Anyone Storing Foods for hard times?- Camping & Outdoor Recipes

Are any of you storing foods and other items for Hard times or whatever? We have just started. I do love preserving foods; canning, dehydrating and things like that! And love gardening and putting up the fresh veggies. Yum :groceries:

foods, storing, times, love, hard, things, preserving, canning, dehyd gardening, groceries, veggies, fresh, putting, items, started

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Anyone Storing Foods for hard times?

Are any of you storing foods and other items for Hard times or whatever? We have just started. I do love preserving foods; canning, dehydrating and things like that! And love gardening and putting up the fresh veggies. Yum
    LNsGirl,
    Debbie J

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone Storing Foods for hard times?

I grew up in New Orleans, so storing food is a way of life for me. My thinking is dehydrated foods, with canned supplements, is one way to go. I have stored goods in a variety of methods, but the latter two is my primary method for now;-D

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by LNsGirl View Post
    Are any of you storing foods and other items for Hard times or whatever?
    Absolutely!
    Every week or every two weeks, I try to grab extras of what's on a really good sale to put back.
    Non-perishables are my favorite to stock up on.
    I have canned tomatoes...I -do- make my own jams, jellies, preserves, and some marmalades. I canned butter once, but it didn't last long term. I've also done a few pickles...that's about it though, as far as preserving it myself.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, we always stock up for "In Case Of" whatever. It is just a way of life for us. Thanks; Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I grew up with my Mom doing this, and so did hubby. =) I have even ordered some dehydrated eggs for just in case. Hubby thinks I'm extreme in this, but I don't. I have a feeling that food will be so high in price that some people won't be able to afford it. Some are barely making it now. Did you know that you can can water. LOL I didn't until yesterday. To me I get so much pleasure in looking in my well stocked pantry and being able to feel my family. There are just the two of us here, but I can't let our children (5 between us), or grandchildren (15) go hungry. I am also slowly buying up things that I may need later on, such as a grain mill (hand cranked), and a pasta machine. We already have a meat grinder.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one. I am also making mixes to use in my food storage.
    LNsGirl,
    Debbie J

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

does canning foods for my mom to suppliment her tiny food budget count? it helps her stretch her retirement income (what there is of it) in the meantime i get to learn and hone these skills. works for both of us

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

As I mentioned above, 'hoarding' food was a way of life growing up. If you took the last one of an item in the pantry, put it on the grocery list to replace -- if on sale, get several. Woe to the person who didn't place something on the list! LOL! Canned meats like chicken, turkey, tuna, and salmon are a must. Instant mashed potatoes -- even though I don't use them for that purpose -- are a great thickening agent for sauces, soups, stews, and in a pinch...mashed potatoes...giggle... Dried beans, rice, corn meal, assorted flours, and powdered milk are another must. My DD is so freaked out about the 'impending' doom that she actually asked me to advise her on a basic food kit that she could pack in a back pack! I gave her a basic list, but advised that she needed to return to the way that she was brought up -- keeping a stocked pantry! I have my own well -- great tasting water -- and I keep gallon jugs with 20 drops of bleach in each gallon as a preservative in my shed to use for whatever I need them for in emergencies. Needless to say...I am stocked! LOL!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started buying extra food and I'm very interested in oven canning dry goods to keep them fresh and bug free. We lifted our bed so now I can store canned goods under there.

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am also stocking my shelves. I am working it in a three way plan. One: I have 6 months of shelf stable long term food storage - from Shelf Reliance. Two: I purchase extra when I am shopping - that way I have a rotating stock of what I eat the most. Three: I have the home prepared items. I am a single woman so I have given up on canning for myself. When my daughter cans, I beg a few jars from her. I purchase fruits and veggies at the farmers market and dehydrate myself. I also make my own jerky. These are shorter term stocks but always incorporated. I feel secure in knowing if something happens and I need to stay in my home, I have food available. I also have a way to cook if the power is out. My biggest challenge is water and heat. My apartment does have a fireplace but no place to "store" wood to burn.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mos View Post
    As I mentioned above, 'hoarding' food was a way of life growing up. If you took the last one of an item in the pantry, put it on the grocery list to replace -- if on sale, get several. Woe to the person who didn't place something on the list! LOL! Canned meats like chicken, turkey, tuna, and salmon are a must. Instant mashed potatoes -- even though I don't use them for that purpose -- are a great thickening agent for sauces, soups, stews, and in a pinch...mashed potatoes...giggle... Dried beans, rice, corn meal, assorted flours, and powdered milk are another must. My DD is so freaked out about the 'impending' doom that she actually asked me to advise her on a basic food kit that she could pack in a back pack! I gave her a basic list, but advised that she needed to return to the way that she was brought up -- keeping a stocked pantry! I have my own well -- great tasting water -- and I keep gallon jugs with 20 drops of bleach in each gallon as a preservative in my shed to use for whatever I need them for in emergencies. Needless to say...I am stocked! LOL!
    I need you to explain this process to me...the drops of bleach are in the (tap?) water and it's makes them stable, safe to store for long term storage, and is safe to drink OR just to use for other purposes???...
    Or have I completely misunderstood your response...I'm VERY interested in increasing my stockpile of water, but unfortunately, at this time, I really can't afford to go out and buy multiple cases...too many unexpected bills and such. :-/ :sighs: Maybe one day...

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

20 drops of bleach per gallon -- you can fill with any water to make it potable... I prefer to stock up on water purification tablets, 2 tablets per quart of undrinkable water = potable water... and the tablets last close to 5 years -- they aren't overly expensive either...

for emergencies, I have a bathtub bladder that I can fill up pretty fast for my family...it holds 100 gallons

water tablets: Amazon.com: Potable Aqua Water Treatment Tablets: Sports & Outdoors

bathtub bladder: WaterBOB WB-06-001 Emergency Drinking Water Storage - Amazon.com
    Only in the United States is it permissible to sell food without the labeling of Genetically Modified Organisms. This needs to stop, we DESERVE to know what is in our food!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

There is a good site on how much bleach to add to your water to make it safe for consumption. It is important to know that if you are on city water, adding more chlorine than necessary can be harmful. The max suggested amount of bleach per gallon is 16 drops (1/4 tsp) per gallon of tap water to store your water.

Her is the link for more info. EMERGENCY DRINKING WATER SUPPLIES
    ~Life is not measured by how many breaths we take, but how many times our breaths are taken away!~

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I need to buy a bed frame to raise my bed so I can start storing items beneath it. We will be buying some storage shelves for the extras we are starting to get. I just bought 31 boxes of pasta that were on sale, so we have a packed pantry of pasta.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Mom always had a pantry shelf with extra food stocked up, just in case. She lived through the Great Depression and learned to be prepared. My last ex thought I was crazy for keeping more than we needed, and I had to pare things down. Now my cupboards contain little for today and NOTHING for tomorrow. Time to go back to my roots and stock up.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I completely understand about budgets...that's why we're all here, right?! LOL! The gallon jugs are milk containers that I've washed and the bleach acts as an antibacterial agent and preservative. You can safely use them for cooking, drinking, or any other use. If you use 'city' water, you shouldn't have to add the bleach. Because this is about the amount of bleach (sodium hypochlorinate) that the city has added to the water per gallon as required by the EPA to ensure safe drinking water. However, if you collect a gallon of water and leave it uncapped for about a week, the reagent will diffuse out in about a week (it prefers existence is a gaseous state and will leave water in that state). If you have your own well, as I do, I add the bleach to gallons that I plan to use as back-up and storage. Please note, in these re-used containers, the bleach will still diffuse out after a few months but that's okay. If the container hasn't been opened the safety and quality of the water remains as any contaminants have been removed.
    This was probably more information than you were looking for, BUT...if I failed in advising you on how to collect, preserve, and save water...PLEASE let me know! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast