Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tressa Watts

Default Worst budgeting item..

I am curious what everyones downfall is on their budgeting? I can do great on clothes for mebut I am terrible with clothes for my 13 year old daughter.

I think it is because I didnt have nice clothes etc when I was a kid. I also splurge on fruit. I know that sounds silly but I remeber that as a kid alot of FRuits were not in my moms food budget..we recieved food stamps, government cheese etc during the winter because my parents worked construction and there wasnt much work during winter.

Another bad thing is sports for my daughter....camps, gear, uniforms, shoes etc. I am sure I have spent over $5,000 this year alone on sports for her with elite volleyball and travel (cost $900 team dues just to play not counting hotels, gas shoes etc) She also went to basketball camp at Ganzaga. How do parents with more then 1 kid do it? Around here if you are not doing the camps and elite teams on the off season you will not be playing on a highschool team. She hopes to be playing varsity next year her freshman year. Not only she enjoys it but it keeps her busy so she is not in trouble...

anyways just curious how if others have "bad budgeting items" or is everyone really good with their budgets?

I am here to save on little things I wont miss so I dont have to miss the other things I really enjoy so all the little tricks really do help.

Tressa

Benton City, WA

<hr>Climb to the top of the charts!Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now!

Karen Pierce

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">I would have to say my worst budgeting item is my hobby - counted cross stitch. I cannot seem to tighten the belt when it comes to that.
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">KarenP

<BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #008000 2px solid;">
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: budgetgroup
    Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 8:39 PM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Worst budgeting item..

I am curious what everyones downfall is on their budgeting? I can do great on clothes for mebut I am terrible with clothes for my 13 year old daughter.

Alisa Head

I also spent $$ for my 2 kiddo's "extra" activities while they were younger (and I was a single mom for 10 years of their childhood). I really don't regret it too much because of the skills they learned,rich experiences and friendships they had because of those activities. There was value in keeping them constructively busy as long as I did not neglect other essentials (healthcare, savings, etc.) to fund their enrichment. Scholarship opportunities were also a benefit of such activities

Now, eating away from home is our pitfall. The kids are on their own (for the most part) and we need to funnel more $$ into retirement planning. My husband and I religiously carry our snacks and lunches (leftovers) to work, almost always carry a drink from home when running errands, etc., and generally cook dinner at home most evenings; however, the temptation is great to go out to eat after church on Sunday most weeksand if we don't schedule our errands carefully it is easy to "pick something up while we're out and just hold whatever has been planned and/or prepared for another time".

I try to use coupons to trim costs for dining out, drink water, etc., but it still really can add up especially if we go out more than 1x/week! I like eating out to be an occasional treat to look forward to, not simply a budget-buster "just because".

The other item that myDH does that kills the budget and simply irrates me to no end is call information regularly on his cell phone ($1.79 each call with Sprint) for telephone numbers versus using FREE 411 or a similar service, using the internet (Anywho) or an old fashioned phone book. The convenience is simply not worth $1.79 per call to me . . .

Dry cleaning/laundry is another pitfall -- I guess I have more work to do on improving our budget than I originally thought . . .

Alisa
    --- On Wed, 3/19/08, Tressa Watts <TressaPSGT@hotmail.com> wrote:

To: "budgetgroup" <budget101_@yahoogroups.com>
    Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2008, 8:39 PM

<DIV id="yiv655897410">

I think it is because I didnt have nice clothes etc when I was a kid. I also splurge on fruit. I know that sounds silly but I remeber that as a kid alot of FRuits were not in my moms food budget..we recieved food stamps, government cheese etc during the winter because my parents worked construction and there wasnt much work during winter.
    Another bad thing is sports for my daughter.... camps, gear, uniforms, shoes etc. I am sure I have spent over $5,000 this year alone on sports for her with elite volleyball and travel (cost $900 team dues just to play not counting hotels, gas shoes etc) She also went to basketball camp at Ganzaga. How do parents with more then 1 kid do it? Around here if you are not doing the camps and elite teams on the off season you will not be playing on a highschool
    team. She hopes to be playing varsity next year her freshman year. Not only she enjoys it but it keeps her busy so she is not in trouble...
    anyways just curious how if others have "bad budgeting items" or is everyone really good with their budgets?
    I am here to save on little things I wont miss so I dont have to miss the other things I really enjoy so all the little tricks really do help.
    Tressa
    Benton City, WA

Climb to the top of the charts!Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now!

Nikki Papenburg

I know oh to well on the sports for children. 3 of my children stay active in sports year round. I don't spend money on all those camps and extra's nor is it the same sport as you can ruin their bodies. If your child has talent it will show. Plus batting cages are like 5 dollars for an hours worth of play. I also made a pitching mound in my back yard and we belong to the YMCA were they can practice anything. I personally talk to the presidents of the leagues and ask for discounts for multiple children. Sell extra candy bar and raffle tickets to help with the cost. I also donate extra time in concession stand, cleaning fields and numerous other things.
    Nikki
    Ottawa, IL

Tressa Watts <TressaPSGT@hotmail.com> wrote: I am curious what everyones downfall is on their budgeting? I can do great on clothes for mebut I am terrible with clothes for my 13 year old daughter.
    Another bad thing is sports for my daughter....camps, gear, uniforms, shoes etc. I am sure I have spent over $5,000 this year alone on sports for her with elite volleyball and travel (cost $900 team dues just to play not counting hotels, gas shoes etc) She also went to basketball camp at
    Ganzaga. How do parents with more then 1 kid do it? Around here if you are not doing the camps and elite teams on the off season you will not be playing on a highschool team. She hopes to be playing varsity next year her freshman year. Not only she enjoys it but it keeps her busy so she is not in trouble...
    Tressa
    Benton City, WA

<hr>Climb to the top of the charts!Play the word scramble challenge with star power. Play now! [/quote]

Katrina Hartman

I think mine is my hobby too...scrapbooking. My 15 yo son is really invovled in sports, but it costs me nothing compared to what it costs you Tressa. Golf, Basketball, and his passion...baseball--that's where we spend the most money with camps, overnight tournaments, travel, but not to the extent that you speak of.

~~*Katrina*~~
    Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly.
    Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably.
    And never regret anything that made you smile.

[quote]
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 6:37 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Worst budgeting item..

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">I would have to say my worst budgeting item is my hobby - counted cross stitch. I cannot seem to tighten the belt when it comes to that.

Donna Shad

We did the sports thing with the older son but the younger is

not into sports. He likes cars (now there's an expensive hobby).

We are remodeling our garage for him to be able to work on his

cars and build furniture. (both are very expensive but he is

good at both). He plans to use the expansion as his wood working

shop and the remodled part as his car shop (he's 18 years old

and about to graduate high school).

My budget buster is medical costs. It is hard for me to not get

medication when I know my family needs it. Testing supplies for

Diabeties are the worst (especially two of us have to test). I

know that is a weird budget buster but when you pay 175.00 for

just meds a month (after insurance and sometimes is 205.00) then

add testing supplies, lancets, alchol pads, cotton balls and

bandaids (I bleed to much and would take sometimes twenty

minutes to get it to stop if the lancet is to deep) it is

outrageous.

I also got nuts a christmas time as well but I plan for it all

year and put money back each month for my christmas fund. So

that kind of works out but I still go over.

Food is another thing that is breaking my actuall monthly

budget. I love to cook and my family loves to eat so I have to

be carefull about what I buy and that we will eat and enjoy it

without killing our glucose levels.

I do okay with my hobbies on cross stitch as I make alot of my

own patterns and download free patterns alot. I will buy the

cross stitch material by the yard and make my own kits. I have

alot of thread that I have bought over the years so I don't have

to keep buying it all the time. I limit myself to 20 skeins a

month out of my pocket money. (yes we each get pocket money that

has to cover any outside eating for lunch or hobbies or special

things that we want for ourselves) books would kill me if I

didn't have the pocket money. I save up to buy the more

expensive ones (usually health and nutrition books).

Donna

__________________________________________________ ______________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Michele Sheriff

My downfall is clothes and extras for my 16 yr old daughterand sports for my 11yr old daughter and just plan junk for my 11yr old son. I feel guilty being a single mom and given in easier than I should. This is something I am working on. When we go to the store I say over and over in my head "I can say no, I will say no" I know it is crazy but it is slowlyworking for me. (I also try to go to the store without my kids) Michele

&#32;
    Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Thomas & Tracy Harris

Karen,

I hear ya there...LOL I'm the same way, same hobby.

Thomas & Tracy Harris
    TNT Quarter Horses home of:
    TNTS Jack Be Blue - 2004 AQHA Buckskin Stallion
    TNTS Medicine Man - 2005 AQHA Perlino Stallion

[quote]
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2008 7:37 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Worst budgeting item..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast