• Tips-n-Tricks
  • Contact Us
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Gardens

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

Default 2013 Gardens

A new season has arrived and is now in progress!

As has became tradition in our home, on Tuesday (New Year's Day) we started seeds in pots to do viability tests. If all goes well we won't have to purchase seed of these varieties, as we have home saved. It all depends on the tests.

We will probably buy some seeds of different varieties, to see how they grow and how we like them; don't know for sure, yet.

Take Care and Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Freebies Make My Day
      Downloads
      Uploads

Default Re: 2013 Gardens

WOW that is starting it early. I just got a gardening magazine, thinking about fruit this year. In MN that means varied berries and grapes. Has anyone ever tried growing a Miniture Lemon tree (indoors)? Do they really grow and produce? Lemons can be spendy in MN.
      Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

Yes, I have seen Dwarf Lemons grown inside and they did have fruit on them. I would like one, but the temperature in our home is too low. I believe that the lemons would need to stay as warm as Kiwis, (I have one in a pot, it is asleep right now because it is cold) which is no colder than 65 degrees. [We can't seem to get this house to stay above 60 degrees on a nice day; when the wind is blowing above 10 miles per hour it won't stay above 50.] It would probably live like my Kiwi, but it wouldn't produce in the winter if it goes dormant. They need to be in south facing windows, they like the temperature to be around 70 degrees and need 12 hours of light a day. You could use grow lights, but that is not something we can afford. You would have to pollinate it by hand. It could be put outside (In its pot) on a patio, porch or deck from late spring (after last frost) until early fall (before first frost). Hope this helps. Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

Well, our seed germination tests we started on New Years Day went well. We will allow them to grow in their pots, see if we can keep them alive until planting time. Have ordered some new varieties of tomato seeds to go along with what we have, just because I found some on an online sale and we love tomatoes. We grow most of the foods that we eat. Each year we try to plant something completely new (we have never grown before) and I am thinking about attempting to grow Quinoa Grains this year. We will see. Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Mod Squad
      Blog Entries
      Downloads
      Uploads

It does seem early to start seeds but so much depends on your location. I usually start mine with time change jkpjohnson, by the time they are at a good point to put in the ground the fear of the major cold should be limited in our area. With the drought and so much not growing last year, I am contemplating how much room I have inside for doing indoor pots. Of course that does limit what you grow. Good luck on your garden, glad the seeds are working.

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

These are just a few seeds to see if they would grow, (we don't hold out much hope of them living long enough for transplant) although we have had some plants live and actually produce from our little tests. More of a way to keep our fingers in the dirt, than anything else, but it does tell us if the seeds we saved were good as they come up in cold dirt with air temperature around 60 degrees F. We plant most all of our seeds directly in the ground when the weather is correct for each crop. Some seeds, like tomatoes and peppers and such we will plant in seed starting flats about 6 weeks before they are to be transplanted but the date to start them is around 6 weeks from now. Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

We started pepper and eggplant seeds in flats today, approximately 10 weeks before our last frost date (April 15). They are really slow to germinate, especially when the air temperature is colder than 70 degrees. The plants should (hopefully) be ready to plant out around the first week of May. Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Deal GURU
      Downloads
      Uploads

My baby pepper plants (seedlings) are popping there heads out of the soil in their flats, today. Yahoo! I just love to see things start to grow. No eggplants, yet, but hopefully it won't be long and I will see them too. Happy Gardening! Thanks; Virginia

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast