Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tracy Feuer

Default Cutting back on electricity

I was just sharing how we have been cutting back.

We are on budget billing with our electric company we are all electric so last year our budget billing amount went to $249 a month.

So we got busy.

Started hanging clothes on the line

replaced our lightbulbs with the low energy bulbs we replaced one bulb each week till the whole house was converted.

We started washing all of our clothes in cold water.

started using the dish washer on water saver cycle

bought two window unit air conditioners and close off the rooms we are not using so we ac the living area during the day and the bedrooms at night. These window units cut our summer bills from over $350 to around $80 a month.

In the winter we bought one of those oil filled electric radiators and close off the bedrooms during the day that oil filled unit heats the living area and the big heating unit doesn't come on during the day.

At night we do use the big central heat unit.

We hope to use our tax return to install a woodstove this would help a lot on our electric bill.

We recently were readjusted on our budget bill which last march was $249 a month now is $132a month.

This came just in time because DH lost the good job he had in construction and now after three months of looking he has found a job but it is 4 dollars an hour less than he was making before.

So we will need all the help we can get.

Tracy in VA

<hr>Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailŪ-get your "fix". Check it out.

mem68

I wash everything in cold water. Hang clothes out when my health allows.Cut the heat down at night. Use down comforts on the beds.-got them on sale for $39.00 and they have paid for themselves over.
    Use the small oven that toasts,bakes,etc. for mking cornbread,biscuits etc.Hang small items on a wooden dryer rack in the house and outside when warm.Use microwave for many things-warm ups,heating water for jello,warm lemons,etc.
    Mking my 10 yo wear old socks in the house for warmth.We wear extra shirts during the day. cut off a light when we leave a room.Don't use the fan in the bathroom.Have a hot water heater timer and only heat 2 hrs/day.
    do large cooking on one day -reheat for 3-4 days.
    Rereading The Tightwad Gazette!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [quote]
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:58 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Cutting back on electricity

I LOVE hanging out my clothes. I do however NOT hang out towels and Jeans and underware.

mem68

My budget billing is 120/month and I keep trying to get it lower.
    [quote]
    To: budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:36 AM
    Subject: Budget101.com : Cutting back on electricity

I was just sharing how we have been cutting back.

We are on budget billing with our electric company we are all electric so last year our budget billing amount went to $249 a month.

Dee Bleau

I LOVE hanging out my clothes. I do however NOT hang out towels and Jeans and underware. I dont like te stiff feeling of the towels and Jeans. I wash everything in warm and rinse in cold. Does it wash the same in cold? How about heating blankets at night? then turn the heat down. I do have to get new air conditioners for the summer. I run fans in the kitchen and the living room more than air conditioners though. I open the windows at night and close everything down during the day. We have a pool that i have the kids go in when they are hot and such.

Tracy Feuer <tracyfeuer@hotmail.com> wrote: I was just sharing how we have been cutting back.

So we got busy.

Started hanging clothes on the line

replaced our lightbulbs with the low energy bulbs we replaced one bulb each week till the whole house was converted.

We started washing all of our clothes in cold water.

started using the dish washer on water saver cycle

bought two window unit air conditioners and close off the rooms we are not using so we ac the living area during the day and the bedrooms at night. These window units cut our summer bills from over $350 to around $80 a
    month.

In the winter we bought one of those oil filled electric radiators and close off the bedrooms during the day that oil filled unit heats the living area and the big heating unit doesn't come on during the day.

At night we do use the big central heat unit.

We hope to use our tax return to install a woodstove this would help a lot on our electric bill.

We recently were readjusted on our budget bill which last march was $249 a month now is $132a month.

This came just in time because DH lost the good job he had in construction and now after three months of looking he has found a job but it is 4 dollars an hour less than he was making before.

So we will need all the help we can get.

Tracy in VA

Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your HotmailŪ-get your "fix". Check it out.

<FONT face="arial black" color="#0000ff">Dee <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Need Vehicle work Done? Contact <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Time Wise Mobile Mechanic 518-470-2377 <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Ask for Jeff..He will set up a time to come and meet with <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">you to check out your vehicle problems. <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">He comes to you at home or work or where ever you happen to be! <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Open 24 hrs

Karen Pierce

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">My experience has been that everything washes the same in cold. Have never had a problem with it.
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">I don't use heating blankets or anything like that, I use a nice down filled comforter. Keeps me just as warm and cozy as any heating blanket would.
    <FONT face="Comic Sans MS" color="#008000" size="4">KarenP
    <BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #008000 2px solid;">
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:58 AM
    Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Cutting back on electricity

I LOVE hanging out my clothes. I do however NOT hang out towels and Jeans and underware.

I dont like te stiff feeling of the towels and Jeans. I wash everything in warm and rinse in cold. Does it wash the same in cold?

How about heating blankets at night? then turn the heat down. I do have to get new air conditioners for the summer. I run fans in the kitchen and the living room more than air conditioners though. I open the windows at night and close everything down during the day.

We have a pool that i have the kids go in when they are hot and such.

Dee Bleau

The Tightwad Gazette!!!!! !!!!!!! I will have to read that, Sounds great to me.

mem68 <mildreda@lcs.net> wrote: I wash everything in cold water. Hang clothes out when my health allows.Cut the heat down at night. Use down comforts on the beds.-got them on sale for $39.00 and they have paid for themselves over. Use the small oven that toasts,bakes,etc. for mking cornbread,biscuits etc.Hang small items on a wooden dryer
    rack in the house and outside when warm.Use microwave for many things-warm ups,heating water for jello,warm lemons,etc. Mking my 10 yo wear old socks in the house for warmth.We wear extra shirts during the day. cut off a light when we leave a room.Don't use the fan in the bathroom.Have a hot water heater timer and only heat 2 hrs/day. do large cooking on one day -reheat for 3-4 days. Rereading The Tightwad Gazette!!!!!!!!!!!! [quote] ----- Original Message ----- From: Dee Bleau To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:58 AM Subject: Re: Budget101.com : Cutting back on electricity

<FONT face="arial black" color="#0000ff">Dee <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Need Vehicle work Done? Contact <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Time Wise Mobile Mechanic 518-470-2377 <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Ask for Jeff..He will set up a time to come and meet with <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">you to check out your vehicle problems. <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">He comes to you at home or work or where ever you happen to be! <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Open 24 hrs

Elizabeth Farnsworth

My husband seems to think that the stuff you put on your windows to help insulate them doesn't work.
    We have
    <UL>
    <LI>70 yr old single pane windows</LI>
    <LI>not sure about insulation in walls</LI>
    <LI>drafty doors</LI>
    <LI>a gravity heater</LI>[/list]
    We can't afford to do anything and were renting from my grandmother. Our electric bill was a whopping $705.00 last month! Our kids (adult) live here and they got an old fridge and i'm thiking that might be the cost but I dunno. I'm gonna get this gadget that will check and tell me what is costing what to run.

Elizabeth Farnsworth
    Get your clean on with Shaklee

john

I would check with my local power company to check my home for power

loss and how to correct or repair my home to consever power. You may

qualify for discounts after the repairs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast