Results 1 to 1 of 1
03-14-2008, 02:11 PM #1R NORTHGuest
PESTO RECIPE - USING DRIED (and on salmon)
FOUND IT!! .. ignore the comments about knobs and which spoon to use these are visual cues for my daughter when cooking
RIA's PESTO: ** store brands sometimes add hydrogenated oils vs olive oil & have much more salt
4 - 5 T dried basil
2 T dried parsley
2 tsp garlic
about 2 tsp finely chopped onion
sprinkle black pepper
1/2 C cheese (*I use whatever I have feta, parm, etc) this is "to look'
olive oil (this is to make is semi spreadable)
OPT: pine nuts or chopped almonds (*I find these make an acceptable sub for pine nuts - cheaper too)
Mix together in a bowl .. taste test do you need more cayenne? .. you can store left overs in the fridge use a glass container (*good on pizza, or greek lasagna too)
PESTO SALMON (*can use tilipia, or any kind of fish)
6 skinless, boneless fresh or frozen salmon fillets
** Thaw fish, if frozen. If in sealed plastic bags you can thaw in hot water.
1 T grated Parmesan cheese
<1/2 C Italian bread crumb
** Combine bread crumbs and cheese in small bowl.
about 1/2 C of pesto
SUPPLIES & PREP:
cookie sheet, timer (very important), hot pads, clear counter, veggie cutting board, cutting knife, 2 small bowls (1 for pesto, 1 for bread crumbs), long ice tea spoon (*this keeps hands away from heat coming off the cookie sheet), flat spatula
1. Measure thickness of fish. Usually they are about 1/2 inch thick. (*Cook 4-6 mins TOTAL for each 1/2 inch) .. Set the timer for 3 mins ..
2. Move rack so its about 4 inches from the heating coil on top of stove. (*Turn hand sideways this is about 3 -4 inches)
3. Use the bottle of olive oil with spout on cookie sheet. Place fish on the greased cookie sheet - tucking under any thin edges.
1. Preheat broiler (*put both knobs on broiler).
2. Broil 4 inches from heat for 3 minutes per 1/2-inch thickness. Turn over halfway through broiling, use spatula.
3. Spoon (*use long spoon) PESTO over fillets. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Broil 2 minutes more or until crumbs are lightly browned.
4. If the fish is not done you can finish with the microwave