Dry Oven Canning

Oven canning is a hotly debated dangerous method of canning in which jars are filled with food and then baked here are the pros and cons & how to's for you to decide Read More: Article: Dry Oven Canning

canning, oven, article, cons, pros, read, http://www.budget101.com/content.php?r=3975-how-to-can-using-dry-oven-canning, decide, food, dangerous, method, debated, hotly, filled, jars, baked

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Creator & Designer of Budget101.com
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Article: Dry Oven Canning

Oven canning is a hotly debated dangerous method of canning in which jars are filled with food and then baked here are the pros and cons & how to's for you to decide

Read More: Article: Dry Oven Canning
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums
    KitchenMixGifts.Budget101.com

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you for the the article. I've done research on it and I've found pros and cons. If I do decide to try it I will do a test batch and see how that goes.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just don' t see how this can be safe.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dry Oven Canning

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara1960 View Post
    I just don' t see how this can be safe.
    Fully Agreed, IMHO it just isn't safe and isn't worth trying!
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

**The happiest people are not those with the best or the most of everything, The happiest people know how to make the best of everything they have.**

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had not heard of this process before. I very much appreciate this article, the details and information presented. I have to agree that this method seems to me to be inadequate. Why waste the time and supplies...and while you might get one or two good ones....how good are they really? You'll find out, when you need it most and it isn't any good. Thank you for this information!

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

This method has been proven to be unsafe. Why take a chance on eating food that could harm your body or potentially kill you.
    Pressure canning or water bath method are both safe and proven. You just must be sure to follow the proper instructions either from a home extension service or from a good canning book. Some of the recipes on the Internet are not safe. I've been home canning for over thirty years and love to eat our home grown food because it has no salt or preservatives and is grown organically.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, but I think you're missing the point here. First of all, you state that one cannot be sure of the temperature in the oven and would have to remove the lid to test the internal temperature, but the lids are NOT put on until after the jars are removed from the oven.

This also addresses your other concern that jars could explode. I can see how they could IF the lids were indeed on while they were in the oven, but since that's not the case, I really don't think the danger is very great that the glasses could explode. I think the major issue is with the term "canning." Oven "canning" is not really a method of canning, but simply a way of trying to extend the storage/shelf life of foods that already have a long shelf life because they are dry. Rather than storing a bag of flour in the paper bag that it comes in, for example, you are putting it in a less decomposable and less penetrable storage container and try to keep it as sterile as possible. I really don't see how you are going to pressure can dry flour!

Oven "canning" is NOT a way of preserving foods that would otherwise spoil fairly quickly. It's a way to safeguard the storability of foods that already have a long storage life and presumably are already free of contaminants like mold and spores. I can the regular way, I dehydrate and I oven can--each has its benefits for certain types of food, and I would disagree with your oven canning list that includes dehydrated foods. I would never oven can home-dehydrated foods precisely because I cannot accurately assure that the moisture has been sufficiently and consistently removed. Therefore, NOT a good thing to oven "can".

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Dry Oven Canning

Quote Originally Posted by heidiimnot View Post
    First of all, you state that one cannot be sure of the temperature in the oven and would have to remove the lid to test the internal temperature, but the lids are NOT put on until after the jars are removed from the oven.
    While that's true, by the time you pulled it out of the oven and attempted to test the internal temperature of the goods you're attempting to "oven can" the temperature would be reduced too quickly to cap it and seal out bacteria, thereby being USELESS, as I mentioned in the article.

This also addresses your other concern that jars could explode. I can see how they could IF the lids were indeed on while they were in the oven, but since that's not the case, I really don't think the danger is very great that the glasses could explode.
    Actually there have been several reported instances of attempted "dry canning" explosions of goods. Some people feel dry canning is safe and use it for Everything, including sauces, tomato products, etc we do not, nor do recommend it, as the article clearly states.

Therefore, NOT a good thing to oven "can".
    Precisely the point of the article, I'm glad you're on our side on this issue. We've had far too many requests for Oven canning directions over the years and hate having to explain just how dangerous this is to ones family and ones health.
    ~Liss~
    Creator & Designer of
    www.Budget101.com
    www.GroceryBudget101.com
    Budget101 Forums

*Newbies*
    Forum How To Guide

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast