adhd

with foods if it triggers a hyperactivity it is usually an allergy or intolerance to an ingredient -- if that is the concern have the children tested. In autism there is much talk about a gluten-free diet and casein free diet that anecdotally has seen much success, and helps alot with the "symptom"

allergy, autism, body, breakfast, center, chocolate, coffee, deal, diet, energy, free, hat, info, kids, minute, new york, problem, shopping deals, tools, weight, adhd, children, hyper, autistic, sweets, impulses, issues, carbs, anxiety, hide, sugar, milk, symptom, helps, search, hyperactivity, pediasure, youngsters, works, carnation, extra, instant, caffieine, stimulant, candies, stimulation, makes, version, stover, effective

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: adhd

Erica Hager

Default adhd

with foods if it triggers a hyperactivity it is usually an allergy or intolerance to an ingredient -- if that is the concern have the children tested. In autism there is much talk about a gluten-free diet and casein free diet that anecdotally has seen much success, and helps alot with the "symptom" of hyperactivity in autistic children -- just do a search on autism+diet. for adhd many reccomend a diet similar to the adult "body for life" diet -- ie whole grain carbs only and carbs only before activity where they will be needed for energy and protiens for focus.

the problem I ran into with my son was I was limiting sweets so much when he was first diagnosed with adhd before the autism diagnosis was we had an opposite backlash when it came time to give him meds which he cannot yet swallow -- I would put it into something sweet to hide it and he would look at it suspiciously and ignore it because he knew i didnt allow sweets. I gradually got him to accept sweets again and best way to hide clonidine I have found is in a hershey kiss with the soft center -- just push it sideways through the bottom very gently...........

as for weight gain there is pediasure, carnation instant breakfast chocolate milk (if kids are on wic and get milk this is especially cost effective) there is a sugar free version of this as well -- russell stover makes many sugar free candies.

diet sometimes helps, but not always one thing that works with youngsters is COFFEE as caffieine is a stimulant and children with adhd need extra stimulation to deal with the hyper impulses -- sounds backwards but its true -- they engage in "self stimulating" ie hyper behavior in order to try to control the hyper impulses.

definitely also have the children screened for autistic spectrum disorder as many autistic children are mislabeled as being adhd or hyper -- esp if child seems to have sensory issues as well or anxiety, speech issues, or defiant or oppositional behaviors. the adhd is often a symptom of autism look on autismspeaks.org for more info -- the info and help there also applies to adhd and anxiety as well.

Candy Holbert

Default adhd

How old is your son? Why is he on clonidine?

Be sure to check the label to be sure that Pedasure etc doesn't have

MSG in it. First do a search to get a list of all the different words

that they use to hide the fact that MSG is in it. Slim Fast for

example has MSG in it but it's not called MSG. Also IMO sugar free

things aren't good for kids as they can react to those as well as fake

sugar just isn't good for anyone.

Your right but a lot need a med as coffee isn't enough to do any good.

And a kid can be ADHD as well as be on the autistic spectrum. I

should know I have one that is both. His DX is ADHD with

ticks/Asperger's He took Clonidine for the tics for many years tho he

is now off it as most of the tics have either been outgrown or have

calmed down a lot.

I disagree that ADHD can be part of Autism I as well as both kids are

ADHD, my other son isn't Autistic at all. He does have other issues

tho. I think ADHD is a issue within it's self and not part of anything

else. I admit that I haven't done any reading on either topic for a

while now. Both of my kids are grown now so I have been thru it all

already.

Just my 2 cents on the subject

Candy

On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM, Erica Hager <ericahager2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

>

> >

> the problem I ran into with my son was I was limiting sweets so much when he

> was first diagnosed with adhd before the autism diagnosis was we had an

> opposite backlash when it came time to give him meds which he cannot yet

> swallow -- I would put it into something sweet to hide it and he would look

> at it suspiciously and ignore it because he knew i didnt allow sweets. I

> gradually got him to accept sweets again and best way to hide clonidine I

> have found is in a hershey kiss with the soft center -- just push it

> sideways through the bottom very gently...........

>

> as for weight gain there is pediasure, carnation instant breakfast chocolate

> milk (if kids are on wic and get milk this is especially cost effective)

> there is a sugar free version of this as well -- russell stover makes many

> sugar free candies.

>

> diet sometimes helps, but not always one thing that works with youngsters is

> COFFEE as caffieine is a stimulant and children with adhd need extra

> stimulation to deal with the hyper impulses -- sounds backwards but its true

> -- they engage in "self stimulating" ie hyper behavior in order to try to

> control the hyper impulses.

>

> definitely also have the children screened for autistic spectrum disorder as

> many autistic children are mislabeled as being adhd or hyper -- esp if child

> seems to have sensory issues as well or anxiety, speech issues, or defiant

> or oppositional behaviors. the adhd is often a symptom of autism look on

> autismspeaks.org for more info -- the info and help there also applies to

> adhd and anxiety as well.

> ________________________________

>

>

Erica Hager

Default adhd

autism and autistic spectrum disorders such as aspergers are often misdiagnosed as a combination of other things -- and the adhd and bipolar, tantrums, lack of sleep and so on are often symptoms of autism -- i would get her into a neurologist and pyschiatrist ASAP -- the sooner a proper diagnosis is determined the sooner you can get help for her, preschool age is often where autism is caught and its not a life sentence -- yes their lives are different but autistic kids often have an ABOVE average IQ but its hard to test them because there are often communication or speech issues though not always -- so many different words and diagnoses were thrown around when johnny was 1.5 to 3 yrs old -- oh it sounds like this or that people would say or my grandson or child has this or that and he
    behaved the same way -- all kinds of off the wall advice was given -- point i am making is a reg pediatrician isnt qualified to make a diagnosis ask for a referall for an autism screening with a pediatric neurologist they will give you alot of forms and questionaires to fill out and answer (dont know if they are online anywhere but prob are) and that will help them make a determination. they should also do an MRI and chromosonal bloodwork to rule out other disorders. htht

Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

Dee Bleau

Default adhd

I am part of a yahoo group: ODDsupport-2@yahoogroups.com THis is a great group of ppl with kids that have all sort of challenges. You may want to look and check it out. These are parents not professionals that share experiences and such. Also has great info on all topics. My son has ADHD/ODD Just thought that I would throw it out their.

Erica Hager <ericahager2005@yahoo.com> wrote: autism and autistic spectrum disorders such as aspergers are often misdiagnosed as a combination of other things -- and the adhd and bipolar, tantrums, lack of sleep and so on are often symptoms of autism -- i would get her into a neurologist and pyschiatrist ASAP -- the sooner a proper diagnosis is determined the sooner you can get help for her, preschool age is often where autism is caught and its not a life sentence -- yes their lives are different but autistic kids often have an ABOVE average IQ but its hard to test them because there are often communication or speech issues though not always -- so many different words and diagnoses were thrown around when johnny was 1.5 to 3 yrs old -- oh it sounds like this or that people would say or my grandson or child has this or that and he behaved the same way -- all kinds of off the wall advice was given --
    point i am making is a reg pediatrician isnt qualified to make a diagnosis ask for a referall for an autism screening with a pediatric neurologist they will give you alot of forms and questionaires to fill out and answer (dont know if they are online anywhere but prob are) and that will help them make a determination. they should also do an MRI and chromosonal bloodwork to rule out other disorders. htht
    Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your homepage.

<FONT face="arial black" color="#0000ff">Dee <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Need Vehicle work Done? Contact <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Time Wise Mobile Mechanic 518-470-2377 <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Ask for Jeff..He will set up a time to come and meet with <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">you to check out your vehicle problems. <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">He comes to you at home or work or where ever you happen to be! <FONT face="arial black" color="#007f7f">Open 24 hrs

Candy Holbert

Default adhd

On 3/15/08, Erica Hager <ericahager2005@yahoo.com> wrote:

> autism and autistic spectrum disorders such as aspergers are often

> misdiagnosed as a combination of other things -- and the adhd and bipolar,

> tantrums, lack of sleep and so on are often symptoms of autism -- i would

> get her into a neurologist and pyschiatrist ASAP -- the sooner a proper

> diagnosis is determined the sooner you can get help for her, preschool age

> is often where autism is caught and its not a life sentence -- yes their

> lives are different but autistic kids often have an ABOVE average IQ but its

> hard to test them because there are often communication or speech issues

>

This is true as I think my oldest has a much higher IQ that what he

tested at. His brother's is 140 and there have been times when listing

to them talk I could tell that he was able to follow what his younger

brother was saying. It was computer stuff that I think would of gone

over his head if his IQ wasn't above avg. too.

though not always -- so many different words and diagnoses were thrown

> around when johnny was 1.5 to 3 yrs old -- oh it sounds like this or that

> people would say or my grandson or child has this or that and he behaved the

> same way -- all kinds of off the wall advice was given -- point i am making

> is a reg pediatrician isnt qualified to make a diagnosis ask for a referall

> for an

> autism screening with a pediatric neurologist they will give you alot of

> forms and questionaires to fill out and answer (dont know if they are online

> anywhere but prob are) and that will help them make a determination. they

> should also do an MRI and chromosonal bloodwork to rule out other disorders.

> htht

>

>

>

>

__________________________________________________ ______________________________\

____

> Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

> http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

armstrca

Default adhd

<SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">See, my son had all those symptoms (the rages, throwing stuff, banging his head on the ground) and is ADHD inattentive and impulsive.<SPAN> It has been my experience that the rages get better when their communication skills get better.<SPAN> I worked for years with my son one how to communicate his frustration (gave him the words to use, reminded him the tantrums were inappropriate behavior). <SPAN>It takes a long time, but finally does work.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">We cannot diagnose any child over the net.<SPAN> Please see a Dr and a psychologist and get a professional diagnosis.<SPAN> Med are not a bad thing, but unless their disorder is dangerous, they generally do not like to medicate until they get to school-age.<SPAN> And if you can do it, have your child on stimulants and give only for school.<SPAN> Some kids disability is so great, they need meds all the time with them, a combo of non-stimulants and stimulants work best.<SPAN> Also, a warning, if your child is bipolar, ADHD meds may make it worse so if you have a wrong diagnosis, the issues will become worse.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">Oh... and the most important thing to remember, the meds are not a magic pill, they need to be complimented with behavior modification. 1-2-3 Magic is a great book to use with younger kids and love an logic with older kids (tweens & teens)..(<SPAN class="989195214-15022005"><FONT title="http://user.cybrzn.com/~kenyonck/add/books/1_2_3_magic.htm" face="Comic Sans MS">http://user.cybrzn.com/~kenyonck/add/books/1_2_3_magic.htm) Google the Love & Logic.
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt;COLOR: teal;FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS';">ADHD, autism , aspergers and ADD are all on the autism spectrum.<SPAN> Think of them all being on a number line with ADD being on the positive (or least bad) end and autism being on the negative end.<SPAN>

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Erica Hager
    Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:34 AM
    To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Budget101.com : adhd
    <o><FONT face="Times New Roman" color="#000000" size="3"></o>
    autism and autistic spectrum disorders such as aspergers are often misdiagnosed as a combination of other things -- and the adhd and bipolar, tantrums, lack of sleep and so on are often symptoms of autism -- i would get her into a neurologist and pyschiatrist ASAP

Erica Hager

Default adhd

"ADHD, autism , aspergers and ADD are all on the autism spectrum. Think of them all being on a number line with ADD being on the positive (or least bad) end and autism being on the negative end."

wow I think I understand what you are trying to get across but as a parent of a child with autism that was very poorly and insensitively phrased! to imply that a child with autism is "worse" or "more negative" is inaccurate at very least. ADHD, Aspergers, Autism are related disorders in that sometimes autism first presents as a hyper child in its symptoms, very much like a combination of ADHD and Anxiety, which was actually the first diagnosis my son received. There are children with ADHD that act out much more then children with autism. Autism isn't a negative thing, it often is a very positive thing, but our negative perceptions and negative stereotypes of people and children with autism is what is negative.

the official classifications of autism (with various subsets) are as follows: please look through the links i sent and there is more detailed info there.

Aspergers Syndrome (milder autistic symptoms, higher iq's often undiagnosed)
    PDD-NOS Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified
    Autism (low functioning (nonverbal no communicative -- the stereotypical -- this is often called profound autism and high functioning autism (child is verbal, normal-genius IQ but has severe autistic symptoms, especially in times of high stress)

unfortunately many people when they think of autism they think of the stereotypical low-functioning autistic or the more famous "rain man" played by dustin hoffman who was an autistic savant -- he does a great job portraying some of the symptoms of an autistic child.

also remember that classifications change as a child grows and learns to cope, and different doctors perspectives.

but please lets refrain from labeling children or their disease positive or negative. there are alot of people in the autistic community that call the misunderstanding of autism by "normal" people "neuro-typical" meaning the typical stereotype of someone who doesn't "get" autism.

in any event I hope i havent offended anyone but its a sensitivity thing, politically correct and all that.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. [/url] "] Try it now.[/url]

angies_groups

Default adhd

From: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com [mailto:Budget101_@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Erica Hager

Sent: Monday, March 17, 2008 9:21
    PM

To: Budget101_@yahoogroups.com

Subject: Budget101.com : adhd

"ADHD, autism , aspergers and ADD are all on the autism spectrum.
    Think of them all being on a number line with ADD being on the positive (or
    least bad) end and autism being on the negative end."

wow I think I understand what you are trying to get across but as a
    parent of a child with autism that was very poorly and insensitively phrased!
    to imply that a child with autism is "worse" or "more
    negative" is inaccurate at very least.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast