Help, I need suggestions....or a miracle.- General

My family is seriously broke...and its getting worse especially with the new tax increase. We are going more and more in debt and we don't know what to do. As it is, we might have another weeks worth of food and no money to buy more. The food bank only gives about 2 days worth of food for a

food, family, home, work, worth, income, money, suggestions, helps, stays, baby, jobs, hard, needed, night, sucks, system, bartering, back, hours, company, legit, envelope, stuffing, worse, bank, increase, weeks, debt, sons, miracle, survivor, benefits, husband, single, days, broke

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Help, I need suggestions....or a miracle.

My family is seriously broke...and its getting worse especially with the new tax increase. We are going more and more in debt and we don't know what to do. As it is, we might have another weeks worth of food and no money to buy more. The food bank only gives about 2 days worth of food for a family of 5. Does anyone have any suggestions that might help? We are a single income family and the only other income is my son's survivor benefits. My husband is currently looking for work. He would be willing to do work from home jobs but its very hard since he stays home with the baby and helps out with the other two when they get home. Does anyone know of a legit company that even does envelope stuffing? I'd do that until the wee hours of the night if needed. Money sucks....We need to go back to a bartering system.

Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Help, I need suggestions....or a miracle.

Quote Originally Posted by lmitchell View Post
    My family is seriously broke...and its getting worse especially with the new tax increase..
    The only good thing is that the major tax increase was averted. Here's the breakdown of how the new tax increase will affect your family:

• Annual Income of $20,000- $30,000- average increase of $297.
    • Annual Income of $30,000- $40,000 - average increase of $445.
    • Annual Income of $40,000- $50,000 - Average increase of $579.
    • Annual Income of $50,000- $75,000 - average increase of 822.
    • Annual Income of $75,000- $100,000 - Average increase of $1,206.
    • Annual Income of $100,000- $200,000 - Average increase of $1,784
    • Annual Income of $200,000- $500,000 - Average increase of $2,711
    • Annual Income of $500,000- $1 Mil - Average increase of $14,812
    • Annual Income Over $1 Million - Average increase of $170,341

We are going more and more in debt and we don't know what to do. As it is, we
    might have another weeks worth of food and no money to buy more. The food bank
    only gives about 2 days worth of food for a family of 5. Does anyone have any
    suggestions that might help?

Where do you feel the majority of your income goes? (Rent, Cable, Phone, Cell Phone, vehicles/gas/insurance, etc??)

Regarding Food, what type of pantry basics do you have to work with? Do you have anything in the freezer?
    There are a number of very inexpensive dishes that can be whipped together that are both filling and healthy... if we have just a little more information . . .

I completely understand your frustration, when I started this site (almost 15 yrs ago), we were living on less than $20,000 a year with 2 little kids & struggling every day, which actually, is how this site started!

We are a single income family and the only other income is my son's survivor
    benefits. My husband is currently looking for work. He would be willing to do
    work from home jobs but its very hard since he stays home with the baby and
    helps out with the other two when they get home.
    Since he's already providing childcare, is there Any chance that he could provide childcare for another family?

What type of work do you do?

Does anyone know of a legit company that even does envelope stuffing?
    There isn't any such thing, envelope stuffing is a scam. We do list all known legit work at home jobs by state here:

Work At Home Jobs & Starting a Home Based Business

Here is a list of the jobs available for your particular area:

Work At Home Jobs & Starting a Home Based Business

Have you tried more than 1 Food Pantry? It appears that there are several in your area:

Gainesville FL Food Pantries | Gainesville Florida Food Pantries, Food Banks, Soup Kitchens

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

My husband is looking for work and having a hard time finding places that are open nights. I work in insurance in the call center and he has done call center work also, but we are not allowed to work in the same department, even on differing shifts. I'm trying to see about moving to another department, but that all depends on if there are openings. Most of my income goes to rent, nearly $900/month for a 3/2 apartment. Our credit seriously sucks so we can't get a house. And we would need a 4/2 or a 4/3 home since we are also in a custody battle. We only know of 1 food pantry, but I suppose we could try others, too. I feel guilty going to them, though. I know there are other people worse off than myself but we need food, too. So, thats a tough one. Thanks for the list of pantries and the jobs. I'll have my hubby check them out.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heart Re: Help, I need suggestions....or a miracle.

Are there any 24hr. restaurants, truck stops or Walmart's in your area? Their graveyard shifts start around 10pm. Also, have you gone to DES for food stamps or local churches for help? Some churches here in Arizona have programs that if you help with your time you can receive food boxes, or sit through a service and receive food boxes. Check out what your local churches have to offer...they'll know where else you can get help and even help your husband with finding work!

Hope this helps...
    In Christ all things are possible! Blessings, Angie

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

i just ran across your posting and i was wondering how you are going? i hope things are getting better for you

Ann

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can also try Gaballi's or Gospel Food Ministries-- provide a month's worth of food for $40...

Home

Find Your Host Site

Also -- the following stores double coupon in Florida -- Foodway, Fred's in Deland, Homeland Foods in Clermont, Harvey's, Harris Teeter . Northern Fl: Hitchcok's Foodway

If you don't coupon now, you will want to start -- asap!

If you don't have coupons, I would be willing to send you coupons to help get you started -- just let me know!!

I've been where you are, and that is how I started stockpiling (2003). Good luck and keep us updated.
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Also -- why haven't you or your family applied for food stamps?
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

We did apply for food stamps. We had been denied. Finally, they approved us and we are starting to get back on our feet. Coupons have been my saving grace. And vegetarian meals, too. Less meat = less $ spent. And when I do purchase meat, its on sale for super cheap or a BOGO. I have been checking out couponing sites that sell coupons and wow, did I save on some of my items.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all of the support. We greatly appreciate it. With the savings from the coupons, I can start stockpiling some foods.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Things I have done to survive:

1) asked and got permission to pick blackberries on a dairy, froze some, made jam, and ate our fill

2) picked, cooked and served dandelion greens, plaintain, and mustard greens that grew wild. My kids favorite to this day is mustard green and cream cheese sandwiches

3)picked up tomatoes and onions left behind after the harvest and canned and dried

4) went to several food banks and asked if I could help sort food - they allowed me to bring the kids and I was given extra food

5) went to the local newspaper to see about a paper route for the midweek ad routes and ended up throwing two route a week $62/week with no time spent collecting money.

6) asked the donut store for their stale (beyond a day old donuts) They gave me a large trash bag which I sorted and put through a blender to turn into crumbs, them added cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamon etc and used them to make deserts for the kids. Froze the crumbs in 1 gallon bags. Bread works the same way and you can use it in casseroles or to make mock lasagne, or spray it with non-stick spray cut into cubes and shake it in a bag with your favorite spices to make snack croutons.

7) bought the culled fruits and vegetables from the grocery store for my "rabbits" Sorted out the spoilage from the overripe. Treated any potentially edible food with bleach water and air dried it, then cooked, canned or dryed it (Apple chips are easy to make in a dehydrator and my kids loved them). This reduced my grocery bills tremendously.

8) talked to private property owners about fishing in the streams that crossed their property. Fresh fish is a great addition to any diet.

9)Talked to a used appliance dealer and detailed some really gross refrigerators and freezers at $25 apiece.

10) Cleaned houses 6 hours a week $60-100/wk depending on what needed cleaning and whether I was babysitting the kids as I worked.

11) Got the kids involved in recycling and cashed in about $25/ cans and bottle each week

12)Worked as a counselor in a group home during the 10 hr night shift and on call for other shifts. I could sleep some during the day while my kids were at school and had only a 4 day work week unless I got overtime.

13) Contacted the drug manufacturers assistance programs to get my prescriptions for free or at a reduced cost.

14) I mystery shopped to get a night out with my husband and traded babysitting with another couple (they babysat for us and we would babysit an equal amount for them - no cost) Mystery shopping reimbursed the cost of the dinners if I was very careful about what we bought

15) Had my eye exam reimbursed via mystery shopping then went to Zenni online to buy glasses for as little as 6.95/ pair plus shipping

16)I mystery shopped grocery stores and bought meat to freeze and cook (reimbursed $15-25 for purchases plus an $8-10 shopper fee

17) Buy from a freight damaged surplus outlet and get surprising discounts on food, school supplies, clothes, cosmetics or just about anything that travels by big rig.

18) Get together with at least three other families and buy in bulk, then divide the purchases for extra savings

19) Get 3-5 families together and take turns cooking an main course, vegetable and desert. This worked well, because it saved me time and money. On the days I wasn't working I could afford the time to cook huge pans of Spaghetti or chicken and dumplings, then another family would bring the vegetable or desert. On the days I worked my meal was ready to serve and my electricity to heat my oven was only used about twice a week! We saved lots of money by working together and we usually had about 17-20 to cook for on a given night.

Possibly one of these might work for you! JRodgers

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey. I ran across your post. I know when money gets tight, I still use meats in my meals but I seriously stretch it out with pastas, rice or beans. Also, I make lots of one pot meals. Also a trick I do for us that really works to stretch your food. Put the meal on small plates/ bowls. I find we eat, get full but there is tons of food left. We tend to push food down, even if we are full, but when portions are smaller, you eat till comfortable. Also, buy veggies at Asian stores or fruit and veggie stands. The prices are way less. Also consider growing veggies and fruits in a small garden. Kids love to help out and you can save by stocking up and using your grown foods all year. Good luck to you.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree that vegitarian meals are a lot cheaper and I am begining to think they are better for you. I make a chili with TVP (Total Vegitable Protien) and a can of baked beans with some chili powder and its really good. I use Red Mill TVP and its around $3 and change for a 1 lb bag. The TVP looks like grapenuts cerial and you add water to it and it expands. one bag does 3 meals worth of Protein. you can add a bell pepper and onion too if you want. I also use it for taco meat just add the water and the seasoning.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

^^^ I have never heard of TVP. is it sold at any grocery store or do you need to find a special place to buy it?

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

TVP stands for Textured Vegetable Protein -- a food product made from soybeans. It is produced from soy flour after the soybean oil has been extracted, then cooked under pressure, extruded, and dried. It can be found in most grocery stores, nowadays. Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

go to RATRACEREBELLION.com We were in the same position a few years back. My husband was laid off and I am disabled but hadn't been approved for my SSD yet. We were dealing with a wonderful Tax Preparer through a well known company that is everywhere. It was getting to the point where I needed assistance during the day and he was needed at home. We had all ways talked about him working from home and getting paid a decent wage, but didn't know where to begin. She gave us this website, through it my husband hooked up with an online position at a call center working from home. He doesn't work with them now because now he works for a very prominent computer company doing chat support. FROM HOME! He loves it, and is going on the fourth year. I won't kid you there are always going to be lay offs etc to deal with (he was laid off from the first company and was able to get hired back on before this last position came available).

A couple others he suggests are Sykes at home and cloud 10. These are all legit companies. And you get paid for working as if you were going to an office.

As far as your food situation, there are several churches out there that will be glad to help. If you have a church home start with your Minister, other wise seek help at any church you can find. They will help you make it through. Call 211 and they will be able to give you local places to help. Another source is your state SNAP program. With little ones, you may be able to get assistance depending on the income of the rest of the house hold. They have a program where they expedite stamps during a crisis such as you are going through. It sure made a difference in our lives when we needed it. Good Luck and I will be praying for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast