Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 8 of 11
  1. #1
    velinabowen
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm a bit livid at the moment. My dbf, a friend of ours, and myself

    met for dinner tonight at a diner. My dbf and I live together and

    granted, he pays most things. My dbf did pay my health insurance a

    few times last year and I have offered to pay him back at some point

    but he doesn't want me to pay him back but I intend to somehow. I

    mostly pay for food and most of the time, my gas. I drive his car

    since we got rid of mine 2 years ago. The friend of ours suggested

    that my dbf declare me on his income taxes. Last year we didn't do it

    because I needed the money to pay on some bills and I was paying on

    my health insurance. I made about $13,269.00 in 2007 and live in MD.

    We will most likely be using the short forms this year as I don't

    have enough to itemize. My questions are: If my dbf declares me on

    his taxes, will I still get the $600.00 rebate that the federal

    government will be giving? Will I get a refund of any kind if I

    declare 0 on dependents? I know I am coming off as selfish and I

    really am not. In about 6 years I'm willing to (when I reach 55) take

    the money from my IRAs and jointly invest the money with my dbf for a

    small home in a retirement community in FL. I'm looking for another

    job that pays much better. I don't have enough money to go to the

    dentist and God help me if I get sick because I don't have enough

    money to cover prescriptions and I'm making monthly payments on the

    bills I owe on including medical bills and bills from an auto

    accident I had last year that hasn't been settled. My dbf spends

    money like it's no big deal then complaines how much he owes in

    credit card bills and he has a real good paying job. I have health

    insurance through where I work as long as I work a certain number of

    hours per week. Tonight dbf is wanting us to go to FL to check out

    the area the friend mentioned above and the friend's girlfriend

    bought a place. He went earlier this year right before his son came

    down sick. Here we are, and dbf buys golf clubs (Ping clubs) that he

    could not afford and on credit card of course. He has his son's

    medical bills to pay for since his son that is off at college came

    down seriously sick unexpectly and the medical bills are sky high so

    far, (I'm not close to the son. He hasn't liked me from day 1 and it

    doesn't matter what I do. Dbf's son says I try to mother him. I

    don't.) I keep our home pretty clean (not obsessive with cleaning

    like my dbf is.) I keep things running at home and work as many hours

    as I can get at my part-time job. I am counting on the $600.00 to use

    to pay off some debt and have some emergency money in my savings

    account. Dbf could even afford to get a root canal today and I can't

    afford to go to the dentist. I don't like him supporting me at all.

    I'm doing the best I can to find another job, but it's very hard in

    MD to find a job, especially in the budget area without a degree. If

    I knew that dbf wouldn't blow the money and give me half of what I

    would get back if he didn't declare me on his taxes, I would go along

    with it a lot easier. But he blew money on golf clubs and now wants

    to go back to FL. We can't afford to go to FL even though we'd be

    staying at a friend's home and I don't want to go if the friends are

    at their home. If I'm going to go on vacation it should be one we can

    afford. Besides, I'm not interested in vacationing with friends this

    year even if it's for 3 days. I care about getting debt paid down,

    and getting an emergency fund established. I'm paying on closed

    credit cards, and don't want to open up any new credit cards, not

    that I could get one with my rating (I don't know what my rating

    is.) Any suggestions? If possible, could people e-mail me privately

    please?



    Thank you.

    Velina










  2. #2
    Nikki Papenburg
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    If you go to IRS.gov most of your questions will be answered. But I can tell you that if you do file and you make under 26,000 you will only receive a $300 dollar rebate.

    Nikki
    Ottawa,IL

    velinabowen <velinabowen@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi Everyone,
    I'm a bit livid at the moment. My dbf, a friend of ours, and myself
    met for dinner tonight at a diner. My dbf and I live together and
    granted, he pays most things. My dbf did pay my health insurance a
    few times last year and I have offered to pay him back at some point
    but he
    doesn't want me to pay him back but I intend to somehow. I
    mostly pay for food and most of the time, my gas. I drive his car
    since we got rid of mine 2 years ago. The friend of ours suggested
    that my dbf declare me on his income taxes. Last year we didn't do it
    because I needed the money to pay on some bills and I was paying on
    my health insurance. I made about $13,269.00 in 2007 and live in MD.
    We will most likely be using the short forms this year as I don't
    have enough to itemize. My questions are: If my dbf declares me on
    his taxes, will I still get the $600.00 rebate that the federal
    government will be giving? Will I get a refund of any kind if I
    declare 0 on dependents? I know I am coming off as selfish and I
    really am not. In about 6 years I'm willing to (when I reach 55) take
    the money from my IRAs and jointly invest the money with my dbf for a
    small home in a retirement community in FL. I'm looking
    for another
    job that pays much better. I don't have enough money to go to the
    dentist and God help me if I get sick because I don't have enough
    money to cover prescriptions and I'm making monthly payments on the
    bills I owe on including medical bills and bills from an auto
    accident I had last year that hasn't been settled. My dbf spends
    money like it's no big deal then complaines how much he owes in
    credit card bills and he has a real good paying job. I have health
    insurance through where I work as long as I work a certain number of
    hours per week. Tonight dbf is wanting us to go to FL to check out
    the area the friend mentioned above and the friend's girlfriend
    bought a place. He went earlier this year right before his son came
    down sick. Here we are, and dbf buys golf clubs (Ping clubs) that he
    could not afford and on credit card of course. He has his son's
    medical bills to pay for since his son that is
    off at college came
    down seriously sick unexpectly and the medical bills are sky high so
    far, (I'm not close to the son. He hasn't liked me from day 1 and it
    doesn't matter what I do. Dbf's son says I try to mother him. I
    don't.) I keep our home pretty clean (not obsessive with cleaning
    like my dbf is.) I keep things running at home and work as many hours
    as I can get at my part-time job. I am counting on the $600.00 to use
    to pay off some debt and have some emergency money in my savings
    account. Dbf could even afford to get a root canal today and I can't
    afford to go to the dentist. I don't like him supporting me at all.
    I'm doing the best I can to find another job, but it's very hard in
    MD to find a job, especially in the budget area without a degree. If
    I knew that dbf wouldn't blow the money and give me half of what I
    would get back if he didn't declare me on his taxes, I would go along
    with it a
    lot easier. But he blew money on golf clubs and now wants
    to go back to FL. We can't afford to go to FL even though we'd be
    staying at a friend's home and I don't want to go if the friends are
    at their home. If I'm going to go on vacation it should be one we can
    afford. Besides, I'm not interested in vacationing with friends this
    year even if it's for 3 days. I care about getting debt paid down,
    and getting an emergency fund established. I'm paying on closed
    credit cards, and don't want to open up any new credit cards, not
    that I could get one with my rating (I don't know what my rating
    is.) Any suggestions? If possible, could people e-mail me privately
    please?

    Thank you.
    Velina

    [/quote]



  3. #3
    armstrca
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">No you will only get it if you file.<SPAN> Wait until next year (2008 taxes) to be included on your BF's taxes.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">For the other Q, I don't know - you will need to ask a tax specialist.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">



    From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of velinabowen
    Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 7:46 PM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt;FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman';">I'm a bit livid at the moment. The friend of ours suggested that my dbf declare me on his income taxes. If my dbf declares me on his taxes, will I still get the $600.00 rebate that the federal government will be giving? Will I get a refund of any kind if I declare 0 on dependents?



  4. #4
    Christine Mayernik
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    For one, I don't think you qualify as a dependent to be claimed on his tax return. You can go to www.irs.gov to look up the rules for dependent. If there is an exception somewhere and you can be claimed then figure the returns both ways. And see if there is a hug difference between him claiming head of household w/one dependent and you claiming no dependentsand then the two of you claiming single and claiming yourselves. I'm not sure about the refund coming in may. I believe that in order to get that refund you must claim a dependent on your return. You would also have to do the worksheet to figure if he paid for more than 1/2 of your expenses all year. That will truly decide if he can claim you as a dependent as long as you truly qualify for living in the household. Go to the IRS website you can find out all the answers there.

    velinabowen
    <velinabowen@yahoo.com>
    wrote: Hi Everyone,
    I'm a bit livid at the moment. My dbf, a friend of ours, and myself
    met for dinner tonight at a diner. My dbf and I live together and
    granted, he pays most things. My dbf did pay my health insurance a
    few times last year and I have offered to pay him back at some point
    but he doesn't want me to pay him back but I intend to somehow. I
    mostly pay for food and most of the time, my gas. I drive his car
    since we got rid of mine 2 years ago. The friend of ours suggested
    that
    my dbf declare me on his income taxes. Last year we didn't do it
    because I needed the money to pay on some bills and I was paying on
    my health insurance. I made about $13,269.00 in 2007 and live in MD.
    We will most likely be using the short forms this year as I don't
    have enough to itemize. My questions are: If my dbf declares me on
    his taxes, will I still get the $600.00 rebate that the federal
    government will be giving? Will I get a refund of any kind if I
    declare 0 on dependents? I know I am coming off as selfish and I
    really am not. In about 6 years I'm willing to (when I reach 55) take
    the money from my IRAs and jointly invest the money with my dbf for a
    small home in a retirement community in FL. I'm looking for another
    job that pays much better. I don't have enough money to go to the
    dentist and God help me if I get sick because I don't have enough
    money to cover prescriptions and I'm making monthly payments on the

    bills I owe on including medical bills and bills from an auto
    accident I had last year that hasn't been settled. My dbf spends
    money like it's no big deal then complaines how much he owes in
    credit card bills and he has a real good paying job. I have health
    insurance through where I work as long as I work a certain number of
    hours per week. Tonight dbf is wanting us to go to FL to check out
    the area the friend mentioned above and the friend's girlfriend
    bought a place. He went earlier this year right before his son came
    down sick. Here we are, and dbf buys golf clubs (Ping clubs) that he
    could not afford and on credit card of course. He has his son's
    medical bills to pay for since his son that is off at college came
    down seriously sick unexpectly and the medical bills are sky high so
    far, (I'm not close to the son. He hasn't liked me from day 1 and it
    doesn't matter what I do. Dbf's son says I try to mother him. I

    don't.) I keep our home pretty clean (not obsessive with cleaning
    like my dbf is.) I keep things running at home and work as many hours
    as I can get at my part-time job. I am counting on the $600.00 to use
    to pay off some debt and have some emergency money in my savings
    account. Dbf could even afford to get a root canal today and I can't
    afford to go to the dentist. I don't like him supporting me at all.
    I'm doing the best I can to find another job, but it's very hard in
    MD to find a job, especially in the budget area without a degree. If
    I knew that dbf wouldn't blow the money and give me half of what I
    would get back if he didn't declare me on his taxes, I would go along
    with it a lot easier. But he blew money on golf clubs and now wants
    to go back to FL. We can't afford to go to FL even though we'd be
    staying at a friend's home and I don't want to go if the friends are
    at their home. If I'm going to go on vacation
    it should be one we can
    afford. Besides, I'm not interested in vacationing with friends this
    year even if it's for 3 days. I care about getting debt paid down,
    and getting an emergency fund established. I'm paying on closed
    credit cards, and don't want to open up any new credit cards, not
    that I could get one with my rating (I don't know what my rating
    is.) Any suggestions? If possible, could people e-mail me privately
    please?

    Thank you.
    Velina




    &#32;
    Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] "] Try it now.[/url]


  5. #5
    Donna Shad
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    I researched the rebate checks for my mom and son. My son is 24

    and is a dependent so he will not get a check. My mom who is not

    required to file taxes will get a check even though she didn't

    work because those on social security will get a check. If you

    are claimed as a dependent you will not get a check. Minors that

    are still living at home will not be considered after the age of

    16 (if memory serves me right). So a married couple with 2

    dependents (as in my case 18 and 24) will only get a rebate as

    if there were no dependents. Neither of the boys will get a

    rebate check either because they are dependents on my taxes.

    The oldest son must file taxes for the first time but he will

    not get anything back from fed because he can't claim himself (I

    am providing 80% of his care/housing/ect). He will get a small

    state refund because of paying in to the state taxes but it will

    be only a few dollars.

    Donna









    __________________________________________________ ______________________________\

    ____

    Be a better friend, newshound, and

    know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.








  6. #6
    Chrissey
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)





    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">Donna,
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">Your mom will only get the rebate if she files a tax return even though she doesn't have to. My in laws are also on social security and had to file a return to get the rebate. Here's some good info... http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2008/03...e-for-free.htm
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">Chrissey
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">
    -------Original Message-------


    From: Donna Shad
    Date: 3/20/2008 9:22:36 AM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    I researched the rebate checks for my mom and son. My son is 24
    and is a dependent so he will not get a check. My mom who is not
    required to file taxes will get a check even though she didn't
    work because those on social security will get a check. If you
    are claimed as a dependent you will not get a check. Minors that
    are still living at home will not be considered after the age of
    16 (if memory serves me right). So a married couple with 2
    dependents (as in my case 18 and 24) will only get a rebate as
    if there were no dependents. Neither of the boys will get a
    rebate check either because they are dependents on my taxes.
    The oldest son must file taxes for the first time but he will
    not get anything back from fed because he can't claim himself (I
    am providing 80% of his care/housing/ect). He will get a small
    state refund because of paying in to the state taxes but it will
    be only a few dollars.
    Donna









  7. #7
    Donna Shad
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    Chrissey

    Not according to the person I spoke with at the IRS. He said

    that they would be giving a lump sum to the social security

    administration for them to disperse.

    Donna

    --- Chrissey <ChrisseyP@centurytel.net> wrote:



    > Donna,

    >

    > Your mom will only get the rebate if she files a tax return

    > even though she

    > doesn't have to. My in laws are also on social security and

    > had to file a

    > return to get the rebate. Here's some good info...

    > http://usgovinfo

    >

    about.com/b/2008/03/09/rebate-only-tax-filers-may-now-file-for-free.htm

    >

    > Chrissey









    __________________________________________________ ______________________________\

    ____












  8. #8
    Chrissey
    Guest

    Default Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)





    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">Interesting. The IRS person my mother in law talked to told her the only way they'd get it was to file a return. Sounds like everyone is confused. LOL
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">Chrissey
    <DIV style="FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma;">
    -------Original Message-------


    From: Donna Shad
    Date: 3/20/2008 1:48:43 PM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: RE: Budget101.com : Federal Government Giving $600.00 Question(s)

    Chrissey
    Not according to the person I spoke with at the IRS. He said
    that they would be giving a lump sum to the social security
    administration for them to disperse.
    Donna
    --- Chrissey <ChrisseyP@centurytel.net> wrote:

    > Donna,
    >
    > Your mom will only get the rebate if she files a tax return
    > even though she
    > doesn't have to.My in laws are also on social security and
    > had to file a
    > return to get the rebate.









 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •