shellbeau813

Default electric dryer vs. gas dryer

Hi everyone!

I have an ancient gas clothes dryer that will need to be replaced

soonish. We were just given an electric dryer (practically new) from

some friends that moved. So here is the question, is it worth it to

convert from gas to electric? I have to consider 1) the cost of

getting the proper voltage plug installed (with dedicated circuit?) 2)

the fact that electric dryers are more expensive to run over time and

3) the fact that it is a FREE dryer. What should I do?

Michelle in MA

Carole

do you have 220 to your house--if so can hubby install outlet--I have an electric dryer--I really dont use it much I am a clothes line person---but I have found it to be cleaner to run and safer for me--but when we bought this old place I had hubby go all electric because gas in a wood house scares me to death--by the way for all who are interrested my electric bill to run two small houses-800 square ft each one a cook house and one a bedroom bathroom--or as the fancy people say a master suite--cost me 65.00 per month but thats in south central Texas--and we heat by wood stove in the bedroom--in the cook house the ever present cooking heats it well--in the summer we cook early no AC--we use the age old method of open clothes--so I am electric all the way

<!-- ygrp-msg
    -->

armstrca

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">It is free go for it.<SPAN> But when you do have the $$$ replace it with a gas dryer.<SPAN> They last forever and are much cheaper to run.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">What do you mean convert?<SPAN> All you do is plug it in - 99% of the houses already have the hookups for it - even if they have a gas outlet. Are you sure the outlet isn't already there?
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of shellbeau813
    Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:42 PM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : electric dryer vs. gas dryer
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman';">I have an ancient gas clothes dryer that will need to be replaced teal;"> soonish. We were just given an electric dryer (practically new) from teal;"> some friends that moved. So here is the question, is it worth it to teal;"> convert from gas to electric?

Carole

LOL--that was meant to say open windows and doors but I quess open clothes is a good way to stay cool too

Carole <caroleable@yahoo.com> wrote: do you have 220 to your house--if so can hubby install outlet--I have an electric dryer--I really dont use it much I am a clothes line person---but I have found it to be cleaner to run and safer for me--but when we bought this old place I had hubby go all electric because gas in a wood house scares me to death--by the way for all who are interrested my electric bill to run two small houses-800
    square ft each one a cook house and one a bedroom bathroom--or as the fancy people say a master suite--cost me 65.00 per month but thats in south central Texas--and we heat by wood stove in the bedroom--in the cook house the ever present cooking heats it well--in the summer we cook early no AC--we use the age old method of open clothes--so I am electric all the way