda sears

If you do Olde Town across the street there is a place with a cold stone creamery ice cream parlor. Well worth the $. My kids had a terrific time picking out their own ice cream combos. I even took about 15 to decide what to have. Yum! Oh and in Olde Town they have a marionette puppet store. The kids love this place and they can go in and play with everything. The workers even try to engage the kids in a puppet show.

Oh and Downtown Disney is fun like Lisa G. suggested. Share one of the dipped and coated apples when you are done there! They are enourmous and so yummy. I bought one and it took me three or four days to finish it.

Everything I do seems to end with food

<P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting, Cursive" color="#cc0066" size="1">
    <P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting, Cursive"><FONT color="#008000">~<FONT color="#008000">Amanda~
    <P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting" color="#008000" size="4">"<FONT size="1">UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not."
    <P align="center"><FONT face="Lucida Handwriting" color="#008000" size="1">(The Lorax by Dr. Suess)

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:17:56 -0700
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Help with cheap activities in Orlando

Try a mid afternoon movie at Festiva (Festival?)Bay mall- they are much cheaper andit's a good cool way to spend a few hours. There is also a big discount bookstore near the movie- tons of kids books and good prices.
    Downtown Disney is free to enter- head to the playgrounds or the lego store- you can build stuff free and there's a McDonalds close if you need munchies. You can drop less than $5 for him to take a train ride at Downtown Disney as well. We also like to go to Olde Town (do a google search) and see the shops, carnival games/rides and especially on Friday and Saturday nights when they havethe antique car/hot rod cruise-in/car show...admission is free, games and rides are pay as you go. There is a Checkers there for cheap snacks as well.

HTH
    Lisa G.

http://mail.yahoo.com