Sara's meal plan week of 16 Dec.

It's been far too long since I participated here; in addition, we're having our Christmas dinner this Saturday, I thought I'd keep myself accountable. :) I want to basically empty the fridge of leftovers before this weekend. I tend not to assign meals to specific days; I list what sounds

week, saturday, fridge, make, dinner, christmas, options, meals, apple, frozen, eggs, soup, ahead, sausage, cooks, woman, pioneer, drummond, pumpkin, potatoes, sauce, bread, dough, dead-easy, meal, leftovers, list, addition, pies, devilled, pickles/olives, made, churchs, dessert, buffet, left, host, sunday, community, feast, skillet, pierogi, cranberry, mashed, caramelized, onions, purchased, sweet, turkey, stuffing

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sara's meal plan week of 16 Dec.

It's been far too long since I participated here; in addition, we're having our Christmas dinner this Saturday, I thought I'd keep myself accountable. I want to basically empty the fridge of leftovers before this weekend.

I tend not to assign meals to specific days; I list what sounds appealing for a week or two, strongly informed by what we have on hand in the freezer/fridge/pantry. Lunches are leftovers, or picked fom a list of 'standard options' I keep on the fridge that includes baked potato, curried chickpeas, cheese/bean quesadilla, soup (I make big batches ahead in winter and freeze). Except for the soups, these are served with fresh fruit/veggies, or sometimes frozen veg.

Breakfasts typically rotate between oatmeal, toast, or eggs, with other options occassionally depending on time and resources.

I'm aiming for 'dead-easy' meals this week, as I'll be trying to work ahead for Saturday when I can - with two little ones helping and mulitple appointments this week!

So...supper options this week:

Leftovers/encores
    Pasta w/ red sauce
    Grilled cheese w/ tomato soup
    Sausage bread (dough for this is already in fridge)

And that nearly covers all evenings before Saturday...there's also enough dough in the fridge to make pizza or calzones in addition to the sausage bread, and two more dead-easy meals at the ready, either for this week, or as a change next week: butter chicken lasagna (store-bought premade/frozen) and some frozen pierogis for pierogi skillet (I usually make my own with purchased wrappers).

And Saturday: Christmas dinner!

Turkey
    Stuffing
    Maple-glazed sweet potatoes with caramelized onions and bacon
    Glazed brussels sprouts and baby carrots
    Homemade dinner rolls
    Gravy
    (Maybe) mashed potatoes

Cranberry sauce
    Devilled eggs
    Pickles/olives

And more pies than we need, if I can get them made. Our church's community 'Christmas Feast' is Sunday - we host the dessert buffet - so anything left uncut, I can donate there!

Cream apple pie Dreamy Apple Pie | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

(Or maybe this one: Scrumptious Apple Pie | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond)

Layered pumpkin pie (Old Fashioned Paradise Pumpkin Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com)

Pecan pie
    My grandma's coconut custard pie

And mince pie or tarts, for the DH

We'll see whether any other baking happens this week. I'd like to make...maybe cornflake wreaths or gingerbread cutouts with the kids.

What do others' holiday meal menus look like?

~Sara

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaraCate For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sara's meal plan week of 16 Dec.

This looks fantastic! I LOVE seeing others menus, plus it gives me all kinds of ideas. lol
    I'm in the process of trying to clean out my fridge too, especially towards the end of this week.
    Thank you so much for sharing you plan, recipe links, and ideas!!

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Speaking of links, I see one or two more I can share: our holiday veggie sides.

Maple Glazed Sweet Potatoes with Bacon and Caramelized Onions Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Baby Carrots And Brussels Sprouts Glazed With Brown Sugar and Pepper Recipe - Allrecipes.com A note: *Use less pepper!* We like our fresh black pepper, but 1 T. overpowers the dish. I suggest starting with half - or even less - and adding to taste from there.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the additional recipe links.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're Christmas menu reminds me so much of Christmas dinner with my family in New Hampshire. Thank you for all the links. Pioneer Woman is one of my favorites.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lala72 View Post
    You're Christmas menu reminds me so much of Christmas dinner with my family in New Hampshire. Thank you for all the links. Pioneer Woman is one of my favorites.
    Me too! I've tried several of her recipes, and loved them. I love watching her, she's a hoot.